Diver finds live grenade in Puget Sound...yikes!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
lizard0924
Submariner

Diver finds live grenade in Puget Sound...yikes!

Post by lizard0924 »

Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: Diver finds live grenade in Puget Sound...yikes!

Post by ktb »

I was going to come up with a smartass remark until they mentioned the low tide exposing it on shore. What if a kid had found this?!? Glad the authorities took it seriously and it was destroyed. UGH.
Kelly
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Doesn't the army keep track of this stuff?? Letting it ordinance or weapons off base in the first place seems like a huge no no.
Nevermind its the goverment how "with it" can they be
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

They do keep pretty close track of stuff like hand grenades- which is why you don't hear stories like this very often. Pretty freaking weird, though....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
DiverChris
Avid Diver

Post by DiverChris »

Guess you could say diving in Chambers Bay is a real blast.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

It's a good thing the diver didn't pick it up to check it out.

-Chris
"Fix the first problem fully and calmly before you even think about the second problem"
-Shadow Divers (Robert Kurson)

http://www.theperfectdive.com

SSI Advanced Open Water Instructor
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Holy Chistmas, that's crazy!
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

Heck yeah, looks like an M-67 frag, I've thrown those. Some divers have all the luck, that would make a great addition to an arsenal...

So I'm guessing someone managed to sneak one out, probably from training, to add to their collection. After owning it for a while (I assume the tape around the spoon was an added safety feature done by a nervous person), they either realized that it is really stupid to have one sitting around the house and got nervous, or they were being PCS'd (permanent change of station) by the Army, and had to get rid of it. So they got rid of it by way of so many people that get rid of evidence...throw it in the ocean! only this guy wasn't smart enough to get it deep. Probably just in a hurry.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

WASP7000 wrote:...So I'm guessing someone managed to sneak one out...
CHAD
WASP7000 wrote:...After owning it for a while (I assume the tape around the spoon was an added safety feature done by a nervous person), ...
CHAD
WASP7000 wrote:...or they were being PCS'd (permanent change of station)...and had to get rid of it. ...
hmmm....could it be.....CHAD!!?
WASP7000 wrote:...So they got rid of it by way of so many people that get rid of evidence...throw it in the ocean! ...
I've seen him throw knives in the water. It's not pretty.....
WASP7000 wrote:...only this guy wasn't smart enough to get it deep. ...
He does have a weak arm.....
WASP7000 wrote:...Probably just in a hurry.

Definately CHAD
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
DiverChris
Avid Diver

Post by DiverChris »

In reading the comments to the story, this may have been a practice grenade and not a live one. Apparently the practice grenades are blue and you can see a spot of blue under the tape near the spoon.

Blowing the tire off could have been due to the charge setup to distroy the grenade.
"Fix the first problem fully and calmly before you even think about the second problem"
-Shadow Divers (Robert Kurson)

http://www.theperfectdive.com

SSI Advanced Open Water Instructor
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Most training grenades as well as being blue have a hole in the bottom. The grenade in the photo does not have a hole in the bottom.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

selkie wrote:Most training grenades as well as being blue have a hole in the bottom. The grenade in the photo does not have a hole in the bottom.
Very true, practice grenades are live grenade fuses with a hollow grenade cavity, they just go pop. But no hole in bottom = probably a live grenade. Even the paperweights have a hole in the bottom I'm pretty sure.

I would agree to the notion that the tire being blown however many feet, was more than likely due to the countercharge that was used to destroy the grenade. They normally just set some C4 on top of them and "blow them down" instead of up.

MZ, pure awesomeness. It's possible that Chad was getting tired of using the spear and decided to try new ling aquiring tactics...
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Wasn't that uncommon when I was in the Infantry for people to get back home or to the barracks after night live fire manuever ranges and find rounds, pyro, smoke and the occassional grenade in their kit they forgot to turn in. However they usually turned them into the ammunition amnesty point on base or did a live ammo turn in at the Ammunition supply point.
Throwing live stuff into the sound is/was kind of stupid.
Kinda suprised whoever did it didn't pull the pin and do some fishing.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Depending on how long they had the thing sitting around it may not have been a good idea to pull the pin. However, it was definitely not a good idea to dispose of it in a public water way. I have done some archaeological surveys at a former government facility dock I won’t name that had 50 and 100 year old ordinance lying all over the bottom. Almost like the dock was the unofficial official disposal site.

lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

there used to be a grenade in the water up in lake crescent. i'm not sure if that one got disposed of or not, might still be there.
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

And once again...I'm looking through my Open Water training materials and this one isn't covered. Crap.

Should I include "don't touch possible live ammunition underwater" in my Open Water classes...or do you think this is more of an Advanced skill?

Scary...
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

girldiver wrote:And once again...I'm looking through my Open Water training materials and this one isn't covered. Crap.

Should I include "don't touch possible live ammunition underwater" in my Open Water classes...or do you think this is more of an Advanced skill?

Scary...
I think there is probably a PADI specialty course and c-card for this.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

PADI EOD c card

mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

Lamont,

I have seen them in Lake Crescent too,
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Don't touch any UXO (unexploded Ordinance) and remember where it was and take pictures so it can be reported, was part of every dive brief I received or gave in Okinawa. Didn't think UXO would be a local condition to be aware of here.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

mjachetta wrote:Lamont,

I have seen them in Lake Crescent too,
The one I saw was at the wall dive along the southwest(?) side. Head back towards south beach, around 25 mins and around 40 feet i think. That was 3-4 years ago...
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I think that one was picked up and found to be a training dummy. Although I still can't believe the person actually grabbed it. (No, it wasn't someone on the board.)
Kelly
WASP7000
Dive-aholic

Post by WASP7000 »

selkie wrote:PADI EOD c card
Do you know anyone in Olympia that does this course? I don't have enough useless cards in my wallet.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

ktb wrote:I think that one was picked up and found to be a training dummy. Although I still can't believe the person actually grabbed it. (No, it wasn't someone on the board.)
well, glad that it turned out to be a dummy...

i'm not going near any grenades in the water to check, though.... hydrostatic shock will pulverize your insides if it goes off...
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

ktb wrote: Although I still can't believe the person actually grabbed it. (No, it wasn't someone on the board.)
I'm the dumb guy that probably would have picked it up. It would probably be on the shelf at my house next to the other weird crap I find in the water. However, after reading this post, I will never pick up munitions underwater.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

I was diving around the causeway here a few years ago and thought I had found an old artillery shell. The cause way has tons of military scrap from WWII scattered all over the bottom and a few bunkers still intact for your exploring pleasure.

Anyway, the casing I found was about 2 1/2 feet long and made of copper or something that tarnishes green, and inside there was another smaller container that was threaded into the narrow end of the thing. I assumed the other threaded container was an intact detonator so I banged on it with a rock. Nothing happened though and it turned out to be an old fire extinguisher.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh