Now I know why no one Freedives here

General banter about diving and why we love it.
derek b
Avid Diver

Now I know why no one Freedives here

Post by derek b »

No, It's not the cold!

No, Its not the crappy vis!

No, its not the crazy currents!

Its the fact that no one on a boat gives a Fu*!% about dive flags.

As I came up from a dive I turned around to see a boat heading around the corner.. It buzzed by me about 25' away, The driver didnt look in my direction once...

Well at least 25' was further away then the second boat that tried to kill me.

about 30 min later as I was breathing up for a dive to about 50' I here the drone of an outboard. I look up to see a boat heading directly at me, with enough speed that half of the boat is out of the water. I start swimming on my back as fast As I can toward the shore which is about 100 or so feet behind me In about 3 seconds the boat is passing directly on top of my dive flag. As it goes by I am Yelling and cursing at the driver of the boat... He looks at me, shrugs and keeps going.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Now I know why no one Freedives here

Post by CaptnJack »

Where were you diving?

I've found flags to be attractive nuisances more than anything.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Yanno why so many places require you to use a dive flag?

... it makes it easier for the recovery team to locate your body ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

This is why they make bang sticks!!!!!! :pirate:
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Next time bring a spear gun, shoot the side of the boat and climb aboard. After climbing in proceed to use gun to knock out driver and jump out laughing as he runs into a naval safe zone. Oh...yeah the irony
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

I wonder if the Washington Scuba Alliance would be interested in putting together a poster to be posted at boat stores, sporting goods stores, marinas, and boat ramps. Maybe the power squadron would even help out by at a minimum displaying the poster at boat shows. That might help with some of the ignorant. The arrogant I am afraid would take far more drastic action. :dontknow:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I doubt it'll get any better until we get to the point where it takes more than a VISA card to put a boat in the water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Grateful Diver wrote:I doubt it'll get any better until we get to the point where it takes more than a VISA card to put a boat in the water ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Boater education is now required (phased in rather slowly) but I doubt it really makes a difference anyway.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Like everything else someone will have to be seriously injured or killed before the authorities take any kind of action.

When I took the boater course I think there was something in there about dive flags. It's be awhile so I'm a little fuzzy on that. Also most divers are using the red/white dive flag as opposed to the Alpha flag.

I know that there have been threads on here before talking about this.

I second the idea about WSA getting the message out to the boating public. Maybe they can work with the WSDOL (Washington State Department of Licensing) and have them include a handout with the registration to help educate boaters. I'm not sure how boat registration works but don't they have to buy new tabs every June?

Also it would help if the Coast Guard / Harbor patrols would start enforcing the laws. Would be nice if there was a consistent law for the entire state instead of the variability that we have now.

Just my $0.02,

Mike
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Rockfish wrote:Also most divers are using the red/white dive flag as opposed to the Alpha flag.
Most boat owners have absolutely no effing clue what an Alpha flag is. There's at least a chance they've listened to Van Halen before and could identify a red+white dive flag... Most divers put the red+white dive flag on the back of their cars, as well... I know that before I was a diver I knew the dive flag pretty well, but didn't have the faintest clue about the alpha flag...
derek b
Avid Diver

Post by derek b »

In hawaii, There are so many people in the water, surfers, divers, spearos, tourist, and turtles, that if a boater sees any kind of Float they stay away from it.

In the few months that I have lived here I have repeatedly seen boaters inspect anything floating in the water like they are a f22 pilot on a bombing mission. I've seen this for salmon nets as well as my dive flag. Because of this I feel safer diving without a flag then with.

Education would be the first place to look.. Although I would assume that if you could afford to buy a boat then you would be responsible enough to realize that there are other recreational activities in the sound as well.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

derek b wrote:In hawaii, There are so many people in the water, surfers, divers, spearos, tourist, and turtles, that if a boater sees any kind of Float they stay away from it.

In the few months that I have lived here I have repeatedly seen boaters inspect anything floating in the water like they are a f22 pilot on a bombing mission. I've seen this for salmon nets as well as my dive flag. Because of this I feel safer diving without a flag then with.

Education would be the first place to look.. Although I would assume that if you could afford to buy a boat then you would be responsible enough to realize that there are other recreational activities in the sound as well.

