Gray Whale at Alki Pipeline

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Gray Whale at Alki Pipeline

Post by Magoi »

Did a dive at the Alki Pipeline Saturday, Jan. 11. Went out a little beyond the end of the pipeline and then turned around to head back. We were in about 30-40 ft of water with 15 ft visibility. Noticed some motion to my left and saw a the head of a gray approaching. It swam right in front of us - the flukes were only about 5 ft away when it passed us. I guess it wanted to check us out. Sometimes it is really an advantage to be leading. My buddy only saw the flukes swimming away. Nearly turned my dry suit into a wet suit.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Gray Whale at Alki Pipeline

Post by Sounder »

Seriously?! Wow!! That is very very cool!! I've never heard of such an encounter!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

HOLY CRAP! Really?!?
Kelly
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

They are often in Possession Sound most of the spring. There's lots of ghost shrimp up there to chow on during migration.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Magoi wrote:Did a dive at the Alki Pipeline Saturday, Jan. 11. Went out a little beyond the end of the pipeline and then turned around to head back. We were in about 30-40 ft of water with 15 ft visibility. Noticed some motion to my left and saw a the head of a gray approaching. It swam right in front of us - the flukes were only about 5 ft away when it passed us. I guess it wanted to check us out. Sometimes it is really an advantage to be leading. My buddy only saw the flukes swimming away. Nearly turned my dry suit into a wet suit.
It never happened if you don't have pics! :laugh:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

That's awesome! :smt038

-Ben

ps - you should come around here more often! 3 posts in 2 years? :bye:

pps - Ron is just jealous.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that is just too f'n cool.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

airsix wrote:That's awesome! :smt038

-Ben

ps - you should come around here more often! 3 posts in 2 years? :bye:

pps - Ron is just jealous.
Very!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wow!!!! I hope you realize how incredibly fortunate you are!! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Magoi wrote:Did a dive at the Alki Pipeline Saturday, Jan. 11. Went out a little beyond the end of the pipeline and then turned around to head back. We were in about 30-40 ft of water with 15 ft visibility. Noticed some motion to my left and saw a the head of a gray approaching. It swam right in front of us - the flukes were only about 5 ft away when it passed us. I guess it wanted to check us out. Sometimes it is really an advantage to be leading. My buddy only saw the flukes swimming away. Nearly turned my dry suit into a wet suit.
I dont know, I'm not a detective but you went on Saturday January 11th and posted about it on Monday January 11th so I think by seeing this whale you may have created a tear in the time space continuem????

All joking aside that is a GREAT find!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Norris wrote:
I dont know, I'm not a detective but you went on Saturday January 11th and posted about it on Monday January 11th so I think by seeing this whale you may have created a tear in the time space continuem????

All joking aside that is a GREAT find!
Haven't you seen Star Trek IV?? Whales and Time travel are commen place, geez I thought you had Geek cred.... :angryblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Another jealous diver.
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Geek wrote:Haven't you seen Star Trek IV?? Whales and Time travel are commen place, geez I thought you had Geek cred.... :angryblue:
Forget the whales!!!! Did you get the formula for transparent aluminum? Well did you? Speak man, speak!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
spatz84
Aquaphile

Post by spatz84 »

thats cool! I know the greys come into the HAt Island lagoon in spring and sift for shrimp in the sand. I geuss last spring a couple of divers had close encounters with them just 1 week after I was diving there. I was so bummed!
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

airsix wrote:
Geek wrote:Haven't you seen Star Trek IV?? Whales and Time travel are commen place, geez I thought you had Geek cred.... :angryblue:
Forget the whales!!!! Did you get the formula for transparent aluminum? Well did you? Speak man, speak!
I did... but I am a responsable Geek... don't want to mess up the time line... unlike SOME movies :questionmarks:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
kraigs
Just Settling In

Post by kraigs »

Dec. 31st, we were tied to the dock in Oro Bay, Anderson Island and we had a Grey Whale surface about 15' away, on the opposite side of the dock. Amazing experience....I had been talking to my wife a little earlier about getting into the water and cleaning the bottom of the boat. I think I would have ruined my drysuit had I been in the water at the time.....
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

That's crazy cool. The pipeline is so shallow that this is the last place I'd expect to see something this big. What depth were you at?
spatz84
Aquaphile

Post by spatz84 »

I wonder if the brutus whale carcuss that turned up in S. sound is the same whale or not?
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

We were in about 35 ft of water when we saw the whale. It was about 100 ft the pipeline outlet, heading toward shore.

For those (and I am sure they are few) doubters, there was a team of divers from the Seattle fire department at the site, and 2 of their divers came out of the water about 5 min. after us. They reported seeing the whale too, and it swam across right in from of them just like it did for us. I am sure it was checking out our sound and wanted to get close enough to see us.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

wow just wow, another diver that would have went from drysuit top wetsuit lol
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Amazing!
WellEquippedDiver
Just Settling In