Redondo looks like a dumping ground

General banter about diving and why we love it.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Redondo has been made up of garbage for years. Why add to it? What is with the STUPID A$$ toys down there. Come on ! REALLY !! This really pisses me off! COME ON DIVERS!! :angry:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Redondo looks like a dumping ground

Post by John Rawlings »

100% Agreed! I avoid the northern area of Redondo just because it bothers me to see things like light fixtures and stuff littering the bottom. Structure is a very good thing, but at least TRY to make it natural structure.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

John Rawlings wrote:100% Agreed! I avoid the northern area of Redondo just because it bothers me to see things like light fixtures and stuff littering the bottom. Structure is a very good thing, but at least TRY to make it natural structure.
John,
The lights and boats have been there for years. It does not make it right. What I saw yesterday was a bunch of toys down there. One was a plastic T Rex with Buzz Lightyear tied to it. This was JUST put down there. It is tied to the big pipe at the end of the pier. What good does this do? Who ever put it down STOP! And GO REMOVE IT!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Again...agreed! I'm sure that someone out there thinks that toys and such on the bottom are "cute", but to me things like that are just trash and an eyesore.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

John Rawlings wrote:Again...agreed! I'm sure that someone out there thinks that toys and such on the bottom are "cute", but to me things like that are just trash and an eyesore.

- John
Ya it's JUNK! I am sure the plastic is good for the animals.
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

Why not just bring it up with you, then, at the end of your dive and dispose of it? I take it you left Buzz and t-rex where you found them?
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Yes I left them there. I was there to dive not collect junk. If people stop putting down there, we would not have to bring it back.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

Maybe its time we set up a Redondo Clean up. Like the one we did at Les Davis.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I thought the Buzz Lightyear was great, and there's nothing wrong with the T-rex at all. It's a little bit of entertainment that isn't doing any harm. Where do you draw the line? Are you going to remove the carousel horse from the boat? How about the sunken boats? One person's trash is another's new structure. Perhaps we should just strip Redondo of everything. That way it can look like the Edmonds Oil Dock.

Sheesh. Take a pill, people. Maybe if some folks relax a little, that stick up their a$$ will fall out.

And the Les Davis cleanup was restricted to obvious trash, so there's no comparison.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dwashbur wrote:I thought the Buzz Lightyear was great, and there's nothing wrong with the T-rex at all. It's a little bit of entertainment that isn't doing any harm. Where do you draw the line? Are you going to remove the carousel horse from the boat? How about the sunken boats? One person's trash is another's new structure. Perhaps we should just strip Redondo of everything. That way it can look like the Edmonds Oil Dock.

Sheesh. Take a pill, people. Maybe if some folks relax a little, that stick up their a$$ will fall out.

And the Les Davis cleanup was restricted to obvious trash, so there's no comparison.
Buzz and Trex are trash, not structure, as far as i'm concerned. and just because your perspective differs from mine regarding what is trash and what isn't, don't be telling me i have a stick up my ass.
Fishstiq
Amphibian

Post by Fishstiq »

Structure versus junk is a pretty old arguement. Sunken boats are natural-ish structure, VW Bugs are not. Both are generally well liked at Redondo. I don't think its so much a matter of natural structure as it is a matter of well thought out attractions. Buzz and T-rex add nothing to the site. IMO, S&M Barbie swinging from the dome doesn't add much either. Redondo needs placed structure, without it you would have a bottlefield and a moonscape. Just take a second and think before you sink your toilet and ask yourself if maybe there's something better to add if you just put in a little effort.
Not just front page famous, but above the fold famous...

Waiting for your AIDS test results is no time to be thinking positive.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

dwashbur wrote:I thought the Buzz Lightyear was great, and there's nothing wrong with the T-rex at all. It's a little bit of entertainment that isn't doing any harm. Where do you draw the line? Are you going to remove the carousel horse from the boat? How about the sunken boats? One person's trash is another's new structure. Perhaps we should just strip Redondo of everything. That way it can look like the Edmonds Oil Dock.

Gee, now I have a stick up my ass for thinking redondo looks like a garbage dump... Thanks, I feel the love... Dolls and toys made of plastic are coming out... If you don't like it, find someone with a bigger stick up their ass to tell me not too
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

spatman wrote:

Buzz and Trex are trash, not structure, as far as i'm concerned. and just because your perspective differs from mine regarding what is trash and what isn't, don't be telling me i have a stick up my ass.
I was referring to the tone. Some folks seem to be throwing a fit that far exceeds the level of the perceived infraction. As for what's trash and what isn't, here's something we saw just yesterday:
IMG_2435.JPG
Somebody not that long ago put this little dinosaur-thing on the boat down there. Now a nice big anemone calls it home. Trash or structure?

Again I ask: where do you draw the line, and what are the criteria? Who decides, and who appointed them? And why is it such a big deal? They're amusements. And some of them, as the above photo shows, become home to critters. Even the Barbie at the geodome has all kinds of vegetation growing on it, providing food etc. for other critters. It's trivial. Some self-appointed guardian wants to remove some of the stuff? Go ahead. Some other self-appointed beautifier will put something else down there. Are a few little toys, that I find quite amusing, really worth it?
Dave

--
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

Fishstiq wrote:Structure versus junk is a pretty old arguement. Sunken boats are natural-ish structure, VW Bugs are not. Both are generally well liked at Redondo. I don't think its so much a matter of natural structure as it is a matter of well thought out attractions. Buzz and T-rex add nothing to the site. IMO, S&M Barbie swinging from the dome doesn't add much either. Redondo needs placed structure, without it you would have a bottlefield and a moonscape. Just take a second and think before you sink your toilet and ask yourself if maybe there's something better to add if you just put in a little effort.

Who are we to say what's structure and what is it? The very nature of marine life is to dominate anything they can to make it their home. If anything, putting things like Buzz, the T-Rex, the Bug, and the barbies down there is the best kind of recycling one can do.

Think about it. What would have happened to that VW, the boats, and the reflector lights if they hadn't been put down there in the first place? They'd be taking up space at some gigantic, reeking, molding landfill doing absolutely no good to anybody. This way, at least, they become part of the environment, being broken down NATURALLY by the creatures living on it.

Redondo isn't an art gallery, it isn't something we should be worried about making pretty. Because the landscape itself isn't pretty at all, it's what LIVES on the landscape that's beautiful. And that's why we put things like the VW bug and the various toys down there. Sure they're not art, but they're amusing and they make the diving that much more fun. You want to see a dumping ground? I'll show you a dumping ground.

Leave Redondo alone and let whoever put the toys down there have their laughs. Diving is all about FUN. It's about appreciating the beauty of the natural marine world. And we should all just stop throwing baby fits about meaningless toys and just have fun.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

I don't know, let me see..... the lights should have been recycled... money in the material alone... the bug would have been scrapped out and melted down.. neither one would have ended up at the dump...same for the pipes, stoves, and dishwasher But hey! every site needs a toilet, right? could have been reused, not dumped, as for the toys and dolls.. how about giving them to a kid? Does this mean I can throw what ever I want into our dive sites because I know something will live in it? And I got news for you, your pic LOOKS like the bottle field....
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Chenari wrote:This way, at least, they become part of the environment, being broken down NATURALLY by the creatures living on it.
car tires and plastic dolls? please.
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

Geek wrote:I don't know, let me see..... the lights should have been recycled... money in the material alone... the bug would have been scrapped out and melted down.. neither one would have ended up at the dump...same for the pipes, stoves, and dishwasher But hey! every site needs a toilet, right? could have been reused, not dumped, as for the toys and dolls.. how about giving them to a kid? Does this mean I can throw what ever I want into our dive sites because I know something will live in it? And I got news for you, your pic LOOKS like the bottle field....

Ffs just drop it already. If the toys bother you so much, just take them out. I suppose at the same time we should take out all of the critters too. Can't have anything bright and colorful down under the Puget Sound now can we? Just grow up and get the stick out your @$$.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

I wish the state, WSA or someone would put an artificial rock reef at Redondo.

Raise the parking fees or ask divers to donate towards the cost if the area doesn't think increase diver traffic in the area isn't worth the monetary investment. --- And the rock reef would last pretty much forever.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Chenari wrote:Ffs just drop it already. If the toys bother you so much, just take them out. I suppose at the same time we should take out all of the critters too. Can't have anything bright and colorful down under the Puget Sound now can we? Just grow up and get the stick out your @$$.

that's enough, chenari. stay on topic without the insults.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

spatman wrote:
Chenari wrote:This way, at least, they become part of the environment, being broken down NATURALLY by the creatures living on it.
There's life growing on the plastic dolls already, so they don't seem too bad for the life. The tire reef at Langley is one of the premier underwater attractions up on Whidbey. Maybe they're not the best possible items or substances, but once again I have to say, the hissy fits I'm seeing here far exceed the perceived problem. When I saw Buzz for the first time yesterday I nearly laughed myself sick. That's part of the fun of Redondo for a lot of people. If you don't agree, fine, but the very subject line here is little more than a temper tantrum. Redondo is my favorite site because it delivers the critters. An awful lot of that "trash" that people put down there encourages those critters to live there. If somebody wants to play Redondo cop, force their opinion on everybody else and take something out, knock yourself out. But I can just about guarantee that somebody else will put something back there. Yesterday after our dive we met the people who put Buzz down there, and they're responsible divers. They wanted to do something a little silly to make people smile. It sure worked with us, and I know it's worked with a lot of other people. But I guess that really doesn't matter.
Dave

--
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

dwashbur wrote:
spatman wrote:
There's life growing on the plastic dolls already, so they don't seem too bad for the life. The tire reef at Langley is one of the premier underwater attractions up on Whidbey.
i'm not disputing the fun factor at all, dave. i'm all for fun. but plastics and car tires are not naturally occurring, nor are they broken down by the creatures living on it. there are better materials than plastics to provide structure for life.
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

spatman wrote:plastics and car tires are not naturally occurring, nor are they broken down by the creatures living on it. there are better materials than plastics to provide structure for life.
Does it matter that they're not naturally occurring? The critters don't care. Edmond's Oil Dock was proof of that. The dock there was supposed to be bad for them, but the critters didn't care. As Dwashbur keeps saying, all this is just someone's little temper tantrum, but all of the arguments are talking about your feelings about how Redondo should be. Does it matter that the critters are thriving there? Oh of course not, it's all about how you feel about the living environment.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

A large,plastic t rex is not an environment that anything is going to live in/on............
I think that it was put there around the same time as the last, Dive Around The Clock.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Chenari wrote:Does it matter that they're not naturally occurring? The critters don't care. Edmond's Oil Dock was proof of that. The dock there was supposed to be bad for them, but the critters didn't care. As Dwashbur keeps saying, all this is just someone's little temper tantrum, but all of the arguments are talking about your feelings about how Redondo should be. Does it matter that the critters are thriving there? Oh of course not, it's all about how you feel about the living environment.
you're the one having the temper tantrum.

so how about all the critters and insects that thrive in the ecosystem in that landfill you posted? what's really the difference?
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

Chenari wrote:

Who are we to say what's structure and what is it? The very nature of marine life is to dominate anything they can to make it their home. If anything, putting things like Buzz, the T-Rex, the Bug, and the barbies down there is the best kind of recycling one can do.

This way, at least, they become part of the environment, being broken down NATURALLY by the creatures living on it.

[/quote]
with statements like these you should be sending your resume off to BP, I am sure they need a new marketing person.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