Ling Cod slot limits - how's that working out for ya?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Re: Ling Cod slot limits - how's that working out for ya?

Post by whatevah »

I shot 8 Lingcod this year. Between my hunting buddies and myself the total was 22. I recorded data on all of them that I plan to use for future discussion with the WDFW. I've also registered a domain name that I plan to use for an informal "association" of SCUBA and free divers who harvest seafood (recreationally) in Washington - probably just a mailing list or two for the moment. The idea will be that we can have an organized voice on issues like spearfishing of Lingcod, collecting of Spot Shrimp, Dungeness Crab, Scallops etc. I am super busy at the moment and it is only going to get worse as we head into summer and fall, but I expect to make some progress on this soon and I hope that you'll all consider adding your support.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

Diving in Port Angeles harbor this ling season I saw at least 9 dead ling cod on the bottom where I usually enter to spear fish. They were not there on scouting dives immediately before the season started. In talking with other spear fishers it seemed the general consensus was they would rather dump a dead ling that was under or oversized rather than risking a ticket. On the hook and line side of the ling fishery I saw three ling cod carcasses off the bait table on the Curley's dock out in Sekiu today that weren't there yesterday.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

straitscuba wrote: In talking with other spear fishers it seemed the general consensus was they would rather dump a dead ling that was under or oversized rather than risking a ticket.
Sounds like those spear fisherman have their head screwed on straight. Anyone who brings an over or undersized fish ashore is going to eventually get nailed with a nice ticket. To think otherwise is simply living in denial. One might get away with it a few times, but eventually, its gonna catch up to them.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

As a follow up to this discussion, I wanted to make y'all aware that the WDFW has begun working through proposals for rule changes in the 2012-2013 sport fishing seasons. You can find a document detailing the proposals being considered at their regulations page. Apparently they are not accepting any proposals from the public this time because of budget constraints - and proposals are limited to those which: address a critical conservation need; finalize "emergency" changes; or which generate revenue through significant opportunities.

Of particular relevance to this thread is a proposal to eliminate the lower limit on Lingcod length for spearfishers. This would resolve many of my complaints about the slot limit imposed on spearfishers two years ago. I can only assume that this proposal was sourced internally to the department since it does not really meet the criteria listed above. It would be a step in the right direction and I would encourage everybody to try to attend one of the public meetings they have planned to show your support for that proposal. It would appear to be an admission that the slot limit imposed two years ago was wrong - tells me they lacked a sound resource management basis for the change. We told them as much two years ago, but they blew us off and ignorantly forged ahead. The commission is supposed to represent our interests but failed.

The public meetings are being held evenings this week - wish I could attend one but I don't think I can make it happen. They will be accepting written comments so I will come up with a letter and will try to attend the commission meeting coming up Jan 6-7. We all know they blow off public comment when it suits them, but please - try to let them know what you think about these rules - maybe we can get the message through this time.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Yes, the WA fish & wildlife commission is looking at dropping the lower limit on lingcod. This is seen as a conservation measure to minimize wastage. This was discussed at the October 7-8th Commission meeting during the commission committee reports on that Saturday. The proposal is supported by members of the commission's marine fish committee, which is a pretty good indication that it will be supported by the full commission when it votes on the rules in a couple of months.

Agenda Item 11

http://wdfw.wa.gov/commission/meetings/ ... t0811.html
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I was not able to find your discussion of 4B test fishery results or the full discussion of the PSRFEF in the recordings - I think they may have been cut short when posted.

I don't agree that this proposed change addresses a "critical conservation need" - while the wastage that the spear fishing community warned the commission about two years ago (blown off at that time) is personally very troubling to me, I am not convinced that it is a significant factor in managing the resource. I hope that the lower limit does go away, but I am rather annoyed that the commission continues to meddle with my recreational opportunity without any logical justification.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

#18. Lingcod Spearfishing Season
Proposal: Removes the lower size limit for lingcod spearfishing.
Explanation: Accurately gauging the size of lingcod underwater can be difficult because of the water
magnification that occurs. The impact to lingcod by removing the lower size limit for spear fishing is 15
expected to be minimal based on current spearfishing effort. Lingcod are not currently being overfished in
Puget Sound. Recreational catch per unit effort is near the long-term average; though it does show a recent
decline --and the Department is currently monitoring the fishery as a result.
Testimony:
Comments received supporting the regulation include: I am in support of returning the previous lingcod rule
for spearfishing. Removing the slot limit from spearfishing would be an intelligent conservation measure by
reducing wastage of lingcod shot and measured after they are dead. There was also a comment from a
supporter of the rule that stated spearfishers are a very small portion of the pressure on the resource and
they’re not getting fair opportunity.
Comment received opposing the regulation include: The impact will be greater than the department
assumes as many divers will take a small lingcod prior to leaving the water if larger ones are unavailable; if
we are trying to protect the species through a slot size retention then we should do exactly that; why is the
measuring underwater issue not relevant on the upper end of the size limit?
Staff Recommendation: Adopt as proposed.
Commission Action: Adopted as proposed
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Meaning??? Does that mean they removed the lower size limit??? Sometimes it's hard to tell what they say...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

That's correct. There is no more lower limit on length for spearfishers of Lingcod.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

YAY!!!!! That is the BEST news all morning!!!!!!

(Now to revamp my slide presentation for the dive show...what a happy revision!!)
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

This will definitely get me back on the sport.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Sweet... :supz:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

Very happy to hear this! I know I saw several lingcod that had been discarded after being shot in Port Angeles Harbor over the last couple of years and that is not good for the populations. Hopefully this will be a good thing!