What do you want to see in your dive shop?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Agent 47
Aquaphile

What do you want to see in your dive shop?

Post by Agent 47 »

Hey everyone, as usual we at Evergreen Dive Service are brainstorming on ways to improve the shop. So i am here to ask the experts, what do you want to see in your dive shop. Be it equipment, continuing education courses or service department improvments. We are looking for your input to help us stay in the loop, so that we can provide the best service possible to our local dive community.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: What do you want to see in your dive shop?

Post by LCF »

What would I ideally like to see in a dive shop? (Realizing that some things might be unrealistic.)

1. What I already have: A yearly "membership" for fills, that allows me to bring partially emptied tanks in for top-offs without cringing every time I walk through the door. Nitrox fills while I wait. Trimix fills with reasonable (48 hour) notice. Shop staff with a good attitude who make me feel as though they are glad to see me.

2. A good inventory of consumables and replaceables -- o-rings, snaps, webbing, things like SPGs that go wrong from time to time. Simple stuff like good rubber bands for deco bottles.

3. If the shop carries an item where fit is important, it would be nice if it had enough sizes to allow a buyer to be sure that something works before buying it. I have to say that I almost never buy anything from a bricks and mortar shop if the shop has to order it -- I can almost always find the same item more inexpensively myself and order it, often with faster delivery. The B&M dive shop's biggest advantage is the ability to touch and feel, and if the inventory isn't there, the shop has lost that.

4. A good repair department. This is one of the hardest things to find.

5. A staff which is actually knowledgeable about the good and services being provided -- and that knows something about a variety of kinds of diving. (No "a long hose is only for technical diving" type of thing.)

I don't make much use of shop-organized trips.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

This is a generic list of what would want or not want in a dive shop (no particular shop in mind) ...

What do I want to see in a dive shop?

Let's start with a friendly greeting when I walk in the door ... whether I'm a regular or someone who's just passing through. I want to feel like my business is important to the folks who work there.

If I have a question or a problem, I want someone knowledgeable enough to help me resolve it.

If I come in looking to buy equipment, I want to be given options and told what the advantages and disadvantages of those options are.

If I buy a class I want it to be with an experienced, knowledgeable instructor. I want the opportunity to "interview" the instructor who's going to be teaching the class. And I want to know, before I sign up for the class, what the expectations, goals and all associated costs will be.

I want to be treated like a reasonably intelligent human being. In other words, don't try to make my decisions for me ... give me the information I ask for and trust me to make my own decisions.

I want to be treated like my time is important to you.

If we have a problem with a transaction, I want to conclude it feeling like you did everything you could to treat me fairly.

What I DON'T want to see in a dive shop?

Politics ... shop or otherwise. I scuba dive to have fun ... if what you want to talk about isn't fun I don't want to hear about it.

I don't want your opinion about other shops in the area ... I am smart enough to make up my own mind about that.

I don't want someone trying to sell me gear or classes I didn't ask about ... if I want your solicitation, I'll ask for it.

I don't want to hear about why you don't like the equipment I am interested in. If you have alternatives, feel free to suggest them ... but I want to hear about why you prefer the alternatives. In other words, if your advice is constructive, I'll listen. If it's negative, I won't.

I don't want to be treated like a second-class citizen because I looked or purchased elsewhere for stuff you don't carry. If you want extra points, help me find out who does. If I'm interested in buying elsewhere, I will ... with or without your help ... but helping me makes me inclined to give you future business when I'm in the market for the things you do carry.

Bottom line .. what I want from a dive shop is your trust and respect ... extra points for friendliness. If I feel that your shop is an asset, it's in my best interest to support you and make sure you're around for the long term. If I feel pressured to buy goods or services, if I feel that you're treating me like a dummy, or if I feel that you aren't taking my best interest seriously, then you won't see me again ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Agent 47 wrote:Hey everyone, as usual we at Evergreen Dive Service are brainstorming on ways to improve the shop. So i am here to ask the experts, what do you want to see in your dive shop. Be it equipment, continuing education courses or service department improvments. We are looking for your input to help us stay in the loop, so that we can provide the best service possible to our local dive community.
:taco: :occasion5:

Tacos and Beer
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Well, since I travel I use several dive shops and here is what I'd like to see in all of them:
-Answer your emails. No excuses, answer the emails. If you can't do that clearly state on your ads that you don't do business by email.
-Train staff to deal with customers plainly and politely and when they are beyond their scope of authority to promptly refer me, the customer, to someone who can help me.
-Don't be so invested in your personal dive philosophy you make customers who don't subscribe feel like outsiders. Everybody's money is good and should be respected.
-Screen and train your people so they are technically excellent and display good attitude to customers. None of this "I'm an XXXX so I know all and you are just a poor ignorant diver" Or, equally bad "Gee, we have so many products here I can't be expected to know about all of them." Training takes care of all this.
-Know other dive shops and businesses in your area and be ready,willing and happy to refer a customer to one of them if you can't help. I remember who sent me somewhere else when they had a sick employee or something else happened. I go back to that store again.
-Respect for the customer's intelligence and ability should ooze from every pore of your employees.
-Remember you are in business to serve the customer, not to finance your personal dive habit and that of your employees.
-Carry as big a selection of dive gear as you can affford, not just the brands and models you prefer. Especially so when fit is important and there are big price differences.

Notice that most of what I posted has to do with staff selection and training. It is ok to use short term transient employees whose minds are on their personal dive goals. But that must be balanced by excellent training and a corporate model focused on the customer.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

I'm a little easier to please. How about just being open during posted business hours? Stopped in a few weeks back ( can't remember exact date) Approx 3pm on a weekday afternoon. Doors were locked and lights were out.
Last edited by rjw on Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

I'm easier to please be open when you say your open dont tell me what i need have alot to pick from and try out dont just have one kind of somthing if you dont have what am looking for point me in the right place keep up with prices i hate to say it if i can find it craper online or at anther store dont get mad
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

ArcticDiver wrote:-Remember you are in business to serve the customer
Um, hate to break it to you but no, they're not.

[quote="ArcticDiver] not to finance your personal dive habit and that of your employees.
[/quote]

What the dive shop owner and their staff do with their hard earned money is none of your business.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

mattleycrue76 is right i like the store and the owner and the staff would work there if anytime just wish there was more to pick from ever time i have gone there the staff is nice fast with geating the rantle gear when needing to rante
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

doug7377 wrote:mattleycrue76 is right i like the store and the owner and the staff would work there if anytime just wish there was more to pick from ever time i have gone there the staff is nice fast with geating the rantle gear when needing to rante
Are you related to H20Doctor by any chance? Seriously, I'm not even sure what that post was about....

As far as what I like in a dive shop,

1.) Be friendly, be knowledgeable. If I ask something you don't know the answer too, "I don't know but I'll find out." is a perfect answer. Complete BS that makes no sense to convince me to buy something else is not an acceptable answer, and will cause me to leave.

2.) Be willing to get stuff. I understand dive shops can't stock EVERYTHING. Be willing to get what I want, don't try and sell me what you happen to have on hand.

3.) Good fills. I don't mean over rated pressure, I mean a full tank, that's not hot, but that's not gonna fail the next visual because it's full of rust from you sticking it in a water bath. If it's a mixed gas, within a % of what I asked for, or offer to fix it.

4.) Be open when I can actually get to your shop. That means be open every day.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Nwbrewer wrote:
doug7377 wrote:mattleycrue76 is right i like the store and the owner and the staff would work there if anytime just wish there was more to pick from ever time i have gone there the staff is nice fast with geating the rantle gear when needing to rante
Are you related to H20Doctor by any chance? Seriously, I'm not even sure what that post was about....

What ? Jake ...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I saw Burntshef the other day so this is for him ... " Have a dam O2 analyzer for Reading tanks " .. LOL
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

H20doctor wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:

What ? Jake ...

Oh come on, you know how easy to read some of your posts can be when you get rolling.... :smt064
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

H20doctor wrote:I saw Burntshef the other day so this is for him ... " Have a dam O2 analyzer for Reading tanks " .. LOL

well it does help :tomnic:
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

H20doctor wrote:I saw Burntshef the other day so this is for him ... " Have a dam O2 analyzer for Reading tanks " .. LOL
Well there doc, the trimix analyzer should be to Seattle any day so Lynnwood will have an 02 analyzer when it shows up.
Maritime Documentation Society
http://www.maritimedocumentation.org
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Are you related to H20Doctor by any chance? Seriously, I'm not even sure what that post was about.... Jake

For Jake
In this crazy mixed up world sometimes there are people that lack some grammatical skill, or English can even be a second language. Imagine how intimidating it would be to chime in on a forum group where you have something to say, yet feel as though only your mispelling, or improper puncuation usage is going to be noticed?
Perhaps I can help...I think Doug is saying that he agrees with MattleyCrue and that he does like the store, owner, and the staff. I think he may even work there if he had the time. He also wishes there was more to choose from, however; everytime he has gone there the staff has been fast with getting rental gear, should he need to rent.

