Whats up the Jelly invasion!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Whats up the Jelly invasion!

Post by kdupreez »

Whoa, I had an OW class and Drysuit class this weekend and there were a gazillions of egg yolk and sea nettle jellies!!

we were up at Mukilteo and 2 students got a slight sting on the lip, nothing more than an annoyance, but still tends to freak new students out when they are surrounded by a bunch of jellies on their very first OW dives..

Anyone else diving this weekend see the same thing?
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Whats up the Jelly invasion!

Post by dieseldude »

Cyclical thing. I saw this last year too. year before I was too new to pay attention but I'll bet the old timers will back me up & say it happens every year. You'll start to see'em sick & dying off pretty soon.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

The plankton blooms bring more jellies because there is more food which results in them reproducing at a faster rate thus jelly invasions. Simple answer, there are lots more reason but I don't feeling like typing that much random facts :p
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

yep its jelly season now ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Summer is jelly season. Lots of 'em in Hood Canal as well.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Is it true that Lionsmanes Jelly's (sp?), eat the Fried Egg Jelly's or moon jelly's?
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

get a lot of them off the OR coast also in the summer, it sucks lol. I find the deeper I go the less I see them.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

The acidification of our oceans.....
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Had a couple of Lions Manes join us on a dive last night.. interresting to see these guys swim AGAINST current and making better headway than i am :)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

BASSMAN wrote:Is it true that Lionsmanes Jelly's (sp?), eat the Fried Egg Jelly's or moon jelly's?
I have heard that but don't know if it's true. I do know that anemone's do though. You'll start seeing allot of that about now throughout the sound. Les Davis or Sund rock are good sites for that.