Are you fussier about viz than you used to be?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Are you fussier about viz than you used to be?

Post by ArcticDiver »

Timely subject for me. First, i had a break from diving due to circumstances out of my control. Then I did a series of dives in warm water and good vis. A couple were reef crawling shallow enough that with an AL80 a diver literally did not need any tables, computers or anything other than a spg. Just dive out the cylinder and come up. Strangely, after I got over the initial shock of being so casual about diving I enjoyed the dives. Never did persuade myself not to do a plan, even though it wasn't needed.

Then I did a series of dives on wrecks in the Keys where the vis was good but the water was cold, unusual cold snap so I wasn't prepared as I'd left my cold water stuff at home. Hanging on the line for deco was uncomfortable.

The upshot of all this is that I'm having a hard time even considering cold or limited visibility water. It seems that the highway took a detour and put me on a much smoother road. Now something inside me is reluctant to go back to the old road.

Wonder why?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

ArcticDiver wrote:Wonder why?
Wuss.

Said in the nicest possible way, of course! :luv:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Think I'm out of "anti-wuss hormone"?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

ArcticDiver wrote:Think I'm out of "anti-wuss hormone"?
LOL!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

airsix wrote:And a wonderful job you've been doing! In fact we've been discussing this and feel you are ready to progress to the next level in your training. It's called swimming. I know it's a big jump from breathing, but we're here for you. It's going to be just fine. We're going to take it nice and slow.

:hah: :binkybaby:
i dunno. i'm pretty comfortable with my current level of training. that swimming thing can really get you into trouble.
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

I am pickier about diving when I know the viz is especially bad. Once I'm there I do the dive however. The worst viz I've had has been at Redondo, Mukilteo T-dock and Sund Rock.

I'm just fussier about diving in general than I used to be. It's easier for me to take a break from diving in general. Once I'm back I'm always glad however.
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

If the tides and wind are good.... I'm in. The only time I complain is when I can barely see my gauges and I can't hardly see the bottom when I touch it. :supz:
It's a good day.... nobody died!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

You guys are a bunch of wusses. Where I come from, we dive in zero visibility, where muck bottoms are a foot deep, and the greatest depth you find is 40 feet. And there are no nudis, or anenomes, or lings. You consider yourself lucky to find a perch. Uphill. Both ways. :rawlings:
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

eliseaboo wrote:You guys are a bunch of wusses. Where I come from, we dive in zero visibility, where muck bottoms are a foot deep, and the greatest depth you find is 40 feet. And there are no nudis, or anenomes, or lings. You consider yourself lucky to find a perch. Uphill. Both ways. :rawlings:
LOL....ain't that the truth (except for Lake Michigan wreck diving, of course).
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman