Snow diving?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Snow diving?

Post by coachrenz »

Keep doing the snow dances.

My district is only 2 hours late as of 10:00 PM on Monday night. I am hoping for more snow and a no school day.

If so, I will get to do my first dives in the snow. Ok, so I won't actually be diving IN the snow unless I slip and fall, how embarrassing), but walking through it to get to the water.

Since I have never done this, and it is likely to be really cold, what do I need to do to keep my reg from freezing? I have heard rumors about that happening and various ways to keep it from happening, but I can't remember all that. I am too old to keep that trivial piece of information in my little brain.

I can hear Redondo calling my name. Oh let it snow let it snow let it snow. (And let my superintendent close school)

Tim
gcbryan
Submariner

Re: Snow diving?

Post by gcbryan »

coachrenz wrote:Keep doing the snow dances.

My district is only 2 hours late as of 10:00 PM on Monday night. I am hoping for more snow and a no school day.

If so, I will get to do my first dives in the snow. Ok, so I won't actually be diving IN the snow unless I slip and fall, how embarrassing), but walking through it to get to the water.

Since I have never done this, and it is likely to be really cold, what do I need to do to keep my reg from freezing? I have heard rumors about that happening and various ways to keep it from happening, but I can't remember all that. I am too old to keep that trivial piece of information in my little brain.

I can hear Redondo calling my name. Oh let it snow let it snow let it snow. (And let my superintendent close school)

Tim
You shouldn't have any problems. The water temp hasn't changed. I wouldn't use it until you are underwater however.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

My husband is a teacher and he is doing the "snow dance".

I am watching the forecast and I am planning on diving Redondo tomorrow night but if the roads are icy, I will cancel.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

Pinkpadigal wrote:My husband is a teacher and he is doing the "snow dance".

I am watching the forecast and I am planning on diving Redondo tomorrow night but if the roads are icy, I will cancel.
Keep dancing, baby! Quite a few districts are already closed.

When are you going to do Redondo? I had a planned night dive there, but Janna doesn't want to drive up from Portland in the snow. What a dedicated diver she is.

If, I mean when, my district is closed, I will be diving during the day. But, I would be up for a later dive as well... Hint, Hint, Hint.

Tim
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

gcbryan wrote:
You shouldn't have any problems. The water temp hasn't changed. I wouldn't use it until you are underwater however.

That is what I was worried about, was on the surface. I have heard not to even turn on the air until you have the reg in the water.

Come on snow.....

Tim
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

The way the roads are tonight, I wouldn't be too sure that you will be able to get down to Redondo in the morning. Right now (0200 hrs), just about any roadway involving a hill is closed, and we all know there ain't no way down to Redondo that doesn't involve a BIG hill. Everyone please drive carefully, I am spending my night in the office instead of out on the road. Too much ice, leaving the freeways for WSP to clear.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

Yeah, the windly road down the hill to Redondo is not one I would like to face on a cold evening, even in my SUV.

I am not even sure I want to go down South Hill to the dive shop, but the shop has a awesome heater, so I will just wait till about 9am and head down the hill to work.
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Dancing works

Post by coachrenz »

Yeah! All that snow dancing worked.

No school for me. Now I just have to figure out how to get to some water so I can go diving.

Maybe after lunch time the roads will clear up enough for me to get out there.

Tim
ps. Now I will be complaining in May when I have to make-up this snow day and lose a 3 day weekend.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Tim, if you do go to Redondo, plan on spending a lot of time at the 2nd boat. Georgia and I found a ton of life there yesterday including many grunt sculpins, penpoint gunnels by the dozens (many babies), a small octo, a small warbonnet, alabaster nudi, as well as the "usual" suspects. Very cool.

-Valerie
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:Tim, if you do go to Redondo, plan on spending a lot of time at the 2nd boat. Georgia and I found a ton of life there yesterday including many grunt sculpins, penpoint gunnels by the dozens (many babies), a small octo, a small warbonnet, alabaster nudi, as well as the "usual" suspects. Very cool.

-Valerie
Which second boat? The one straight out west from the pier along the new big line?

Or

The second boat that is attached to the one directly north of the observation tower that is deeper than the other one?

There is getting to be enough structure at Redondo that someone should publish an "official" map and name the stuff, so that we can all know what we are each referring to. Maybe Valerie should do that, since she likely has the most dives at Redondo. What are you at, 300+ now there?

Lowell and I saw a small mosshead warbonnet on the first boat to the west of the pilings last time we were there. He was just sitting out in the open, posing nicely for some pictures. We also noticed that it was like Gunnel City all over down there last Friday. There were gunnels everywhere. In the rocks, under the observation pipe, under the boats, in the open. It was like a Gunnel Convention.

I am going to wait a bit longer and see if the roads clear up a bit.

Thanks for the heads up.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

check this map out. Chris did a great job and this is the map I recommend to people diving Redondo.

http://www.pnwscuba.com/sitemaps/redondomap3.jpg
Amy Rhodes
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

Pinkpadigal wrote:check this map out. Chris did a great job and this is the map I recommend to people diving Redondo.

http://www.pnwscuba.com/sitemaps/redondomap3.jpg
I agree, that map is great. I have reformatted it, so it prints better, and also divided it up into two different profiles.

There are some additional new features that are not on that map and I think that at least one compass heading that is not accurate.