Thanks for posting Doug, hang in there.

I still want beer and tacos
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Norris wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Are you related to H20Doctor by any chance? Seriously, I'm not even sure what that post was about.... Jake

For Jake
In this crazy mixed up world sometimes there are people that lack some grammatical skill, or English can even be a second language. Imagine how intimidating it would be to chime in on a forum group where you have something to say, yet feel as though only your mispelling, or improper puncuation usage is going to be noticed?
Perhaps I can help...I think Doug is saying that he agrees with MattleyCrue and that he does like the store, owner, and the staff. I think he may even work there if he had the time. He also wishes there was more to choose from, however; everytime he has gone there the staff has been fast with getting rental gear, should he need to rent.

Thanks for posting Doug, hang in there.

I still want beer and tacos
And i want burritos...lol

Norris i now declare you (unofficially) "Translator Man" you may kiss the bride :popcorn:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

I never mentioned a store .... Borgen Lol .. Jake , I know im a goober head
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

More competitive pricing. I know there's overhead but when I can order something off the internet for half the price (including shipping) then that's the way I'm going. I REALLY, REALLY rather support my local shop but not at twice the price.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Here's what I would like to see in a dive store.

1. Good selection with more then one size.

2. Honor your commitments, Do what you say you are going to do.

(RANT ON) if you say something is going to be ready on a certain day like a tank VIP or hydro then make sure it is or if it isn't then a simple phone call to let me know when it will be ready. It really irks me when I go out of my way to support a local shop and have to make multiple trips to pick something up because you can't manage your business. My time is valuable. Also make sure the tanks are full I made the mistake because I was in a hurry and did not check to make sure the tanks for full and did not find out until I got to the dive site (RANT OFF).

3. Don't by BS'ing with your buddy when I'm waiting to ask a question again my time is valuable and I have any number of places that I can buy what I want but I want to try and support my LDS.

4. Be open during posted hours not when you are not out diving.

5. Treat me like I am your best customer when I probably am not.

These issues do not pertain to any one store in particular but to many stores locally.

It seems that divers own dive stores and not business professionals and that a dive store is a way to enhance their diving not their customers. As long as the dive store employees get what they need and they can stay in business that is ok and if the customer is happy then that is a bonus.

Disclaimer: I have like most of you enough gear to out 3 divers so I don't need to visit a dive store very often just when I need a new pair of gloves or a DIN cap or something else so I know that I will not be supporting a dive store with the amount that I buy from them but one thing is certain is that if I am treated poorly I will not patronize them again and I will let all my dive buddies know how I was treated.

What is it they say you don't get a second chance to make a first impression.

Thanks for asking for how to make things better,

Mike
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Doug,

I am with Norris on this one, thanks for posting. I have dyslexia and when I am tired it can get so bad no one can translate what I write.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Um, yes, they are. Given the narrow margins that most shops get on gear, service has to be the major focus. Anybody can get and sell gear, especially in the age of the Internet. Something has to set you apart, or you don't keep the doors open.
What the dive shop owner and their staff do with their hard earned money is none of your business.
Of course. But without the customers there is no "hard earned money." Hence, you are in business to serve the customer, or you're not in business.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

dwashbur wrote:
Mattleycrue76 wrote:
Um, yes, they are. Given the narrow margins that most shops get on gear, service has to be the major focus. Anybody can get and sell gear, especially in the age of the Internet. Something has to set you apart, or you don't keep the doors open.
Of course. But without the customers there is no "hard earned money." Hence, you are in business to serve the customer, or you're not in business.
The margins aren't very narrow on most drysuits. They all seem to have "keystone" pricing from the manufacturer. That means that there is 100% mark up from dealer cost. I've also seen this pricing in acessories, such as Suunto compasses......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Norris wrote:
Agent 47 wrote:Hey everyone, as usual we at Evergreen Dive Service are brainstorming on ways to improve the shop. So i am here to ask the experts, what do you want to see in your dive shop. Be it equipment, continuing education courses or service department improvments. We are looking for your input to help us stay in the loop, so that we can provide the best service possible to our local dive community.
:taco: :occasion5:

Tacos and Beer
And super hot chicks.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

NO SHORT FILLS

Check the attitude at the door.

NO SHORT FILLS

Knowledgeble staff

NO SHORT FILLS.

+1 beer and tacos

NO SHORT FILLS

Salt Water Aquarium with some local fluara and fauna

NO SHORT FILLS
Last edited by Mongo on Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.