Winter Diving

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LittleGoat
Frequent Bubbler

Winter Diving

Post by LittleGoat »

Being new to the whole diving sport, I was wondering if it was worth diving here in the Pacific Northwest or should I save my vacation and money for a nice, warm spot to dive in the winter? What does everyone else do during the long gray?
I am not a capricorn... I am a Seagoat.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Winter Diving

Post by Grateful Diver »

I love winter diving. There are some critters that you will only see during the cooler months. And visibility is generally better than in summer. And it's way easier finding a decent parking spot.

It depends on how well prepared you are for it. The water's colder, it gets dark earlier, and you'll have to be prepared to gear up in raining (or worse) conditions at times. But for those who have a flair for a hardy environment, winter diving's a lot of fun.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

For me, winter diving means a lot more shore diving - often in places that are less than compelling. Visibility can be better, but odds of being off work on a day when the weather and the tides align for safe boating/diving conditions are much lower.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

The year I learned to dive, my plan was to try to get out once a week, until the weather turned.

Then, when the weather turned, I found out several things: The visibility is better in the late fall and winter (except when big storms have created a bunch of runoff). You don't overheat, getting ready to get to the water. Parking is available. And if you dive in a dry suit and drive to the site in your undergarments and get dressed right away, drizzle really doesn't imapct you much at all!

I do take greater care in the winter to make sure I don't lose ANY "thermal units" before I get in the water -- that includes having a great big boat parka (TruWest makes wonderful ones) and a furry hat. I take hot water to the site with me to warm my hood between dives, or to pour over my head after a dive. If I'm not where there are shops or cafes, I'll have a thermos of something hot for after the dive.

It's well worth diving here in the winter, although the sites look quite different. I didnt know there were seasons in the water, too, but the algae die off so you don't have all the pretty sea lettuces in red and green and purple. The flip side is that it's easier to see the critters!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Grateful Diver wrote: The water's colder... Bob (Grateful Diver)
IT GETS COLDER?!? :eek:

WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED!!!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Blaiz wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote: The water's colder... Bob (Grateful Diver)
IT GETS COLDER?!? :eek:

WHY WASN'T I NOTIFIED!!!
Consider this your two month warning. Coldest temp I've logged in marine waters was at Langley. But oooh, those heated floors in the bathrooms there are a life-saver.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
MisterScuba
Just Settling In

Post by MisterScuba »

Cold is good for the blood... Really it is!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Winter is the best time to dive--no question. And I thought that was crazy at first . . . Until I got heat exhaustion trying to dive this summer in my drysuit. So for that and the better viz, it's winter ftw!
Kelly
lizard0924
Submariner

Post by lizard0924 »

I prefer diving here in the winter months, actually. Go for it, you won't be sorry!
Liz

www.lizsundquist.com

Holy cow! I'm the Godzilla of the underworld, apparently. ~ JenBowes
I'm going to tie my spool off on your manifold and ride you like a manatee! ~ Scottsax
Lundy will forever be known as The Guy Touching Richard's Thong. ~ Spatman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Fall and Winter are WHERE IT'S AT when it comes to diving around here!

Better vis, better parking, no mobs, no baking in the drysuit....oh, yeah! :taco:

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I like winter diving. Seems like I always see more critters in the winter, but maybe that's just because most of my winter dives become night dives since it's dark by 4:00.

I did 2 winters in a wetsuit. I don't recommend it. I finally buckled and got a drysuit after a dive with Pez where he somehow managed to drop his fins and didn't realize it until after we got back to the trucks. By the time we went back and got his fins my gear was frozen to the tailgate and ice was forming on my wetsuit. Not fun.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Winter diving is the best! I hate boiling in my drysuit before I get in the water. And winter viz is usually much better.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Shewt dont worry about cold folks. Our water, at depth, only changes about 3-5 degrees seasonally. Its those dang surface intervals that getcha. Personally I look forward to winter as the visibility really starts clearing up.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

+1 for me. I love winter diving. When that awful red and brown seaweed go away and the brown moss dissipates the critters come out to play and the viz gets really good. There is allot more to see and photograph and actually the life cycle of many of the critters means they hatched in spring and summer and mature in the winter. Especially the nudibranchs.

The water actually becomes warmer than the air! :joshsmith: Which is a plus IF your wearing a drysuit. But it's a bummer if your diving wet.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Other than for training or just needing to get in the water I didn't think there was much point to summer diving here.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
seaphilia
Avid Diver

Post by seaphilia »

Fall and winter is diving season here. Better vis, you actually get to do night dives, and you can park. You will need a backup plan when the wind starts blowing.