From what my friends tell me there is also a very strong education by law enforcement effort in Hawaii. How strong is the law enforcement in the SEA area?
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'm afraid that given the fact that we turned down there attempts to raise taxes we can expect precious little from the state. We will be lucky if they don't close most if not all the state parks and ramp facilities. They certainly won't be doing any increasing of any kind of enforcement that doesn't raise money for the state or counties.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dusty2 wrote:I'm afraid that given the fact that we turned down there attempts to raise taxes we can expect precious little from the state. We will be lucky if they don't close most if not all the state parks and ramp facilities. They certainly won't be doing any increasing of any kind of enforcement that doesn't raise money for the state or counties.
Exactly, we get what we pay for. State Parks is the "boater education and safety" agency in WA and they are bottom of the funding barrel.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:I'm afraid that given the fact that we turned down there attempts to raise taxes we can expect precious little from the state. We will be lucky if they don't close most if not all the state parks and ramp facilities. They certainly won't be doing any increasing of any kind of enforcement that doesn't raise money for the state or counties.
Exactly, we get what we pay for. State Parks is the "boater education and safety" agency in WA and they are bottom of the funding barrel.
Which is stupid because when given the chance to fund the state parks, the citizens of the state paid in excess of what the state hoped to collect on the voluntary $5 with their car tabs. So of course the state reduced the amount they WERE paying for the parks, rather than let them develop any sort of a surplus. Knowing that people are actually willing to pay for the parks pretty much ensures that they, along with Fire fighters, police, and education will perpetually be on the chopping block.

Don't confuse not wanting increased taxes with not being willing to pay. Some of us just don't think that they way Olympia has been spending the money we've already given them is evidence that we should give them more.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Yeh, If you don't think people are willing to support parks just try to get a reservation at one of the parks during the camping season.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:Some of us just don't think that they way Olympia has been spending the money we've already given them is evidence that we should give them more.
Well the funds dedicated for this and fnds dedicated for that model hasn't worked out too well in CA. Everyone has their pet prioirity but in aggregate nobody's happy.
Mongodives
Aquaphile

Post by Mongodives »

Who got the flag laws passed? Divers. Who pays the State and Feds to use the water ways? Boaters
Who is the Safety priority? Boaters. Kind of a golden rule thing, except those who pay the gold get the benefit of the rules.
"we're gonna need a bigger boat" Sherriff Brody
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Another rule is "The world is run by those that show up".

If there was interest here from others as well I would be willing to work on boater education. A couple of ideas off the top of my head is to hand out fliers at popular boat ramps showing what dive flags look like and the ramifications of not giving them the buffer required by law. Probably less effective would be showing up as a guest speaker for boaters groups, but it would help get the issue more top of mind for responsible boaters. I'm sure there are a dozen other ways to get the message out.

Anyone else interested in "showing up"?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

4ster wrote:Another rule is "The world is run by those that show up".

If there was interest here from others as well I would be willing to work on boater education. A couple of ideas off the top of my head is to hand out fliers at popular boat ramps showing what dive flags look like and the ramifications of not giving them the buffer required by law. Probably less effective would be showing up as a guest speaker for boaters groups, but it would help get the issue more top of mind for responsible boaters. I'm sure there are a dozen other ways to get the message out.

:goodpost:
I'm sure we have some talented graphic person here who could use some of the outstanding photo talents of NWDC members to make a snazzy poster suitable for boat ramp kiosks and West Marine store windows.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:I'm sure we have some talented graphic person here who could use some of the outstanding photo talents of NWDC members to make a snazzy poster suitable for boat ramp kiosks and West Marine store windows.
though i'm not the most talented graphics person in the world, if you send me the content and photos you'd like to use, i'd be happy to help create the layout.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

CaptnJack wrote:
4ster wrote:Another rule is "The world is run by those that show up".

I'm sure we have some talented graphic person here who could use some of the outstanding photo talents of NWDC members to make a snazzy poster suitable for boat ramp kiosks and West Marine store windows.
I still think WSA is the correct vehicle for this campaign but NWDC is also a good vehicle. I will show up.
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

there is no reason that we could not join forces if they were willing..
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I was also wondering if boat shows would allow us a free info booth or work with us to hand-out flyers or put an ad in their hand-out or something . . . anyone have contacts that might know?
Kelly
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

ktb wrote:I was also wondering if boat shows would allow us a free info booth or work with us to hand-out flyers or put an ad in their hand-out or something . . . anyone have contacts that might know?
Boat show is run by the PNW Marine Trades Association (or something like this, the exact name escapes me). I'm sure they would <sell> booth space, not sure about donating it. I will see what I can drum up.

Maybe JanK, Spatty, Boydski and a couple others could come up with a snazzy flyer? With a draft in hand it'll be much easier to "sell". I have neither the photographic nor the advertising moxie to pull this together.