Parking Lot Save-a-Dive Kindness

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Parking Lot Save-a-Dive Kindness

Post by Tangfish »

You've all been there. You're getting ready for a dive and, d'oh! :eek: you forgot something important. Well, I've forgotten some pretty silly things before. Weights, booties, fins, a DIN valve (okay, just kidding on the last one). But, today I went to go do a dive at Muk with Scubagrunt and partway into getting ready realized that I'd forgotten my drygloves! :angry:

No sooner than I exclaimed "Houston, we have a problem" than a friendly diver in the parking lot replies "I have an extra pair of Diving Concepts drygloves that you can borrow". Dayaaaammmnn! Talk about a dive-saver! Who the heck happens to have extra drygloves laying around, AND they happened to fit my ring system?!!! :supz:

Anyway, I believe his name was Steve (or was it Scott?), an instructor from Lighthouse in Seattle. I just wanted to give him a big THANK YOU for saving our dive today. :notworthy: He later said that he doesn't visit the forum much. So, if anyone here knows him please let him know how grateful I am. :partyman:

If you have a story about a nice fellow diver saving your dive in a dive site parking lot, please share it here. :partydance:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Parking Lot Save-a-Dive Kindness

Post by cardiver »

Tangfish wrote:You've all been there. You're getting ready for a dive and, d'oh! :eek: you forgot something important. Well, I've forgotten some pretty silly things before. Weights, booties, fins, a DIN valve (okay, just kidding on the last one). But, today I went to go do a dive at Muk with Scubagrunt and partway into getting ready realized that I'd forgotten my drygloves! :angry:

No sooner than I exclaimed "Houston, we have a problem" than a friendly diver in the parking lot replies "I have an extra pair of Diving Concepts drygloves that you can borrow". Dayaaaammmnn! Talk about a dive-saver! Who the heck happens to have extra drygloves laying around, AND they happened to fit my ring system?!!! :supz:

Anyway, I believe his name was Steve (or was it Scott?), an instructor from Lighthouse in Seattle. He later said that he doesn't visit the forum much but I just wanted to give him a big THANK YOU for saving our dive today. :notworthy:

If you have a story about a nice fellow diver saving your dive in a dive site parking lot, please share it here. :partydance:
Damn, Calvin. Last week it was your weights and this week it's your dry gloves....

I'm just sayin'.......... :rawlings:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Give me a break. I haven't gotten wet in 4 months. At least the weights were in the car. oh wait.... that might be even worse. :dontknow:
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Tangfish wrote:Give me a break. I haven't gotten wet in 4 months. At least the weights were in the car. oh wait.... that might be even worse. :dontknow:
I totally forgot that you were recovering from surgery.
You were walking really well at Cove 2 last week. It's good to see you back in the water.
If you're up for Sunrise tomorrow.......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Baby steps, not giant slippery hills for me at this point. Yes, still recovering, but thank gosh I can dive now. I was going crazy for awhile there. Now I just have to be really careful about where I step. Thanks for the invite but I don't think I'm ready for Sunrise yet - unless you have a boat! :)
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tangfish wrote: No sooner than I exclaimed "Houston, we have a problem" than a friendly diver in the parking lot replies "I have an extra pair of Diving Concepts drygloves that you can borrow". Dayaaaammmnn! Talk about a dive-saver! Who the heck happens to have extra drygloves laying around, AND they happened to fit my ring system?!!! :supz:

Anyway, I believe his name was Steve (or was it Scott?), an instructor from Lighthouse in Seattle.
Instructors often do ... after all, if we punch a hole in a glove during class, the show must go on.

I usually have an extra pair of dry gloves in my dry bag for just that reason.
Tangfish wrote: If you have a story about a nice fellow diver saving your dive in a dive site parking lot, please share it here. :partydance:
Saturday afternoon ... I was pulling double-duty, doing one class at Redondo in the AM and another at Cove 2 in the PM. Showed up for my PM class only to realize that in the process of unloading gear for one class and loading gear for another I'd forgotten to bring the BCD I was letting my student use for the class. Kelly (ktb) was there, doing a dive with Georgia (wylerbear), and when I mentioned to her that I needed to head back home to get the rig she nicely offered to leave me her BP/W and weightbelt for my student.

Turns out it wasn't needed because my student showed up with shortly afterward with some gear she'd borrowed from a friend that she wanted to try out ... but it was a generous offer that could potentially have saved my class from some serious interruption. Thanks Kelly.

I've found over the years that most divers are happy lend a helping hand ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

i haven't yet been the recipient of a save-a-dive item, but i have helped out in a couple cases. the thought of driving all the way up from portland to realize i forgot something led me to put together a kit full of goodies.

i've lent out tank valve din plugs, din to yoke adapters, a drysuit hood, wetgloves, and even a second stage. probably a couple other small things i'm forgetting...

it's a good feeling to be able to help out. i hope that when i need something, someone else is there with a spare.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've borrowed or lent any number of things, but I think the incident that made the greatest impression on me happened at Edmonds, the first year I was diving. I had agreed to meet a friend for a dive, and she showed up without her gloves. It was probably an hour's drive back to her house to get them at that time of day, and as we were agonizing about what we could do, the man packing the pickup truck next to us said, "You can borrow these," and offered his own.

