This doesn't sound good...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: This doesn't sound good...

Post by BASSMAN »

Whoo Hoo!! Again! =D> \:D/

Here's to a 100% recovery! :toimonster:

Time will tell... :popcorn:

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
luv 2 dive
Just Settling In

Post by luv 2 dive »

Just a thought but what about using the club dive on July 9 as a celebratio
n for Kirby???
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

luv 2 dive wrote:Just a thought but what about using the club dive on July 9 as a celebratio
n for Kirby???
Yes! I might even get him to show up! :chat:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

Well, where do I start. Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts for me and my family. To end all speculation, this is what really happened on that day. I failed to clearly set in my mind, a maximum depth for the dive. I was looking for the barge in front of Salty's and came under the effects of nitrogen narcosis and was swimming on "autopilot". I had no intention to go past 190 ft that day. When I swam back to 190ft and came back to my senses I realized to my great dismay, that I was breathing the last of the air from my dual 100's. I had 53% in 1 40cf and 100% in my other 40cf and knew that I couldnt breathe it at that depth, so I had to make a rapid ascent to 80 ft but, I did so in a controlled manner, did not suffer an expansion injury. I was able to make my switches and even made the switches on my computer but I had a hard time with bouyancy due to my empty tanks and air expansion in my suit and bc from the rapid ascent. I did not have enough weight to compensate for the empty tanks. I have never had an empty tank... always come up with at least 1000psi... when I was forced to the surface I knew that I only had minutes before DCS symptoms took over. By the grace of God the Water Taxi was there when I came up. I was able to flag them down and yell what was happening to me and swam to the back of the boat before I passed out. The next thing I remember was two weeks later and I was being wheeled out of the critical care unit headed to ICU. I am going to have a permanent vision disability due to hypoxia in the optic nerve. But otherwise I'm making a full physical recovery. Thanks again for all the prayers and support!
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Kirby wrote:Well, where do I start. Thank you all for the prayers and thoughts for me and my family. To end all speculation, this is what really happened on that day. I failed to clearly set in my mind, a maximum depth for the dive. I was looking for the barge in front of Salty's and came under the effects of nitrogen narcosis and was swimming on "autopilot". I had no intention to go past 190 ft that day. When I swam back to 190ft and came back to my senses I realized to my great dismay, that I was breathing the last of the air from my dual 100's. I had 53% in 1 40cf and 100% in my other 40cf and knew that I couldnt breathe it at that depth, so I had to make a rapid ascent to 80 ft but, I did so in a controlled manner, did not suffer an expansion injury. I was able to make my switches and even made the switches on my computer but I had a hard time with bouyancy due to my empty tanks and air expansion in my suit and bc from the rapid ascent. I did not have enough weight to compensate for the empty tanks. I have never had an empty tank... always come up with at least 1000psi... when I was forced to the surface I knew that I only had minutes before DCS symptoms took over. By the grace of God the Water Taxi was there when I came up. I was able to flag them down and yell what was happening to me and swam to the back of the boat before I passed out. The next thing I remember was two weeks later and I was being wheeled out of the critical care unit headed to ICU. I am going to have a permanent vision disability due to hypoxia in the optic nerve. But otherwise I'm making a full physical recovery. Thanks again for all the prayers and support!

Glad to see you posting again, Kirby. And very glad that you pulled through this. I have to ask, though: any thoughts about changing your sig line?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Outstanding, glad your around to see another day!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Awesome seeing you on the mend! A speedy recovery to you.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Wow. Thank you for being open and honest about your dive. And I'm thrilled at your amazing recovery. Take care.
Kelly
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sorry about your vision, Kirby ... but it is really ... REALLY ... good to see you posting here again.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Kirby,

Its good to have you back here posting again.

Steve
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Happy Birthday to Kirby!
Kirby
Aquaphile

Post by Kirby »

Thanks for all the birthday wishes, almost didn't get to have another one so I really appreciate it.

I am nearly fully healed from the replacement of the bone in my left upper arm. Physical therapy twice a week for a while. I am back to work on light duty again at the Fire Department, and hope to go back to full duty in 2 months when the arm is fully healed.

If anyone is interested my birthday boat dive is this Friday night with Bandito charters on the north wall of point defiance hosted by the All in One Dive Shop crew. Always a great site. I dove last week and all systems are go. My vision is still affected but is still improving

Eric at All in One Dive is the POC for the trip, 40$ per spot. (253) 471-9904

Thanks to all my friends who have helped me get through this difficult time.

Kirby
Hi, My name is Kirby, and I am addicted to Nitrogen Narcosis.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Wow, what a great recovery. It's certainly remarkable that you're diving again, less than a year after such a horrible accident. Glad that you're back doing what you love to do, Kirby. Be safe!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Wow I just read this whole thread from start to end. Remarkable and amazing and so happy for your recovery kirby. Bewtween this and the recent loss at cove 2 and all the reading between the two both have givin me a true respect for diving and the care we need to give it when planning dives and the importance of a dive buddy. If nothing else know that your expereince isnt just a amazing story but is giving new divers such as myself a clear picture of why we need to know our shit and practice what we know.

Happy Birthday & Have A Great B Day Dive, & Hopefully One Day We Will See Eachother At A Dive Site So I Can Shake Your Hand...
spatman wrote:Wow, what a great recovery. It's certainly remarkable that you're diving again, less than a year after such a horrible accident. Glad that you're back doing what you love to do, Kirby. Be safe!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius