Saw Sanctum Last Night

General banter about diving and why we love it.
mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Saw Sanctum Last Night

Post by mjachetta »

Got a free pass to Sanctum, I did not like it, very distrubing, however, the cave diving clips were wonderful :supz:

Share your thoughts :calvin:

MJ
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Saw Sanctum Last Night

Post by kdupreez »

I'm seeing it friday, will let you know what I think!

How did you score a free pass to a premiere ??
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

I won't know till I go downtown tomorrow to see it. It looks interesting, but not the greatest. Caves have always interested me, and that is the main reason I'm going to see it.
mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

Dive master got tickets, yes, to the premier
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Beautiful cave, very nice shots...terrible movie. I'll save further discussion until the other folks see it tomorrow, but it was pretty much as bad as the reviews said it would be.
ivankarmel
Just Settling In

Post by ivankarmel »

Ditto on the thumbs down. I saw it in IMAX 3-D which made the movie visually stuning but the acting was terrible, the movie too long, and it was full of cliches. On the other hand there isn't another cave diving movie out there and with the great special effects its certainly worth seeing especially for anyone interested in underwater movies. The movie will also be interesting to rock climbers. There's some great footage of rock climbing, use of a belaying rack and technique. There are some disturbing scenes which are grusome so be prepared for that. Not for kids. Divin' Ivan
Last edited by ivankarmel on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

ivankarmel wrote: Just about everyone dies, indeed grusomely so be prepared for that, over and over again. Divin' Ivan
"Oh are you talking about Ivan "movie ruiner" Karmel?" Yeah I know that guy, hes on the same dive forum as I am...

:smt064 :smt064 :laugh:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Saw it last night at IMAX 3D

So, Its hollywood and big-name directors.. and with that expectation in mind, I went, I saw, I thought it was pretty entertaining.

certainly no Oscar winner and obviously not 100% "technically" correct on all diving matters, but I kinda enjoyed it quite a bit.. it was very entertaining, kept you nail biting on your seat..

slightly predictable and depressing end, but all in all I'll give it a thumbs up for pure entertainment value.

BTW - this is probably not something that will inspire a lot of cave divers for sure! probably a good thing too! It very clearly highlights the dangers and realities involved
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
RedOne
Just Settling In

Post by RedOne »

Well, here we go.
It is not really 100% Hollywood. It was 100% Hollywood marketing but director and actors are second rate from Australia, which was obvious by bad job they did.
I think the best quote I saw was from the person that never dove in his life. It goes something like this. “If those idiots stop and think for a second than they may not be all dead at the end of it”.
From cinematography perspective it is pathetic that we just slap 3D to movie and expect it is going to be OK. 3D just made things worst. I saw it in IMAX 3D and nothing was in focus and I checked after, I do have 20/20 vision. 
Cave Diving? Let’s not go there. Full face masks buddy sharing? Ouch.
If they hired at least one good Cave diving consultant they would fare better and not lose money on this disaster of movie.
It is unfortunate but the world compare cave movies to Descent and as it stands that is best movie about spelunking made so far. Come-on we can do better, and by the way there is Descent II and it is awful as first one is. 
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Watching Sanctum on tv to see if the acting is better sans I Max and 3 D.
It isn't.......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I've seen better film on teeth.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

cardiver wrote:Watching Sanctum on tv to see if the acting is better sans I Max and 3 D.
It isn't.......
You didn't have enough liquor on hand apparently.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
cardiver wrote:Watching Sanctum on tv to see if the acting is better sans I Max and 3 D.
It isn't.......
Apparently not........ :partyman:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

cardiver wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
It isn't.......
Apparently not........ :partyman:
Hehe rum makes any James Cameron movie vastly more watchable! I wouldn't have made it through Sanctum without it. Was a cave diving movie right? :dontknow: :koolaid: :uh:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

it's not really a james cameron movie. he "produced" it, meaning threw some money at it, but actually had no hand in the creation of it.

i wonder if he regrets having his name associated with it now.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

*watched Sanctum 5 times...twice in the movie theater* *going back to my little hole* Even with the crappy acting I liked it...
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'll probably watch it someday. When I heard about the guy sucking air bubbles off the ceiling, I opted not to see it in the theaters. And Cameron is hit and miss. "Aliens" and "The Abyss" were great fun. "Avatar" was a terrible movie with amazing FX.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I got a kick out of the movie. It was a lot of fun. No way in hell will I share a FFM rebreather with someone, nor would I say, "Leave your tiny-ass bailout out here, and shove your hurking kitty litter box though the hole."

But I really got a kick out of it. My wife, knowing that I would be going to cave country was not as amused.

D
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

defied wrote:My wife, knowing that I would be going to cave country was not as amused.

D
Yeah, I'm guessing that this would not be the movie for a cave diver to take their long-suffering non-cave diving spouse to. :angelblue:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Hehehehe...
canadianoid
Just Settling In

Post by canadianoid »

RedOne wrote:Well, here we go.

If they hired at least one good Cave diving consultant they would fare better and not lose money on this disaster of movie.
. 
They did. Agnes Milowka. She died shortly after while doing a no-mount exploration in Tank Cave in Australia.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

canadianoid wrote:

. 
They did. Agnes Milowka. She died shortly after while doing a no-mount exploration in Tank Cave in Australia.
Pretty sure Wes Skiles worked on it too. Also deceased although his death was not cave related.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I had no idea that she had died.. that's a huge bummer =/
canadianoid wrote:

. 
Jeff Kruse
Compulsive Diver

Post by Jeff Kruse »

I liked it and require people to watch it as a form of disclosure when they go caving with me. :laugh: So much of it is true and has happened :eek: (just not all on one trip)! Flash floods, ropes breaking, hair in the rappel rack, drowning, ect all happen relatively frequently.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Kruse wrote:I liked it and require people to watch it as a form of disclosure when they go caving with me. :laugh: So much of it is true and has happened :eek: (just not all on one trip)! Flash floods, ropes breaking, hair in the rappel rack, drowning, ect all happen relatively frequently.
I remember those kinds of trips with you!