Deaf divers

General banter about diving and why we love it.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Deaf divers

Post by scottsax »

I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
DiverChris
Avid Diver

Re: Deaf divers

Post by DiverChris »

One of my best open water students has some reduced hearing. It was an advantage when it came to underwater communication. Her skill at interpreting signs, body language and expressions really helped her understand exactly what was going on in the pool and open water dives. She communicated better than many other buddies that had far more experience. She has continued to dive and has gone some places that I would love to dive.

It is nice to see there are some charters that are providing the top side service.

-Chris
"Fix the first problem fully and calmly before you even think about the second problem"
-Shadow Divers (Robert Kurson)

http://www.theperfectdive.com

SSI Advanced Open Water Instructor
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

We have a few deaf divers in our area, one of which is legendary for spotting critters most folks miss. One downside I witnessed at Mukilteo was one of the divers had a freeflow & none of the group could hear it. 2 of my dive buddies saved the diver from a total loss of air but it was surely a shortened dive. I sure wouldnt let hearing loss stop me. Hell I'd dive blind if I could find someone trustworthy to lead me around.
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

dieseldude: I'm sure I know you from your postings. I have dived with the legendary critter finder. I find him to be an excellent buddy. His buddy awareness, trim, bouyancy, navigation, air management, and judgement are superb. He is also generous, loaning me a pair of gloves when I stupidly arrived at the dive site missing one. Needless to say, his sign language is unexcelled. Hearing is a minor part of diving; the gurgle of bubbles, the barking of sea lions, the singing of Humpbacks are all pleasant but not necessary to be a safe diver. Many divers value him as a buddy.
Happy to be alive.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

oldsalt wrote:dieseldude: I'm sure I know you from your postings. I have dived with the legendary critter finder. I find him to be an excellent buddy. His buddy awareness, trim, bouyancy, navigation, air management, and judgement are superb. He is also generous, loaning me a pair of gloves when I stupidly arrived at the dive site missing one. Needless to say, his sign language is unexcelled. Hearing is a minor part of diving; the gurgle of bubbles, the barking of sea lions, the singing of Humpbacks are all pleasant but not necessary to be a safe diver. Many divers value him as a buddy.
I'm one who does value him as a buddy ... although we haven't managed to hook up as often as I'd like.

He's also an excellent photographer ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I also, don't get to dive with "Bob" as much as I would want to. Only because he is a North end diver.
I dove at Titlow with him once and yes, not only did he find all of the cool critters, when I was unsure which way was shore, he seemed to know exactly where we were and I followed his lead back to shore. Great dive buddy and with his note book, he is very easy to communicate with, if you don't know sign language.
1+ for the deaf divers :supz:

Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Many years ago, I posted, asking about ASL for divers. I'm still fascinated by it, and was pleasantly surprised when I got that article in my email this morning.
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Main problem there is:
The sign for Thank you, Please ans Share Air is all too closely simular.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

BASSMAN wrote:Main problem there is:
Agreed. that's why I don't thank people underwater.

:smt064

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

scottsax wrote:

Unless, of course, you are out of air and they give you some ... :notworthy:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Grateful Diver wrote:
scottsax wrote:

Unless, of course, you are out of air and they give you some ... :notworthy:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Of course! In that situation I'm sure I would do something like this: :notworthy:

derek b
Avid Diver

Post by derek b »

My Best friend and dive buddy is deaf, He is an amazing Freediver.
ASL is also an amazing tool while underwater. especially as a photographer. IMO the aquatic world is one where the tables are turned, the deaf surely have the advantage.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Cheng used to claim that I was deaf ... but it turned out to be just a bad case of matrimony ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)