Not a big deal, normally, but this man was from Montana, and was done diving for that trip, and was headed home. He said, "You can mail them back to me." I was stunned at the generosity of someone who would offer an item, which is not cheap (because nothing in diving is cheap) to a pair of women he had never met before in his life, and expect to get them back.

Turns out, we went and rented some at the Underwater Sports shop. But that man's generosity was my introduction to how amazingly NICE the world of divers is.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I had two dives in a row saved by buddies who happened to have the right 02 sensors in their kits just recently. Thanks, John and Calvin!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Joshua Smith wrote:I had two dives in a row saved by buddies who happened to have the right 02 sensors in their kits just recently. Thanks, John and Calvin!
My pleasure! I know, without question, that you would do the same for me!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

My first NWDC club dive a couple of years ago, I got my gear assembled and realized my HP hose had blown. I had quite a few somewhat off-the-wall items in my SADK, but that wasn't one of them. Valerie was nearby and heard my dilemma, and immediately brought me one from her kit. It was the first time we had met, and I was amazed that she was willing to loan a fairly expensive piece of equipment to what amounted to a total stranger.

Since then I've been able to pass the favor on a couple of times with different pieces of gear, and when I get the chance I'm delighted to do so. Divers helping each other is a big part of what it's all about, IMAO (In My Arrogant Opinion)
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

I had a really nice guy lend me a drysuit inflator hose at Cove 2 last winter. I had just switched from my Diving Concepts drysuit to my DUI and didn't realize that the DC suit had a proprietary connector. So, after I was all geared up and trying to connect my DC hose to my DUI suit, I realized that I had a tiny, little problem.

I didn't know the guy and have never seen him since (he was diving Cove 2 that day with his teenage son and I recall the guy drove a white SUV...Lexus or Infiti or something along those lines), but he was nice enough to lend me a hose for my dive and he waited around for me to finish so we could give it back. That was extremely kind of him. One of my favorite parts of the sport is how friendly and giving divers are.
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Best one I've seen was on a charter diving with Joe. He pulled his neck seal over his head and it tore. Even before the cursing could begin multiple people offered to lend him their spare suit. Saved his dive and mine.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Our own Josh Smith saved by butt by loaning me a 2nd stage when my octo wouldn't stop freeflowing!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

scottsax wrote:Our own Josh Smith saved by butt by loaning me a 2nd stage when my octo wouldn't stop freeflowing!
I was thinking I hadn't been on the recieving-end of a save-a-dive, but you just reminded me that Josh saved my butt by loaning me a soft weight when I was too light on our 10ft stop. :highfive: Not only does he drive the giant green save-a-dive kit, he apparently carries one underwater too. (If anyone thinks I'm bad now you should have seen me back in those days.)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Grateful Diver wrote: Saturday afternoon ... I was pulling double-duty, doing one class at Redondo in the AM and another at Cove 2 in the PM. Showed up for my PM class only to realize that in the process of unloading gear for one class and loading gear for another I'd forgotten to bring the BCD I was letting my student use for the class. Kelly (ktb) was there, doing a dive with Georgia (wylerbear), and when I mentioned to her that I needed to head back home to get the rig she nicely offered to leave me her BP/W and weightbelt for my student.

Turns out it wasn't needed because my student showed up with shortly afterward with some gear she'd borrowed from a friend that she wanted to try out ... but it was a generous offer that could potentially have saved my class from some serious interruption. Thanks Kelly.

I've found over the years that most divers are happy lend a helping hand ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Happy to help Bob (even if it wasn't needed). I love the generosity of the dive community, and I consider it a "pay it forward" kind of thing. Like this Spring, when I was in the middle of Hood Canal on a Pac Adventures Charter when I realized I had left my hood and gloves on the dock. Doh! Thankfully, Don has an extra one of pretty much everything on the boat. Whew! And I've lost count of the times folks have loaned me gear just to try it out. :joshsmith:
Kelly
Berritt
Aquaphile

Post by Berritt »

Divers are some of the most generous people I have ever met. A complete stranger lent my fins when one was lost at Sund rock.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

My whole truck is one big save a dive kit. I'm pretty sure I could outfit another diver complete or near complete but there have been times that I forgot something that wasn't redundant. Thanks to this post and thinking whats in my truck I realize there are a couple of items I would need to do a complete second outfit. Hmmm Time to add a little more weight to the rig!

And yes you can borrow what you need if I'm around when your in need.

Divers are good folks. :supz: