REDONDO STEPS CLOSED

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

REDONDO STEPS CLOSED

Post by Lonestar »

Here's the latest, I'll update when I hear something new....

Tim, Sunday I had the Harbormaster look at the steps. He is calling our States biologist & Dept of Fish And Wildlife to see (because it’s a hazard) if they would let us pour steps in place. He believes anything we set there may move and cause more of a hazard. We were told to close it off for now so no one else may get hurt. Access to the water will have to be either walking down the boat ramp or North of Saltys for now. As soon as I hear anything I will let you know.

Thanks, Scott

Scott Wilkins
Maintenance Manager
Des Moines Marina
206 824-5701
206 383-0662 cell
swilkins@desmoineswa.gov
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: REDONDO STEPS CLOSED

Post by ktb »

Wow. Well, better safe than sorry. And I'm glad they are looking at making them safer.
Kelly
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

A good thing really, Someone was going to get hurt for sure. At least we know something is happening anyway.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Looks like our OW class of high school students will be going in from the beach. :queenliz:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
ahppycmpr
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by ahppycmpr »

Looks like I got one of the last dives in before they closed. We dove last night around 8:30, tonights dive will be from the north side beach. :)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

ahppycmpr wrote:Looks like I got one of the last dives in before they closed. We dove last night around 8:30, tonights dive will be from the north side beach. :)
I saw that drysuit last Thursday at Redondo. I thought you were filling potholes! :neener:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
ahppycmpr
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by ahppycmpr »

I was filling the wrong hole apperantly.
Now I can take advantage of the suit and direct traffic ;) north beach everyone...
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

UPDATE: So, the Harbormaster has permission from Fish & Wildlife to pour a few steps or a ramp and to install another railing. The work window doesn't open until after August 1 and a Hydraulic Project Approval is required. F&W offered to issue an expedited HPA so that the work can being sooner. The HM is completing a JARPA (a consolidated application for the 14 required permits) as they want this done before the boat ramp is opened up for boats as we will not be able to use the boat ramp for entry then.

Des Moines and Fish & Wildlife are moving this right along. The HPA, plans and drawings are required so it will still be a little bit before we have the steps back. There is light at the end of the tunnel though!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Isn't bureaucracy great! A job that we could do in an afternoon requires 14 permits and god only knows how many man hours of paperwork before the work can even be started :angry:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Tim, it's great to hear things are moving forward. Are there steps being taken to prevent more toe scour in the future? I haven't been there in a while but from what's been written here on NWDC I get the impression that the new pour is needed because of toe scour at the base of the steps. I'm not an engineer, but I would expect a repeating cycle of extend, scour, extend, scour... indefinitely unless some type of bulkhead is erected below grade at the base of the steps. I would expect that to be the only way to insure they last. Again, I'm just asking. I don't know much about that stuff.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

It could be but I don't know what the elevations were when the steps were first poured. Only the top of the footing is exposed so there isn't a structural issue now. I think prophylactic measures to prevent future erosion are FAR beyond the scope of work they intend.
Tim McClung

BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

:popcorn: August huh? :popcorn:

They should do a pour like Les Davis, if it's waiting on 14 permits, government sub contracting and all the paperwork. :computersmash: :popcorn:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

All I have to say I hope that it gets done sooner cause it will make the Dive Around the Clock Event ( JULY 15-16)kinda more interesting. :popcorn: :stir:
Jeff Castor
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Wow, good point Jeff forgot all about that. I just shot him an email inquiring on the status and if they anticipate having it done by then.
Tim McClung

WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

If they can't get the work done by then, perhaps they can figure out a temporary solution for that 24 hour period.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Dusty2 wrote:Isn't bureaucracy great! A job that we could do in an afternoon requires 14 permits and god only knows how many man hours of paperwork before the work can even be started :angry:

+1

I was there last Saturday mentally unprepared for the long walk in double 130's.

BTW - Thanks for the update(s) Lonestar.
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

The Harbormaster office is stilling waiting to hear something. They said that if it is not done before Dive Around the Clock they WILL open the steps for the event.
Tim McClung

WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Lonestar wrote:The Harbormaster office is stilling waiting to hear something. They said that if it is not done before Dive Around the Clock they WILL open the steps for the event.
Will they do something to temporarily make it safe for that day also? The last time I saw it, that last step was a doozy. If they are going to do something, the DATC people need to know that they will have to do something. Don't want any mishaps getting into the water.
Georgia

Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

I have asked if there is a temporary measure they can take with the bottom step for the event, I'll let ya know.- Tim
Tim McClung

WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Great. Thanks, Tim.
Georgia

Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Hey Georgia, Scott promises that he will have a step, permanent or temporary, in place for DATC
Tim McClung