Get some thermal foot warmers and put them in your shoes for before, between, and after dives. Wouldn't recommend putting them in your booties, heard a few horror stories.
LittleGoat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LittleGoat »

I guess there in lies the problem: I don't dive dry. I have a wetsuit (semi-dry, but if you get wet, it's still a wetsuit) and I would like to dive dry, but I can't afford one at the moment. Used isn't really an option for me because I am 6'3" and 180 lbs.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

LittleGoat wrote: Used isn't really an option for me because I am 6'3" and 180 lbs.
... sounds more like a BigGoat to me ... :smt064

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

LittleGoat wrote:I guess there in lies the problem: I don't dive dry. I have a wetsuit (semi-dry, but if you get wet, it's still a wetsuit) and I would like to dive dry, but I can't afford one at the moment. Used isn't really an option for me because I am 6'3" and 180 lbs.
You can dive wet in winter. Just be aware of what your body is telling you and don't overdo it. Your dives might be shorter and/or shallower because of the lower water temperatures. Down in the south sound the water temperatures are generally a little higher, but closer to the straits you will see mid-forties in the winter and that difference of four to five degrees from summer makes a huge difference. LCF has given good advice for staying warm before the dive - after the dive you will really lose heat fast - if you're somewhere exposed you might want to limit yourself to one dive per outing. If you do have some protection from the wind, and preferably somewhere to warm up during the interval, you might be up for a second dive. I find stripping my hood and gloves and putting them in warm water ready for the next dive, throwing a shell over the top and bottom of the suit to keep the wind off, and putting on a warm hat and wool gloves then sitting quietly and sipping at some hot cider, tea, or hot chocolate goes a long way towards making it to the second dive.
LittleGoat
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LittleGoat »

whatevah wrote:
LittleGoat wrote:I guess there in lies the problem: I don't dive dry. I have a wetsuit (semi-dry, but if you get wet, it's still a wetsuit) and I would like to dive dry, but I can't afford one at the moment. Used isn't really an option for me because I am 6'3" and 180 lbs.
You can dive wet in winter. Just be aware of what your body is telling you and don't overdo it. Your dives might be shorter and/or shallower because of the lower water temperatures. Down in the south sound the water temperatures are generally a little higher, but closer to the straits you will see mid-forties in the winter and that difference of four to five degrees from summer makes a huge difference. LCF has given good advice for staying warm before the dive - after the dive you will really lose heat fast - if you're somewhere exposed you might want to limit yourself to one dive per outing. If you do have some protection from the wind, and preferably somewhere to warm up during the interval, you might be up for a second dive. I find stripping my hood and gloves and putting them in warm water ready for the next dive, throwing a shell over the top and bottom of the suit to keep the wind off, and putting on a warm hat and wool gloves then sitting quietly and sipping at some hot cider, tea, or hot chocolate goes a long way towards making it to the second dive.
I never though about keeping the wetsuit during the surface interval... is that what you are suggesting there?
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Indeed, keep the wetsuit on and cover it up. A huge jacket or something that helps keep the wind from cooling it down. As long as you cover the wetsuit during SI you should not lose much heat. Hood and gloves in some hotwater, and even pour some down the suit before the second dive. Whatevahs suggestion for hot soup, gloves and hat...you are SET!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

As long as we are on the subject... what the hell am I doing wrong? I do an hour or so dive, with wool sweater, long sleeved shirt, long john pants and a white's jumper, and I end up coming out of the water shivering so hard I can barely speak, and the deep, full-body shudders continue for an hour! I mean, I'm generally freezing if the temperature is below 80, but still..!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
MisterScuba
Just Settling In

Post by MisterScuba »

All I can say is, if you think WA winter diving is cold, try it in ID.
seaphilia
Avid Diver

Post by seaphilia »

Blaiz wrote:As long as we are on the subject... what the hell am I doing wrong? I do an hour or so dive, with wool sweater, long sleeved shirt, long john pants and a white's jumper, and I end up coming out of the water shivering so hard I can barely speak, and the deep, full-body shudders continue for an hour! I mean, I'm generally freezing if the temperature is below 80, but still..!
Blaiz, I have the same problem. I wear a full 5mm with a 7mm hood in 79 degree water in the tropics. Took me several years to be warm up here. You have to be warm when you get in the water. Heat packets in your street shoes and in the pockets of your stadium coat. If you are not using nitrox, a heat packet on top of your layers and underneath the chest inflator, warms the incoming air or use argon (this is probably an entire thread). Also if your undergarments are too dense and there is no room for air to be trapped you will be colder (I use a weezel, lots of trapped air, more weight). Went from two pairs of socks to one really good pair of REI mountaineering socks that left room for my toes to wiggle, what a difference. And I get out of my dry suit between dives. Good luck. Shoot me an email if you have more questions.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Blaiz,

My feet used to take an hour to thaw (not kidding) after 2 dives and that made my whole body cold. My Weezel booties made all the difference. I have 2 pair, so let me know if you want to try them.
Kelly