I thumbed a dive.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

I thumbed a dive.

Post by Linedog »

While in Maui a few weeks ago, my wife, 17 year old son and I went to 5 graves to do our last dive of the trip. We had gone there the previous day at about 2 PM and the water was fine. We arrived at 9 the next morning and the water was a bit crappy, plus it was getting worse. Now our 17 year old has no fear and was ready to dive I probably could have pulled it off however my wife said it was really border line for her. I called it as I don't think once in the water I could have been a good enough buddy for her plus keep a leash on our son. Last dive of the trip, disappointed our son and I feel like a heel. I know it was the right thing as I only have about 25 dives our son has 2 and my wife has about 20. Sorry just venting I feel better now. :taco:
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: I thumbed a dive.

Post by Tom Nic »

Any time. Any reason. No repercussions.

Never forget it.

And good job on the call.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Wise move. If any member of the group isn't comfortable, that's the best thing to do. Any diver, any time, any reason or no definable reason. There's always another day and another place to dive. Thumbing a dive is pretty much never the wrong decision. I dive with my wife and daughter, and I'd have done the same thing.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

You showed good judgement -and- you were a good example for your son. =D> =D> =D>
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
no excuses
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by no excuses »

nwbobber wrote:You showed good judgement -and- you were a good example for your son. =D> =D> =D>
He might not think so now but he will know it some day :joshsmith:
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

EXCELLENT judgment! That site can get really dicey, and the entry/exit is not fun. We ran into problems once there, and got a bit scraped up on the lava rock getting out. (that is, once we were even able to FIND the exit area from the water) That was the site I learned the VERY important lesson of turning around and picking out some landmarks on shore to help you coming back in - you don't realize how it all looks the same once you're out there and finding that ONE little teeny cove to exit your dive is like finding a needle in a haystack when viewing it from the opposite direction.

I remember once, early in my diving days, when I was hesitant to thumb a dive because I felt like a wuss and didn't want to let my buddies down. Thankfully one of the other divers picked up on my concern and thumbed it for us - claiming HE wasn't comfortable with it. I know he did it on my behalf however, and I haven't been afraid to thumb a dive ever since.

So yeah, important lesson that both your wife and your son will have learned from your wise and courageous move. AND you...hopefully what we're all saying here reinforce how important it is to have done what you did.

Well done!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

EXCELLENT call. Surf entries and exits are challenges, especially for those of us who typically dive the placid Sound -- and just because the surf is doable when you get in, doesn't mean it can't be a lot worse when you get out! (I actually have experience with that at Ulua Beach, where we had to get out at the next beach up because of current, and then got our butts handed to us by the surf.)

Calling a dive is almost never easy, and the ones I've called on conditions, I've always second-guessed myself on. But in the end, the fact that you come back, unharmed and not frightened, to dive another day -- that's the important thing.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

nwscubamom wrote: That was the site I learned the VERY important lesson
of turning around and picking out some landmarks on
shore to help you coming back in - you don't realize
how it all looks the same once you're out there and
finding that ONE little teeny cove to exit your dive is
like finding a needle in a haystack when viewing it from
the opposite direction.
- Janna :)
That site LOVE's to teach that lesson! I had a very, very similer
experience there.

You made the right call. Don't second guess yourself as it may
Make you reluctant to make that same call in the future.
You were right.... Period...
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Thanks all, I feel better.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

My girlfriend and I dove 5 Graves on a relatively calm day, and the exit was still WAY more exciting than the worst Puget Sound day I've had. You did good, calling it.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

"If there's ANY question, there's NO question. Don't go." Words from an early mentor. Kept me alive, so far.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I love not only the general responses, - "Thumbing a dive for any reason, no repercussions." But also the specific responses with regard to people who know the specific dive site the OP referenced.

NWDC Rocks! :supz:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman