To the Vandal(s) at Mukilteo:

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I hope you're proud of yourself. You've destroyed something that meant a lot to many of us. To some it was a place to visit on the way back from or on the way to other spots. To some it was a place to spend an entire dive taking pictures. To many, it was a memorial to a fellow diver who tragically lost his life there. You've torn down what others labored to erect as a tribute. I don't know if you did it out of spite, or because you were trying to hunt some animal you couldn't get to, but you're a lowlife scumbag and I hope you swallow your regulator and choke on it.

I was just made aware of the fact that the Geodome at Mukilteo has been destroyed. Not grabbed by a wave, or a boat anchor but cut up. The wolfie habitat that had been made near it was destroyed as well. I got this information from the person who built it, and now has no place to lay down flowers for his buddy and no money to rebuild it. I'm beyond pissed right now :angry:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: To the Vandal(s) at Mukilteo:

Post by Norris »

This is absolutely horrible news Matt!!!

It just so happens I was taking a couple people there this Sunday as they have yet to see the GEO dome. I also was excited to show them the friendly eel.

Truly a sad day....
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
DonGeorge
Just Settling In

Post by DonGeorge »

=[ Sad!!! The dome was really awesome. Why would anyone destroy it is beyond me. Sometimes people his make me sick =[

Can I cooperate for the rebuild fund?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

that is seriously F'ed up. matt, do you have any more info about this? are the pieces still there? does anyone have a rough window as to when this happened?
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

We were down there last night for the EDS shop dive when it was discovered that the dome had been destroyed and the sight was enough to make you sick! Wreckage was scattered around haphazardly... Snipped and tossed about like so much garbage... I'm totally with you Matt however choking on his reg is far too easy a fate for the P O S@#& that did this... I think I could come up with something far more lingering and excruciating for this SOB...

I also volunteer my assistance to help with the cleanup and rebuilding effort...
Doing an assessment dive tonight to see about recovering what they can...
I've been informed that 4" schdl 40 pipe 10' pcs. and 3/8" wire or cable will probably be needed for rebuilding...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Gee wasn't someone just Bashing the site a few days ago here ? Hmmmmmm
I have also talked with 2 divers who have said the same thing, they went in with Cutters and cut everything down.. Lifted all the 20+ bricks off of the wolf eel Habbitat and tore and Cut the zip ties off the Buckets. Then left all the Garbadge there.. The cross supports On the geo dome were also slashed and destroyed.. So there goes a destoyed Habbitat and a GPO , and the Memorial that the Geo dome represents... Thanks Mr Vandal
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

I had plans for a deepwater run out there tonight. They are now on hold. I will be there with a buddy at roughly 7:30 with some rope & we will try to do some damage control. My biggest concern is new student divers getting wrapped up in the debri. We did not plan for this so we will do the best we can.
If anyone has the time & is down on a dive & willing, please bundle the debri in one place so that we are not littering the entire sound & we will regroup & figure out what to do.
Its a real shame. I have tried to find out where the real sore spots were with the dive community regarding the dome & made some friends that have been willing to try & make it better & more tolerable. This throws the whole peacefull political resolution right out the door.
If the perp is on this board & would like to discuss the concerns privately, please pm me. I have my own mixed feeling about the dome but a)its a memorial & b)it has amassed a bunch of life & c)It is enjoyed by far more divers than those that dislike it(democracy counts for something doesnt it?)
lets make it right people, we are too small a community to bicker amongst ourselves.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

What a shame. I only got to dive it once right before I left the area, but it was pretty neat and enjoyable. I would be willing to bet a paycheck that if the person(s) who destroyed it are not registered on this sight, they will certainly get wind of the outrage by someone who is on this sight.

It will be interesting to see if the guilty party has the nads to step out into the open the defend their action... I would not be willing to bet a paycheck on that.
ifixedit
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ifixedit »

I'm sincerely sorry for the loss of what is obviously a very important diving icon. Insertion, rather than swallowing, various dive equipment is my suggestion. I have not had the chance to dive the site and am really angry the chance has been taken away by some low life or group of low lifes. I offer my financial support in rebuilding or enhancing the site. Please let me know by PM how to help. Jerry
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I have heard allot of talk on this board about "if it wasn't put there by nature it doesn't belong" and other such comments so I wouldn't be at all surprised if the perp is on this board and feels he or she did nothing wrong. I would be also be amazed if they come forward and admit there caper especially with the furor that has resulted. There are allot of people out there that feel if they don't like it nobody should. I'm pretty much in the middle here. I feel if it doesn't harm anything and critters can safely make it home then fine as long as it isn't a hazard or an eyesore or just someones refuse.