What I was suggesting is that someone go in and officially name the structures with "official" names, ala EUP or Cove 2, so that we can all talk about the same things.

I would love to cite the original source on my reformatted maps, can you get me in contact with the original map creator?
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

coachrenz wrote: That is what I was worried about, was on the surface. I have heard not to even turn on the air until you have the reg in the water.
I would be more concerned with the dangers of entering the water without working regs, than the possibility of a free flow above water losing me gas...

There was the fatality awhile back at edmonds where the diver turned off her gas on the surface on the way out to conserve gas, and then forgot to turn it on before dropping...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Snow day!!! :bounce: Ahem... I mean, I'm working from my home office due to the adverse driving conditions. [-X

We're considering diving Pine Lake! \:D/ Don't know if there's much to see, but it's underwater and the vis is incredible!!! I can't wait to chase the crawdads and bass around!!! I hope there's not a robot monster arm to pull me into the toilet! :toimonster:

Gee... "I hope it doesn't freeze tonight so I can't go to the office tomorrow too!" =D>

All truth be told, it's been a hectic morning... ](*,) nobody else around the country seems to care that it's a snow day for us. ](*,) Oh the emails and phone calls keep coming... I'm looking good sporting my NWDC shirt though!!! \:D/
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

coachrenz wrote:
Zen Diver 2 wrote:Tim, if you do go to Redondo, plan on spending a lot of time at the 2nd boat. Georgia and I found a ton of life there yesterday including many grunt sculpins, penpoint gunnels by the dozens (many babies), a small octo, a small warbonnet, alabaster nudi, as well as the "usual" suspects. Very cool.

-Valerie
Which second boat? The one straight out west from the pier along the new big line?

Or

The second boat that is attached to the one directly north of the observation tower that is deeper than the other one?

There is getting to be enough structure at Redondo that someone should publish an "official" map and name the stuff, so that we can all know what we are each referring to. Maybe Valerie should do that, since she likely has the most dives at Redondo. What are you at, 300+ now there?
Tim, Tim, Tim #-o

The Second Boat is, of course, the second boat south of the concrete tube. The "usual" first dive profile at Redondo is the Boat-Boat-Boat profile (south of the Highline Pier, for those who don't know this site). The "usual" second dive profile is the 2 Tied Boats-Pipe Boat-Reflectors-VW line. It's "understood" that the concrete tube is the dividing point between these two profiles.

The boats north of the pier, being newer, are naturally the Tied Boats, as the south boats were already First, Second and Third, or Deepest.

And, for the record, I've got 199 dives at Redondo. :smt038

-Valerie :salute:
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Post by coachrenz »

Zen Diver 2 wrote:
And, for the record, I've got 199 dives at Redondo. :smt038

-Valerie :salute:
So, do you want to get in dive #200 at Redondo tonight?

Seriously, I called Salty's at Redondo this afternoon and they have closed the restaurant for this afternoon and evening due to the bad road conditions.

SO, I guess diving Redondo is out.

Bummer. I guess I will just sit in my living room, get all suited up and breathe compressed air. Wonder how long a hp 119 will last at sea level.

It will look cool in my dive log book.

Tim
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

FWIW - I will be doing (logged) dive #1,600 tonight at Cove 2. It's an AOW night dive with TheLawGoddess, her boyfriend Mark, and another student (Ron).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Sheesh Bob, you did dive 1500 back in June or something. You spend more time underwater than above it . . .
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

coachrenz wrote:[Seriously, I called Salty's at Redondo this afternoon and they have closed the restaurant for this afternoon and evening due to the bad road conditions.

SO, I guess diving Redondo is out.

Bummer. I guess I will just sit in my living room, get all suited up and breathe compressed air. Wonder how long a hp 119 will last at sea level.

Tim
Poor Tim! I'm sorry it's not working out for you today! I decided to be adventurous about an hour ago and head to Target since the street in front of my house looked just wet. I was surprised to see the next street was still icy. I made it out of my neighborhood, saw the big icy hill ahead, turned around in the next neighborhood, and came back home.

There better be at least a 2 hour delay tomorrow or I'm screwed having to drive all the way to Snoqualmie Valley! :pale:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

coachrenz wrote:Bummer. I guess I will just sit in my living room, get all suited up and breathe compressed air. Wonder how long a hp 119 will last at sea level.

Tim
What?!? You mean I could have been logging those all this time?!? ](*,)
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Oh man I have alot more dive time than I thought haha. ;)
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

With a long hose, you can sit your tank outside the bathtub and blow bubbles in true "warm bath-water!" Oh the bottom time!!! #-o
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

LOL now that's funny. I could really have some fun haha.
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well, the temp in the parking lot was something like 23 degrees. The water temp on the surface was 41 degrees. My damn drysuit froze on my body before I could get it off after the dive ... but we got it done.

TLG and Mark have completed boot camp ... er, I mean ... AOW class ... =D>

They even got an up-close and personal encounter with Junior tonight ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful-to-be-warm-again Diver)
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote:Well, the temp in the parking lot was something like 23 degrees. The water temp on the surface was 41 degrees. My damn drysuit froze on my body before I could get it off after the dive ... but we got it done.

TLG and Mark have completed boot camp ... er, I mean ... AOW class ... =D>

They even got an up-close and personal encounter with Junior tonight ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful-to-be-warm-again Diver)
Congrats to you both!

Bob, that is some seriously cold surface water . . .