The hunt for altitude

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

The hunt for altitude

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I love to lake dive. It gets the gear really clean and the visibility is amazing. I know a lot of lakes are void of life in comparison to the Sound, but it is still fun. I was up at Lk Crescent a few weeks ago and it was awesome.

I only know of one 1 lake close by that have easy access into that is higher than 1000 feet. I am looking to get more experience diving at altitude. Any one has suggestions on where to get some altitude dives? Chelan is too far; I am thinking within an hour or so drive of Tacoma. It has to be 1000 feet or higher, easy access from the car to the shore and also, get some depth. I was curious about Alder Lake, but I am told it takes a long time to get deep and vis isn't that great.

Anyone have suggestions besides Mowich lake?
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Seaslave
Compulsive Diver

Re: The hunt for altitude

Post by Seaslave »

Baker Lake comes to mind. A little more of a drive than an hour, but not too bad. All the alpine lakes that I am familiar with will require a bit of a hike. Most do not allow for any kinf of atv access.

-Mathue
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

Baker Lake isn't 1000' above sea level though. Diablo would do it - and it has easy access from Hwy 20. Long drive from Tacoma, but worth it for the views alone.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Lake Keechelus along I-90. You could get in at the boat launch and head east from there it gets deep pretty quick, keep meaning to give this one a go myself, but haven't made it happen.

What is it about altitude diving that you need the altitude to practice? It seems like shallower stops, shorten your NDL's a little and it's pretty much like diving anywhere else. What am I missing?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Lake Washington, we can pretend the snowcapped peaks are "right there" :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Also over the 1 hour drive, but coldwater lake is 2493 ft. There is a boatramp at one end of the lake. I've been kind of curious to see whats down there.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

CaptnJack wrote:Lake Washington, we can pretend the snowcapped peaks are "right there" :)
This was my thought. Unless you're diving to "make sure I don't get bent at altitude," there is nothing that requires "practice" in that environment. It's a math-adjustment. The water feels exactly the same at altitude and your computer or gauge will likely read almost exactly the same at-depth with your depth reading. The issue with altitude diving is at the surface... not the water. Ideally, if you're doing your deco correctly, there should be minimal adjustment required for altitude diving.

What do you need to practice at altitude that you can't practice in Lake Washington... or Puget Sound?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Perhaps she wants to get enough dives to apply to teach the Altitude Specialty?
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

WylerBear wrote:Perhaps she wants to get enough dives to apply to teach the Altitude Specialty?
I don't do "altitude" dives, but perhaps the altitude speciality should be taught by people regularly diving at altitude? Ditto for the "wreck" specialty, "deep", photography, etc.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

WylerBear wrote:Perhaps she wants to get enough dives to apply to teach the Altitude Specialty?
Georgia, I think some of us are trying to figure out what's involved that needs so much practice. As a practical matter, other than adjusting your stop depth and NDL's, it's just water.

I understand if to teach the PADI altitude specialty you need to have a certain number of altitude dives, bureaucracies want what they want, but as a practical matter I don't really get it.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Just curious - how many dives does it take?
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Nwbrewer wrote:
Georgia, I think some of us are trying to figure out what's involved that needs so much practice. As a practical matter, other than adjusting your stop depth and NDL's, it's just water.

I understand if to teach the PADI altitude specialty you need to have a certain number of altitude dives, bureaucracies want what they want, but as a practical matter I don't really get it.

I guess I don't understand what there is figure out. She just wants to go altitude diving so tell her where to go. Now go jump in a lake...... ha ha I made a funny......
:partydance:

On another note and sort of off topic: If you ever get the oppertunity to dive Lake Tahoe, I would recommend it. A boat will make things a lot more accessible and prepare for some deep dives if you can.

Emerald Bay is just an all around good dive - shallow and lots of life, especially by the lumber barges. And Rubicon Point is just awesome. It's pretty much a vertical cliff that drops to below 1,000'. I saw a huge lake trout there about 20 years ago(looked it up in my log bbok and it was July 1988) and still remember the colors at depth on that fish. The lake is amazingly clear.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Sounder wrote:
Just curious - how many dives does it take?
Most Specialties require that you have 20 dives in that specialty before applying to teach it.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I have about 20-25 logged. I need 20 to direct apply to PADI to teach, but I will go through our CD to get certified when I am ready. Honestly, I would just like to get more dives in, get to know WHERE to altitude dive locally, get more knowledge and experience. People ask about altitude diving all the time. I would like to give them first hand knowledge.

I know there isn't anything really to "practice" about altitude diving, but it is fun to experience and it is something different.

I have done some diving in Idaho and Utah already. Tahoe is on the list but I am not going there any time soon.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Pinkpadigal wrote:I have about 20-25 logged. I need 20 to direct apply to PADI to teach, but I will go through our CD to get certified when I am ready. Honestly, I would just like to get more dives in, get to know WHERE to altitude dive locally, get more knowledge and experience. People ask about altitude diving all the time. I would like to give them first hand knowledge.

I know there isn't anything really to "practice" about altitude diving, but it is fun to experience and it is something different.

I have done some diving in Idaho and Utah already. Tahoe is on the list but I am not going there any time soon.
Good for you. I'm fascinated that this is such a hot topic in WA since out "altitude" sites are (obviously) so few.
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

Nwbrewer wrote:Lake Keechelus along I-90. You could get in at the boat launch and head east from there it gets deep pretty quick, keep meaning to give this one a go myself, but haven't made it happen.
Lost Lakehttp://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 11494&z=14 is another one to consider in that area.
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

I have pondered the idea of diving Mowich Lake. Its a 17 mile drive on a unpaved road and then a 200ft hike to the lake from the road. I would take a wheelbarrow and a sammich.
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

This is probably too far, but Twin Lakes at 5200 ft near Mt Baker fits all your other criteria. Take Forest Service Road 3065 off the Mount Baker highway. The last stretch of road is steep switch backs and is only marginally maintained so you need a 4WD. I don't know about the depth of the lakes. It is an active mining area (or was). There is even a small tunnel right at lake level on the higher lake, there might be some mining related artifacts in the lakes.
Attachments
twin lakes.jpg
Dive Monkey
Aquaphile

Post by Dive Monkey »

4ster wrote:This is probably too far, but Twin Lakes at 5200 ft near Mt Baker fits all your other criteria. Take Forest Service Road 3065 off the Mount Baker highway. The last stretch of road is steep switch backs and is only marginally maintained so you need a 4WD. I don't know about the depth of the lakes. It is an active mining area (or was). There is even a small tunnel right at lake level on the higher lake, there might be some mining related artifacts in the lakes.

Possible mining artifacts! Im gone!