However to go out and wantonly destroy something that is doing no harm and is providing habitat and recreation and then leave the remains strewn all over the bottom is grossly wrong no matter what your intent or reasoning. The remains of the pull ties alone could do allot of harm to fish and inverts.
SeaGal
Just Settling In

Post by SeaGal »

I am truly horrified and sickened by this.
The person or persons who did this is a big piece of SH**!!!!
I will gladly donate money and time to restore our Geo-Dome to her glory.
This is so sad!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I wasn't a huge fan of the geodome, mainly because of the materials used to construct it, but in the recent year or so it had become home to a lot of critters, in most places so covered in life that it was hard to tell that it was plastic. The amount of life in area seemed to have increased since the geodome was put in.

I applaud the efforts of those who spent their time and money in the last few months to enhance the safety and stability of the structure. That someone would just wade in and destroy something with so much life on it makes me a little sick.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of the geodome, mainly because of the materials used to construct it, but in the recent year or so it had become home to a lot of critters, in most places so covered in life that it was hard to tell that it was plastic. The amount of life in area seemed to have increased since the geodome was put in.
I was never really a fan either but appreciated the effort and what was able to make it home.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

we just got done with our dive down there and it looks like it was only cut in a couple key areas. A couple of the pieces will need to be replaced but we managed to work it back into shape and it is holding for now. A friend has agread to drop off a few pieces of schedule 40 pipe to replace the broken ones and i hope to use cable and crimp locks to make it stronger. it just sucks because all this meens the existing life on the broken pieces will be displaced.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Oh my goodness, I just got home and read this! The geodome was one of the first place I went to go diving. If I can help in any way, let me know!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Agent 47 wrote:we just got done with our dive down there and it looks like it was only cut in a couple key areas. A couple of the pieces will need to be replaced but we managed to work it back into shape and it is holding for now. A friend has agread to drop off a few pieces of schedule 40 pipe to replace the broken ones and i hope to use cable and crimp locks to make it stronger. it just sucks because all this meens the existing life on the broken pieces will be displaced.
Hooray! good news. Kudos for your timely efforts. :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
SeaGal
Just Settling In

Post by SeaGal »

Agent 47 wrote:we just got done with our dive down there and it looks like it was only cut in a couple key areas. A couple of the pieces will need to be replaced but we managed to work it back into shape and it is holding for now. A friend has agread to drop off a few pieces of schedule 40 pipe to replace the broken ones and i hope to use cable and crimp locks to make it stronger. it just sucks because all this meens the existing life on the broken pieces will be displaced.
Thank you!
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Good job guys!!! :notworthy: Glad the damage isn't as bad as it looked last night since we didn't have much time to do a proper assessment at the time... I'll see what I can do about materials...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I'm glad that it's not as bad as it first appeared. Like a few others I've never been a "fan" of the Geodome because I much prefer natural materials, but it is a memorial that means a great deal to a lot of folks, and it has certainly been attracting its fair share of life for the past couple of years.

Like many nowadays I don't have a lot of excess bucks lying around, but count on me for a donation when you are buying mayterials to repair the damage.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I too am an advocate of more natural materials as well but this dome was grandfathered in for me. Sandra (my instructor) took me here for my Advanced Ow dives and after hearing the story of WHY it was there, made it even more an important landmark. Aaron if you need any laborers to help I am certainly down, just name the time. This is why I called you last night by the way.

rick
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I just put out a bunch of 4" PVC drain pipe on the parking strip at a house I am working on. I'll reserve it for this project. It i in the driveway s at 5204 12th Ave. NE in Seattle if somebody wants to come and get it this weekend. Otherwise I'll ensure that it is available in the near future. I'll be offline till Sunday evening but Matt, April, Chris, Norris, and a few other folks have my phone number if you need help finding it.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:I wasn't a huge fan of the geodome, mainly because of the materials used to construct it, but in the recent year or so it had become home to a lot of critters, in most places so covered in life that it was hard to tell that it was plastic. The amount of life in area seemed to have increased since the geodome was put in.
I was never really a fan either but appreciated the effort and what was able to make it home.
I'm with Richard and Jake on this one - I was never a fan, and I'm still now. I do believe there is a valid argument for removal, however just slicing and dicing without removing it is pretty sad... now the mess is less controllable. Clearly this was not done by someone who went about it correctly (permit from DNR for garbage removal, and then actually removing it). Since it was not an actual clean-up, but more just damage for damage-sake, I'm pretty upset.

