overfilling steel tanks

General banter about diving and why we love it.
fishb0y
Dive-aholic

Re: overfilling steel tanks

Post by fishb0y »

I have no problem pushing my LP95s up to 3200... AL80s, I cringe when I see 3300...
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

airsix wrote:
dwashbur wrote: Uh, what's PPing? (Aside from the reason I wear Depends under my dry suit, of course.)
Partial Pressure blending, where a measured amount of pure oxygen is added to a cylinder and then topped off with air to arrive at a pre-calculated EAN mixture.
And helium. We likes our helium. :blackblink:
Purveyor of crack ;)
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

airsix wrote:
dwashbur wrote: Uh, what's PPing? (Aside from the reason I wear Depends under my dry suit, of course.)
Partial Pressure blending, where a measured amount of pure oxygen is added to a cylinder and then topped off with air to arrive at a pre-calculated EAN mixture.
And what kind of stirring stick do you use for such a mix???? (Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thanks all for answering!)
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

dwashbur wrote:
airsix wrote:
And what kind of stirring stick do you use for such a mix???? (Sorry, I couldn't resist. Thanks all for answering!)

I hope a O2 compatiable one :angelblue:
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

I prefer my O2 shaken, not stirred :)
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

This post could go on for pages and pages about the pros and cons of over filling. If you need more gas, GET a bigger tank. It is a 5 grand fine and up to 5 years in jail for over filling. And they will shut your shop down! DOT regulates this. I don't want to be in trouble with them.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

wallyc72 wrote:This post could go on for pages and pages about the pros and cons of over filling. If you need more gas, GET a bigger tank. It is a 5 grand fine and up to 5 years in jail for over filling. And they will shut your shop down! DOT regulates this. I don't want to be in trouble with them.
For cylinders being used in commerce. Not sure where you got those penalties from they aren't in the CFRs.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

CaptnJack wrote:
Jeff Kruse wrote:What the hell are you still PPing for? :smt064
No kidding, what a waste of O2 (and air) :boxer:
So whats the solution to PP'ing unless you have a booster? Damn things cost nearly as much as a compressor..and thats for a baby one!
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

I don't think there would be, besides banking pre-mixed.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

overfilling steel tanks

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Nitrox stick and continuous blending.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Yeah I wasn't sure if oxy went through a booster or not for continuous blending. Is it just pumped right into the compressor?
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Nitrox stick and continuous blending.
How does that work exactly? how does that get the last bit of O2 out of the supply bottle?
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

YES! AND you don't dump any gas from the scuab tank AND you don't need anything O2 cleaned (except the supply bottle reg).

With my rix I have done up to 40% to 3000psi. Pumping 32% - 36% gave me no heartburn. Pumping 18/45 is the highest He % I wanted to go.

CBing is so awsome!
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Jaksonbrown wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:Nitrox stick and continuous blending.
How does that work exactly? how does that get the last bit of O2 out of the supply bottle?

Ahhh... google...

http://www.envirodive.com/nitrox_stik.html

gotta love it.... Those sticks run $2300.00! Just about the same as a booster.... But on the other hand.... I can waste a crapload of O2 before I ever waste $2300 bucks worth... I think ill stick with PP'ing for now.
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

What? $10 of PVC is all it takes. Its so easy and simple. Buy the oxyhacker book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best book ever.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Jeff Kruse wrote:What? $10 of PVC is all it takes. Its so easy and simple. Buy the oxyhacker book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best book ever.

Do tell... do you have a link for the book or something?? Details man... DETAILS!!! :joshsmith: :taco:
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Is $10 worth of PVC really acurate enough for blending? Does it keep a constant mix? Or do you have to analyze at the end and add more air?
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Ordered........ :supz:
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

If you want a cheap oxy analyzer... http://oxycheq.com/index.php?main_page= ... ucts_id=12
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Jaksonbrown wrote:

Of course, we expect nothing less from you. :)
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

WASP7000 wrote:Is $10 worth of PVC really acurate enough for blending? Does it keep a constant mix? Or do you have to analyze at the end and add more air?
Yes. This is very simple. All you need the PVC to do is mix the gas. To make Nitrox(or trimix) all you do is add in the extra O2 into the air before it goes into the compressor.

Industrial O2 supply tank – O2 Reg/W flow gauge – tubing – mixer (18” of 2” PVC with ping pong balls, marbles, whatever) – O2 Analyzer - Compressor – Optional O2 Analyzer – Scuba tank :supz:

The O2 Hacker :pirate: book takes all the mystery out of this stuff. You will read it over and over.
Jaksonbrown
Amphibian

Post by Jaksonbrown »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Jaksonbrown wrote:

Of course, we expect nothing less from you. :)

Hey :threadjacked: I also found some of those HOG regs that you guys were talking about... $99.00 bucks... screaming deal.. brand new!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

WASP7000 wrote:Is $10 worth of PVC really acurate enough for blending? Does it keep a constant mix? Or do you have to analyze at the end and add more air?
"Fairly constant." The %age will go a little (1% or so) up as the pressure goes up since the compressor will have more blow by and pump a little less efficiently. This will partly depend on what your backpressure reg is set at.

I haven't made a tank of nitrox by PP (other than EAN50 for deco dives) in about 3years. Most of my trimix is made by adding helium and topping with 32% by CB.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Kruse wrote:YES! AND you don't dump any gas from the scuab tank AND you don't need anything O2 cleaned (except the supply bottle reg).

With my rix I have done up to 40% to 3000psi. Pumping 32% - 36% gave me no heartburn. Pumping 18/45 is the highest He % I wanted to go.

CBing is so awsome!
I've pumped 100% He on many an occasion, just not at high pressure. In fact if my supply bottle is a little low I'd rather pump (e.g.) 400psi of 100% He through the compressor at low pressure (<2000psi) than more modest percentages at high pressure. Just seems to work better. I do have an oil lubed compressor and it seems to run at very low temps - esp. when pumping He and compared to your Rix. I think the highest head temp I've ever seen is <250F and even that was just an isolated spot.