is it tec or tech or tek

General banter about diving and why we love it.

which word is right

tec
22%
tek
8%
tech
62%
t_ _ _
8%

Total votes: 37

nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

is it tec or tech or tek

Post by nice-diver »

Is there a correct answer to the dive term tec diver. Which one do you use, do you know why?
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Re: is it tec or tech or tek

Post by nice-diver »

I guess I have mostly used tec. scuba pro has a gear line tek car clubs have tech sessions If the goal of d i r / tec diving is to be the same, maybe everyone should write it the same. which one is correct??
Last edited by nice-diver on Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
i flickr

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

taco
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

airsix wrote:taco
Or is it tacho, or maybe tako......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... must be a slow night in Eugene ... so which of these is correct ???

:stir:

:smt064

:popcorn:

:nutty:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

nice-diver wrote: If the goal of DIR/ tec diving is to be the same, maybe everyone should write it the same.
Well, first you'd need to get agreement that that is even a goal.... :angelblue:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

cardiver wrote:Or is it tacho, or maybe tako......
Well, tako is Japanese for "octopus", but it's Swahilli for "buttock", so...uh....yeah. :taco: :bootyshake:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

There are two main vocabularies for fenestration. One can place windows on a wall, or the windows can become the wall. Consider the multiple impacts either of these choices might have on volume, flow, and community.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:There are two main vocabularies for fenestration. One can place windows on a wall, or the windows can become the wall. Consider the multiple impacts either of these choices might have on volume, flow, and community.
Word
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:
nice-diver wrote: If the goal of DIR/ tec diving is to be the same, maybe everyone should write it the same.
Well, first you'd need to get agreement that that is even a goal.... :angelblue:
Of course it's not ... but tossing DIR into a troll thread is a tried and true method for turning it into a :boxer:

I dunno why people do this so often on this board ... why don't they just STFU and go diving?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: is it tec or tech or tek

Post by Joshua Smith »

I don't *think* that was the goal in this case. Look up the post history....I'm gonna guess its a comprehension issue combined with a situational awareness deficit.
Grateful Diver wrote:
John Rawlings wrote:
Of course it's not ... but tossing DIR into a troll thread is a tried and true method for turning it into a :boxer:

I dunno why people do this so often on this board ... why don't they just STFU and go diving?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

No matter what you call it, no matter how you do it, it's all S-C-U-B-A D-I-V-I-N-G.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Now I have an image of Josh sitting at home admiring his door and window placements while nom-nom-ing on aspic meat jelly.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah, but you're doing it all wrong.
Pez7378 wrote:No matter what you call it, no matter how you do it, it's all S-C-U-B-A D-I-V-I-N-G.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Joshua Smith wrote:Yeah, but you're doing it all wrong.
Do you clean fenestrations too?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Re: is it tec or tech or tek

Post by Joshua Smith »

Frequently.
CaptnJack wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Yeah, but you're doing it all wrong.
Do you clean fenestrations too?

scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

(Edited to be less smartass and crotchety...)

Also, "technical".

"Tech" is acceptable, as it's a shortened version of the word "technical", but "tec", and "tek" are all marketing terms. I also don't like "lite" instead of "light" or "Xmas" instead of "Christmas". I'm old-fashioned in that I think English should be spoken completely and correctly.
Last edited by scottsax on Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Oh, go eat a bbq donut.

scottsax wrote:
troll.jpg
Also, "technical".

"Tech" MIGHT be acceptable, as it's a shortened version of the word "technical", but "tec", and "tek" are all bastardizations of the original word. I also don't like "lite" instead of "light" or "Xmas" instead of "Christmas". I'm old-fashioned in that I think English should be spoken completely and correctly.

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

This is all just too "technical" for me! :nutty:

Please put that D-- term back in it's box before someone get hurt :boxer: :boxer:
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Joshua Smith wrote:Oh, go eat a bbq donut.
Is that a thing? I'll eat it if it's a real thing...

I'm just grouchy because I'm still not diving due to sinus issues....

You fenestrator, you...
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

scottsax wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Oh, go eat a bbq donut.
Is that a thing? I'll eat it if it's a real thing...

I'm just grouchy because I'm still not diving due to sinus issues....

You fenestrator, you...
Its been a while Scott. When you are ready for your refresher course let me know, and dont forget your snorkel
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

scottsax thank you, that makes sense

everyone else sorry, I don't know what a troll thread is. I just wanted to know what is more right for my own self and sounding intelligent when I post and answer. This people on this site are all about continuing education, its just what I was trying to do. SO i guess the correct answer is :nutty:
Last edited by nice-diver on Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i flickr

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nice-diver wrote:everyone else sorry, I don't know what a troll thread is. I just wanted to know what is more right for my own self and sounding intelligent when I post and answer. SO i guess the correct answer is :nutty:
hey jeff

looks like someone thought you started this thread as a way to cause trouble and stir up some old debates. sorry you had to explain your intentions, but i guess it was needed.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

nice-diver wrote:scottsax thank you, that makes sense

everyone else sorry, I don't know what a troll thread is. I just wanted to know what is more right for my own self and sounding intelligent when I post and answer. This people on this site are all about continuing education, its just what I was trying to do. SO i guess the correct answer is :nutty:
Hey there! Sorry for being grouchy-I'm on an extended surface interval for the last few months. It's a fair question, and I think if you're new to diving, "TECHNICAL DIVING" is a bit of an unknown. I'm not even sure I understand how to quantify it. "Tec" and "Tek" seem to be more marketing terms than anything else.

nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

You were fine, you gave an answer. my geaar is set up hogarthian...dir...teky...i just wanted to know the more better way to spell it from the one group of people that offerr to help anyone
i flickr