That said, if there are going to be new materials purchased to repair it, is this perhaps a good time to reevaluate the materials used and reconstruct it using more environmentally friendly materials? Maybe we can make some lemonade out of the situation.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

This is great that the overall response to this situation is forming constructive ideas. Whether people agree or disagree on said man-made items being placed underwater, it is evident that this dive site will be utilized for years to come. Now seems to be a great time to assess the situation, and if people still want artificial reefs to attempt a more natural implementation. I do understand the argument of unnatural items having no place, who wants to see another toilet; no one. But, it sounds like this monument has been "grandfathered in" as someone mentioned. Let's make the most of our local site by tidying it up in a way more divers can accept.

I don't know much myself about good materials for artificial reefs, anything come to mind for PVC alternative? Also, is PVC that bad? After all, many of our lights are made from it.

I enjoy hearing everyone's thoughts on this board. Very civilized, usually ;).
Jacob
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mancub wrote:This is great that the overall response to this situation is forming constructive ideas. Whether people agree or disagree on said man-made items being placed underwater, it is evident that this dive site will be utilized for years to come. Now seems to be a great time to assess the situation, and if people still want artificial reefs to attempt a more natural implementation. I do understand the argument of unnatural items having no place, who wants to see another toilet; no one. But, it sounds like this monument has been "grandfathered in" as someone mentioned. Let's make the most of our local site by tidying it up in a way more divers can accept.

I don't know much myself about good materials for artificial reefs, anything come to mind for PVC alternative? Also, is PVC that bad? After all, many of our lights are made from it.

I enjoy hearing everyone's thoughts on this board. Very civilized, usually ;).
Jacob
If you really want a "geodome", remake it out of non-galvanized steel tube. It'll be heavier and thus smaller would be wise. Use bolts not zip ties. Steel is much more critter friendly and as its rusts it creates more nooks and crannies not to mention it'll look like it "belongs" a lot more than sewer pipe.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

As was already stated, the damage wasnt as bad as we were told. Looks like many of the zip ties were cut & the dome rolled & folded. It is semi supported now but has a broken/folded leg. Short term plans are to eliminate the zip tie connections. Thought needs to be given to the marine life that has affixed itself to the existing pieces. That was the reasoning behind attaching the old broken pieces to the outside of the new replacement pieces hoping for a little transfer.
The steel tube idea is great but where would you get these & what would they cost. We can engineer the assembly as such if the materials can be provided. as for bolting, you need to consider the angles here. There arent pieces squarely against each other so bolting becomes an issue. I was rolling this through my head on the way home last night & the only solid repair I could come up with would be to fab connector pieces to slide pipes together at each corner which wouldnt be hard with PVC but would require some skilled welding & cutting to end up with a structure that all fits together if steel is used. I have the skills but that is a monumental undertaking. A piece by piece approach allows a person to have a life & still make improvements. Just my 2 cents worth. As I have stated for many months, this is NOT my project but I am happy to help. It is a stop on the way back from my playground & I enjoy the visit.
As for PVC, I dont know that it is harmfull & if it is I'd like to see the facts. I drink water that runs through it & I'm ok, well sort of anyway & I dont blame the PVC for my deficiencies. It is rather ugly. I would point out that as it gets made home to critters, it isnt seen any more. Only the geometric shape remains. The zip ties have always been an eyesore & are slated for removal.
If PVC is used short term or long, it needs to be Schedule 40 or stronger to eliminate future buckling issues. The original pieces were not spec'd to handle the load & current. That is why we have seen issues.
I making some assumptions here, but I think material dontations could probably be dropped off at Evergreen Dive services & they could call me or several other people for that matter to pick the material up & temporarily store until a suitable time for repair is established.
p.s. for all the rough & tumble it took, It didnt scare off Junior. I took several pic's of him last night looking no worse for the wear.
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"