Noranders Reef?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Celeus
Frequent Bubbler

Noranders Reef?

Post by Celeus »

My PNW Current and Tides book (great book, btw) has a listing for Noranders Reef, but I can find no reference to it on the web. It shows it as right on Bainbridge island.

Anyone know anything about this site?
-- Celeus
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I've never dove there. But I know you can get some info by going to nwscubamom's website-pnwscuba.com-and checking out the Dive Site Maps section. Norranders Reef is listed there.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

I have dove Norrander's Reef 3-4 times. It is an easy dive with little/no current--there can be a bit of a current on an ebb tide. I recommend that you do your first dive there on a low tide as the tide is starting to come in for that reason and for another one. The second reason is that there is a fool-proof way to find the reef, but it can be hidden under the surface on really high tides. There is a small crab pot buoy attached to a line that is attached to another line that leads straight out to the reef. On high tides, that buoy is sometimes submerged.

I've seen many types of fish there (it can look like an aquarium), lots of nudibranches, octos, and even a wolf eel.

Parking is extremely limited--5-6 cars max!

Jenn