Blakely Island

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Metal man
Aquaphile

Blakely Island

Post by Metal man »

Has anybody dove the walls around Blakely Island? My buddy and I dove Rosario wall last Sat. and on the way back we started to wonder about how diving some the walls would be. We are thinking about doing a live boat dive off the west side of this ( little) island that's right beside Blakely. :calvin:

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=48.540 ... 56&zoom=16
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Blakely Island

Post by Norris »

Ive done the east side of Blakely and Pensacolaracer knows that area pretty damn well. We dove Strawberry Island and Blakely that day. Dont know much about the west side though.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

I have dove at Blakely Island many times and do not remember any walls. Could you be talking about Blake Rock?

I'm bad, after looking at the chart I was thinking of the wrong island.
Last edited by Aquanautchuck on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

That's strawberry island. Its a decent dive, roughly a B to B+. Commonly done on the slightly more current protected inside (east side) as the 2nd dive of the day (off slack). Small to medium exchanges only.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

CaptnJack wrote:That's strawberry island. Its a decent dive, roughly a B to B+. Commonly done on the slightly more current protected inside (east side) as the 2nd dive of the day (off slack). Small to medium exchanges only.
Strawberry Is. is on the West side of Cypress Is. on Rosario Straight. I think the question was about a site in Lopez Sound just NW or Thacher Pass between Willow Is. and Blakely Is.

Perhaps a chart will clarify.

I dove both Strawberry Is. and Lawson Rock in Thacher Pass on the same day last Nov. Strawberry Is. was a lovely dive bout Lawson Rock was covered in silt. I wonder if this site would suffer from the same silt deposits?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ur right. I don't think I've ever dove Willow Island, in general I avoid the interior of the San Juans, its dang muddy. San Juan channel being the notable exception.

Thatcher pass would be awesome absent some pesky ferries & security zones.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

As Rick said, I have dove the south side of Blakley several times. On the chart Ross posted, there is a small island just north of the 19 fathom mark. Just north of that (on the big island) is an outcropping. That is the wall where I dive. Max depth is about 60 feet, no current to speak of ever, lots of urchins, and the biggest Cabezon I have ever seen.

Makes for a great second dive after Strawberry Island.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

The East side has some great walls and BIG fish.
Metal man
Aquaphile

Post by Metal man »

After seeing some charts I see that it is Willow Island we were looking at.
CaptnJack wrote:ur right. I don't think I've ever dove Willow Island, in general I avoid the interior of the San Juans, its dang muddy. San Juan channel being the notable exception.
Muddy? As in muddy botom or muddy vis? Seems as though that area should get flushed out pretty well.
Jeff Kruse wrote:The East side has some great walls and BIG fish.
Ahhhh big walls AND big fish :bday:
Gabe ~D.I.A.W.Y.C. Diver