Danger of concrete falling off Muk Oil Dock?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
JackSchacher
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by JackSchacher »

I have a dive buddy who insists that huge slabs of concrete have fallen off the Muk oil dock and so it is dangerous to swim under the structure.

Has anybody else heard anything about this?
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Re: Danger of concrete falling off Muk Oil Dock?

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I've certainly seen quite a bit of large debris and big concrete slabs when scootering around under there. I guess if you were in the wrong place at exactly the wrong time it could be pretty dangerous. But then that kinda goes for life in general. :dontknow:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Does your buddy refuse to use crosswalks too? Probably more dangerous.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

The sky is falling, the sky is falling :eek:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Although I haven't done so since they blocked off shore access to it from the North, I've dived around and under the Mukilteo Oil Pier for literally decades and have never seen any evidence of concrete falling, or ever heard of it happening from any other person....ever.

I consider your buddy's fears completely groundless, and I'd happily dive there again tomorrow if I had a boat to get me there.

Even IF it were true, the best diving is around the pier, not directly under it.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Happens regularly. Especially during crab season.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

dsteding wrote:Happens regularly. Especially during crab season.
Thats the truth. The good places I go crabbing at routinely have concrete falling in the water all over the place. I would recommend most folks stay out of the water during crab season, especially if you plan on diving to get crab. Just wayyyy too dangerous out there. :stir:
JackSchacher
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by JackSchacher »

I was serious about this question, and I have total respect for this buddy, so please cut the crap.
I too dive for crab there every year, and I am talking about RECENT happenings there.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

:popcorn:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

JackSchacher wrote:I was serious about this question, and I have total respect for this buddy, so please cut the crap.
I too dive for crab there every year, and I am talking about RECENT happenings there.
And you received a serious answer above from John Rawlings, a half serious answer from a couple others, and typical NWDC thread hi-jack attempts (i.e. the "crap" you referenced) from everyone else.

Let's all dial down reactions here - no need for this to become a flame war.

Deep breath and back away from the keyboards, please.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
edm81363
Aquaphile

Post by edm81363 »

I think you might be confused about the dock names at Mukilteo. Which dock are you referring to? Where is it located?
-Ed in Mill Creek
OW, AOW, Boat, Deep, EANx, CPR, First Aid, O2, Rescue, HSA, DM
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

JackSchacher wrote:I have a dive buddy who insists that huge slabs of concrete have fallen off the Muk oil dock and so it is dangerous to swim under the structure.

Has anybody else heard anything about this?
If there are slabs falling off then someone's taking them out of the water after the splash cause there's no concrete pieces underneath or around the Muk Oil pier. (the old big one about 200yards to your right as you face the water from the Silver Cloud Hotel beach).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

We've lost a lot of divers there over the years. Usually, someone goes missing, and a few days later, someone notices a pair of fins sticking out from under a new chunk of concrete lying on the bottom.....I heard one guy was trapped for half an hour, but he was able to tunnel his way out from under the concrete with his dive knife-surfaced with 12 psi left....back in those days, we'd dive with an onion tied to our weightbelt, as was the fashion at the time. Quarters had a bee on them back then. "Give me four bees for a dollar!" we'd say, when we needed change. We used to call turkey "the walking bird," we did. Come thanksgiving, we'd serve walking bird with all the trimmings, like yams stuffed with gunpowder......

But I digress. To answer the question- nope. Never once heard of anything like that happening. And believe me when I say that if something like that ever happened at or near Mukilteo, it would definitely come up on this site. Some of our members pretty much live at that site.....and some of them have been diving there since the mesolithic era.......
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Jack, there are a bunch of concrete slabs under the oil dock. I've seen them and they obviously fell from somwhere above. So yes, in theory one could fall on you while you're under the dock. Having said that, I'm inclined to believe that you're more likely to be struck by lightning than by a piece of concrete under the pier.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I tend to agree with Matt. Diving is statistically more dangerous than getting hit with a concrete slab while diving.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

JackSchacher wrote:I was serious about this question, and I have total respect for this buddy, so please cut the crap.
Like Matt I've seen some chunks of stuff under the pier. I've seen that some of the pilings don't have much too them anymore. I still wouldn't worry about it much. It's not like there's a bunch of concrete falling off of it constantly. Would I choose to be under it during an earthquake? No. Would I dive under it? Sure.

That being said I agree with Rawlings, the best diving isn't under it anyway, it's to the outside (NW) Lots of bottle and other debris to poke around in looking for critters.

Lastly, Jack, know your audience. You came here asking questions. Nobody was rude to you, you got good information from people who dive that area regularly, mixed in with the typical NWDC "flavor". Lighten up.

Let's go diving.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Attachments
dock.jpg
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Joshua Smith wrote: But I digress. To answer the question- nope. Never once heard of anything like that happening. And believe me when I say that if something like that ever happened at or near Mukilteo, it would defiantly come up on this site. Some of our members pretty much live at that site.....and some of them have been diving there since the mesolithic era.......
FTFY
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:We've lost a lot of divers there over the years. Usually, someone goes missing, and a few days later, someone notices a pair of fins sticking out from under a new chunk of concrete lying on the bottom.....I heard one guy was trapped for half an hour, but he was able to tunnel his way out from under the concrete with his dive knife-surfaced with 12 psi left....back in those days, we'd dive with an onion tied to our weightbelt, as was the fashion at the time. Quarters had a bee on them back then. "Give me four bees for a dollar!" we'd say, when we needed change. We used to call turkey "the walking bird," we did. Come thanksgiving, we'd serve walking bird with all the trimmings, like yams stuffed with gunpowder......

But I digress. To answer the question- nope. Never once heard of anything like that happening. And believe me when I say that if something like that ever happened at or near Mukilteo, it would definitely come up on this site. Some of our members pretty much live at that site.....and some of them have been diving there since the mesolithic era.......
Gotta love Abe Simpson.
crowplus
Just Settling In

Post by crowplus »

Not sure about falling concrete at the Muk oil dock, but I heard a 100 ft concrete pontoon fell in at Edmonds Underwater Park...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Jack, there are a bunch of concrete slabs under the oil dock. I've seen them and they obviously fell from somwhere above. So yes, in theory one could fall on you while you're under the dock. Having said that, I'm inclined to believe that you're more likely to be struck by lightning than by a piece of concrete under the pier.
Really? You've been there more than me but I never noticed. Guess I was too busy chasing crabs.

(and not the kind that she said!)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

CaptnJack wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:Jack, there are a bunch of concrete slabs under the oil dock. I've seen them and they obviously fell from somwhere above. So yes, in theory one could fall on you while you're under the dock. Having said that, I'm inclined to believe that you're more likely to be struck by lightning than by a piece of concrete under the pier.
Really? You've been there more than me but I never noticed. Guess I was too busy chasing crabs.

Yes there are. If you look at the sattelite pic Sheahan posted you can see where there missing from the dock. Right about the same spot there's a bunch of knocked over pilings too. In an earthquake that's the last place I'd want to be but it makes a nice scooter obtstacle course for now :). The old dock is getting really rickety.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:

Yes there are. If you look at the sattelite pic Sheahan posted you can see where there missing from the dock. Right about the same spot there's a bunch of knocked over pilings too. In an earthquake that's the last place I'd want to be but it makes a nice scooter obtstacle course for now :). The old dock is getting really rickety.
Maybe they'll remove it like they did at Edmonds :boxer:
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

I lived on Crab from north of that dock back in 85-86 :burntchef: well that and free :taco: night at Shillshole. I am very disappointed we can't still park to the north of the dock.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
JackSchacher
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by JackSchacher »

Sorry if my "cut the crap" sentence ruffled feathers. It reads meaner than I meant, but it's true I was worried about the thread being "hijacked" and turned into a joke fest.

Thanks to replies and picture from Sheahan.

I posted here because, as Joshua Smith noted, if this was a known danger I figured people in this group would have heard of it.

As the picture shows, at some time there was a cave-in of sorts.
But as to when that happened, it seems an open question.

I love the spooky feel under the pier there, and I agree the risk is relatively small.

Thanks to all

-- jack--