Missing Diver in Tacoma (Nov 2006)

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

An instructor was not leading this dive. This was not a boat dive. People are really getting this confused with an earlier dive.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

SP-

There were 5 people who went on this dive. One of which was a Naui instructor.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Six Gill
Just Settling In

Post by Six Gill »

Amy,

We cannot condone what happened here; I also know the instructor who was on the dive and though the decision to go deep was unthinkable, my heart goes out to him in this horrible event and to Chad's family.

There are guidelines and common sense rules in scuba. If you are diving with people who chose to be reckless, the result will be devastating; regardless of their level of training or time in the water.

We will continue to teach people to be safe; hopefully that can better impact the community of divers than those who choose to be reckless. As stated, if you chose to go deep, do so with the right tech training and remember that it takes time to get to that level.

Unbelievably sad event; my prayers are with the family.
Sonya
Friendofdiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

RIP Chad Geoghegan

Post by Friendofdiver »

I can across this forum looking for articles on one of my closest friends that died Thurs night. He is the missing diver from Tacoma (Lobster Shop Wall). I know nothing about diving. Just what I've heard during this tragedy. My buddy had 150+ dives under his belt. They were there just to go deep (probably too deep). The dive master was with them aswell well, along with 2 inexperienced divers. Chad's dive buddy said that they made eye contact with each other and decided to head up because John (chads dive buddy) was "narced up?" John headed for the surface when chad spotted the newer diver Steve on all fours on the bottom. About 200-211 feet down. I believe Chad was about at 180 at the time. Chad went down and supposedly John was suffering extreme Virtigo and was basically It extreme danger of losing his life. Chad went back down to Steve and brought him up to 160 before letting go. Steve said that Chad made a "noise" and motioned to his chest and started kicking for the surface. Thats the last anyone saw of one of my best friends and an incredible human being, again. Everyone who knew him is devastated as you might imagine. Just thought I'd let you people know..
Bryan
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

My sincerest condolences to you on the loss of your friend.

Though most of us did not know him personally we do care, as human beings first, and definitely as fellow divers.

Most of the folks on this forum are committed to safe diving, to helping others dive safely, and to learning all that we can about our sport, including from the tragic mistakes of others. Please hear the banter here in that spirit, not in the vein of personal attack. We are passionate about our sport, and particularly about doing it safely.

May you find comfort in your loss.

Sincerely,

Tom Nic
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Well said Tom.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Tom, my friend, you TRULY have a way with words.....particularly in situations that require compassion. Whenever I think of someone that has truly found their calling in life, I shall think of you.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Bryan, (friend of Diver), thank you for posting here and telling us about your friend Chad. Let me second what Tom Nic wrote- he has quite eloquently stated what I would wish you to know as well. We are very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I am sorry if anything I wrote was hurtfull. We divers are quick to disect tragic losses such as this one, and try to learn the lessons we can from them. And we can be quite harsh. This has been a good lesson for me- diving is a small town, and those who die leave friends and family behind.

Let's all keep this in mind in any future posts in this thread, and avoid speculation and conjecture.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

Thank you, Bryan, for posting here and allowing us to extend sincere condolences to you for your loss and to the loss suffered by the rest of Chad's friends and family. He has been in my thoughts everyday since I first heard about the accident.

Dave
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I was going back and reading my posts on this thread, looking for anything that I said that was hurtful. I hope that nothing I said was. As a diver I am always saddened to hear about scuba deaths. It is important to learn from these things, Unfortunately some times people pay the ultimate price. No one is immune from a tragic dive accident. I have seen discussions on other boards that have gone over the line without regard for the divers family and/or friends.

Like Tom Nic said this board is about safe diving. And sharing the passion for diving. I have met a lot of folks from this site, and Ive seen a lot of newbs turn into good divers.

I couldn't even imagine what your going through right now. And I hope that I never have to experience that pain of loosing my best friend. I am truly sorry for the people that Chad has left behind.

Jason
Who run barter town?
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

My condolences as well Bryan.
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Bryan i am very sorry you have lost a best friend, I do know how you feel i lost my best friend in college due to drugs and do know it hits home real hard. I work at the dive shop chad frequented and new his truck well, I have a place for him in my heart and asure you no one here meant anything to be hurtful including myself. thank you for clearing up the story and best wishes to you and chads family.
BJ
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Bryan,

Thank you for your post. Tom has found his calling in life and truly has a way with words. The entire NWDC is well represented by his comments. Please know Tom speaks for all our related feelings. We are truly passionate about diving and are deeply troubled and saddened at the news of Chad. He, you, and his family & friends will remain in my thoughts and daily prayers.

We're glad to provide any support we can... please let us know if there is anything we can do to help. If you would like to learn more about diving and how it works, we have several highly qualified instructors and seasoned divers here (with thousands of dives) whom I'm sure would be glad to speak with you.

Again, I'm sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family and friends.

-Doug
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

To Bryan and everyone who knew Chad,

My deepest condolenses to all of you. Our dive community is so tight and when we lose one of our own, it hurts everyone. I think we are all just trying to make sense of this tragedy.

I echo what everyone else has said, and part of why we have this club is so we can talk about diving and how to have more fun, and be safer in the water. We NEED to talk about accidents and what went wrong because if discussion and education can save 1 life, it was worth it. If we can help change 1 person's bad habits or reckless behavior, it is worth it.

Let's keep talking and learning. Let's face it folks, Puget Sound is a dangerous place. Everyone, please dive safe and dive within your limitations.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Bryan,
My condolences .

Sorry you lost your friend.
I will say a Prayer for you and Chads Family during this time.
I can only imagine how much pain and sorrow has been caused by this accident. While poor or improper planning may have been the cause of this accident, The "accident" was not part of the plan.
God Bless.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Well......

At the risk of being considered what my British friends would call a "right callous bastard", I think that this discussion needs to continue.

I can only imagine the pain that Chad's family and those that knew him are feeling. My heart goes out to them.....and I very much wish that the situation was otherwise.

From the description of his actions Chad lost his life saving another diver in distress.....and I respect and honor him for that.

There are other aspects of this dive, however, that need to be addressed in such a manner that everyone here understands. Bluntly, None of the divers in that group should have ever, EVER, EVER placed themselves in the situation that they did. Had they not been where they were.....at the depth that they were.....using the incorrect equipment that they were..... breathing the gas that they were......in the horrid conditions that they were in.....this useless death would most likely have never occurred.

They were "playing chicken" with the Sound and the Sound didn't swerve.

Over the years I have heard many, many divers complain that dive shops encourage more training just to get more money out of divers and sell more gear. In some cases that might have a grain of truth to it.....but certainly NOT when it comes to deep diving. If ever a category of diving calls for specialized gases, training and equipment, deep diving is IT! Fellow members of NWDC, please.....PLEASE.....do NOT place yourself in positions such as this that are akin to risking your life for no good purpose. I wonder if any of the divers involved in this "bounce" dive had any concept of the effects of partial pressure of air beyond 200 FSW or the impact of narcosis at such a depth, especially in low visibility conditions. At that depth narcosis can literally grip you like some fanged creature and fear can creep into you like a living thing bent on your destruction. I wonder if any of them had considered how the tiny volume of gas within an AL80 would disappear in minutes at such depths, especially in a situation in which fear had set in and their breathing rate drastically increased......I think if such things had been considered the dive would never have happened and we would now be discussing pleasant subjects such as nudibranch identification and photography.

I would like each of you to have the courage....yes, COURAGE, to refuse to be involved in such ventures.....at no matter WHAT point you find yourself in the process. There is no doubt in my mind that at least some of the divers involved in this tragedy had some trepidation and hesitancy over making this dive, yet they moved foreward with it anyway and entered the water......possibly in some misguided effort to prove that each of them "had what it takes".

Smart divers do not take themselves by choice into situations for which they are not prepared, trained or equipped. The smart diver evaluates changing conditions and calls the dive when it becomes too much to safely deal with.

If anything at all can be taken from this thorough and complete tragedy it is this - if something feels wrong.....it IS wrong. If something seems foolish and frightening.....it IS foolish and frightening. If you feel that a dive is beyond what you can safey do.....DON'T do it. Have the courage to NOT dive without regret. If your dive "buddies" ridicule you for it they are merely proving that they are not the dive buddies you thought they were. If they choose to not dive with you in the future because you thumbed a dive, then it is THEIR loss, not yours.

Rant over.....please forgive my soapbox......I regret any pain that my comments may have caused to anyone......but we MUST somehow take some sort of understanding from this or Chad's death will be even more senseless than it was.

May God bless you all.....and may each of you take the needed steps to keep you safe and well.

- John
Last edited by John Rawlings on Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Well said John, as it needs to be.

Our concern for a grieving friend calls for sensitivity and care, and we gladly give it.

Our concern for the living and our fellow dive community DEMAND that we learn from a senseless tragedy.

Diving at it's safest is a risk, and risk that we all joyfully undertake. Because of our respect for life and the very real dangers of what we do we owe it to those we dive with and those who love us to dive as safely as we know how, with the best training that we can get.

I am honored to get to rub elbows with some great people on this board. They have made me a better diver, and I hope a better human being.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I don't think anyone could've said it better John
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow. Very, very, well spoke, Mr. Rawlings.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

well said my friend JR
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

John - I appreciate that you, as arguably one of the few senior members of this board that the rest of us look up to, have said what needed to be said while maintaining respect for the friends and family of the diver, and the diver himself, who passed in this unfortunate incident. Right, wrong, or indifferent, this incident just plain sucks just as the all too recent Alki incident did. You however, respectfully outline the lessons to be learned, and Erica (Mrs. Sounder) and I personally appreciate your comments while appreciating your respect for the departed.

Tom - we are so fortunate to have you as part of our group. Truly you are a blessing and valuable resource for us. We appreciate your presence and wisdom - beyond diving, but at the human level. Thank you for your contributions and guidance. We are all lucky to have you for leadership for times and in events like these.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I just wanted to comment on the way this tragedy has been handled on this site. I wanted to personally thank the folks that have commented on this topic, and not let it turn into finger pointing or more speculation.

This tragedy affects all of us in our tight community, wether we knew Chad or not. The best thing we can do is learn from this.

I just hope we dont have to have this disscusion again with one of our members here. Be safe everyone, lifes to short. Enjoy it while we are all still here..
Who run barter town?
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:
They were "playing chicken" with the Sound and the Sound didn't swerve......
Fellow members of NWDC, please.....PLEASE.....do NOT place yourself in positions such as this that are akin to risking your life for no good purpose....
I would like each of you to have the courage....yes, COURAGE, to refuse to be involved in such ventures.....at no matter WHAT point you find yourself in the process.......
Smart divers do not take themselves by choice into situations for which they are not prepared, trained or equipped. The smart diver evaluates changing conditions and calls the dive when it becomes too much to safely deal with....

Have the courage to NOT dive without regret....

- John
So very well said John, thank you.

(PM sent)

-Valerie
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

Pinkpadigal wrote:Another death at Lobstershop Wall, along with the several DCI hits people have had there lately worries me. My concern is that the city of Tacoma will step in and close the site to divers.

What makes me so angry is the instructor leading the dive. He knew better. The instructor, had been in similar situations before and HE KNEW not to take new divers to that depth. My bigger concern is that this instructor, while is a very good diver, has proven he is irresponisble, arrogant and has issues with alcohol. He now has a death on his conscience. As the senior diver in this group, he should have not taken these divers, and encouraged them not to pursue such a foolish venture.
If all that information is really true, then well spoken and your words should be highly respected.
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

John Rawlings wrote:Well......

At the risk of being considered what my British friends would call a "right callous bastard", I think that this discussion needs to continue.

I can only imagine the pain that Chad's family and those that knew him are feeling. My heart goes out to them.....and I very much wish that the situation was otherwise.

From the description of his actions Chad lost his life saving another diver in distress.....and I respect and honor him for that.

There are other aspects of this dive, however, that need to be addressed in such a manner that everyone here understands. Bluntly, None of the divers in that group should have ever, EVER, EVER placed themselves in the situation that they did. Had they not been where they were.....at the depth that they were.....using the incorrect equipment that they were..... breathing the gas that they were......in the horrid conditions that they were in.....this useless death would most likely have never occurred.

They were "playing chicken" with the Sound and the Sound didn't swerve.

Over the years I have heard many, many divers complain that dive shops encourage more training just to get more money out of divers and sell more gear. In some cases that might have a grain of truth to it.....but certainly NOT when it comes to deep diving. If ever a category of diving calls for specialized gases, training and equipment, deep diving is IT! Fellow members of NWDC, please.....PLEASE.....do NOT place yourself in positions such as this that are akin to risking your life for no good purpose. I wonder if any of the divers involved in this "bounce" dive had any concept of the effects of partial pressure of air beyond 200 FSW or the impact of narcosis at such a depth, especially in low visibility conditions. At that depth narcosis can literally grip you like some fanged creature and fear can creep into you like a living thing bent on your destruction. I wonder if any of them had considered how the tiny volume of gas within an AL80 would disappear in minutes at such depths, especially in a situation in which fear had set in and their breathing rate drastically increased......I think if such things had been considered the dive would never have happened and we would now be discussing pleasant subjects such as nudibranch identification and photography.

I would like each of you to have the courage....yes, COURAGE, to refuse to be involved in such ventures.....at no matter WHAT point you find yourself in the process. There is no doubt in my mind that at least some of the divers involved in this tragedy had some trepidation and hesitancy over making this dive, yet they moved foreward with it anyway and entered the water......possibly in some misguided effort to prove that each of them "had what it takes".

Smart divers do not take themselves by choice into situations for which they are not prepared, trained or equipped. The smart diver evaluates changing conditions and calls the dive when it becomes too much to safely deal with.

If anything at all can be taken from this thorough and complete tragedy it is this - if something feels wrong.....it IS wrong. If something seems foolish and frightening.....it IS foolish and frightening. If you feel that a dive is beyond what you can safey do.....DON'T do it. Have the courage to NOT dive without regret. If your dive "buddies" ridicule you for it they are merely proving that they are not the dive buddies you thought they were. If they choose to not dive with you in the future because you thumbed a dive, then it is THEIR loss, not yours.

Rant over.....please forgive my soapbox......I regret any pain that my comments may have caused to anyone......but we MUST somehow take some sort of understanding from this or Chad's death will be even more senseless than it was.

May God bless you all.....and may each of you take the needed steps to keep you safe and well.

- John
John- Thank you very much for taking the time to put your very wise comments on this site regarding this accident. I hope everyone reads your post and believes your words.

There are many good technical diving instructors in the local area that can train for this type of diving. Please, Please, Please, seek that training out if you want to do this sort of diving.

My thoughts are with all of you who have lost someone close to you.
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com