This doesn't sound good...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: This doesn't sound good...

Post by John Rawlings »

I'm really hoping and praying that Kirby is able to pull through this. Having gone through a DCS Type II hit myself, (eight days of chamber runs), I have an extremely strong sense of what he and his loved ones are going through right now....the fear of what might happen is something that you have to experience to truly understand. In reading the updates above I have been re-running everything from my hit in my mind and placing myself in his shoes....

But this is not about me...everyone needs to be pulling for him and his family - praying, hoping...and just clinch-fist believing in a good outcome. Trust me, they need all of the good thoughts and prayers that they can get in this situation....the future and what it holds simply has to be terrifying them right now, and they all need to be embraced by the warmth of loved ones, friends and a kind, caring community that understands.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Sending healing thoughts and prayers Kirby's way.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

"But this is not about me...everyone needs to be pulling for him and his family - praying, hoping...and just clinch-fist believing in a good outcome. Trust me, they need all of the good thoughts and prayers that they can get in this situation....the future and what it holds simply has to be terrifying them right now, and they all need to be embraced by the warmth of loved ones, friends and a kind, caring community that understands."

- John

Very well said John. Thank you so much.

I'm just keeping Kirby and Mrs. Kirby and his family in my thoughts and prayers.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

shavedheadphil wrote:Talked to the nurses this morning and Kirby has shown improvements overnight. He is still in the critical care unit. Kelle is finally getting some sleep. I'll continue to update everyone as I get news.
:joshsmith: That's great news!!

I'll keep sending good thoughts his (and his family's) way!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

shavedheadphil wrote:Talked to the nurses this morning and Kirby has shown improvements overnight. He is still in the critical care unit. Kelle is finally getting some sleep. I'll continue to update everyone as I get news.
where is that darned "LIKE" button!

well said John...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Kirby has been running a fever this afternoon. No other changes. He's still in the critical care ward. Kelle appreciates all the thoughts and prayers and offers of help!
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence.
There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
-Jules Verne. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

shavedheadphil wrote:Kirby has been running a fever this afternoon. No other changes. He's still in the critical care ward. Kelle appreciates all the thoughts and prayers and offers of help!
Thanks for keeping us updated, Phil. My good thoughts are with him. And, like many others have said- if there's anything I can do- please ask. If his wife needs a place to crash closer to VM than her house, for example.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Joshua Smith wrote:
shavedheadphil wrote:Kirby has been running a fever this afternoon. No other changes. He's still in the critical care ward. Kelle appreciates all the thoughts and prayers and offers of help!
Thanks for keeping us updated, Phil. My good thoughts are with him. And, like many others have said- if there's anything I can do- please ask. If his wife needs a place to crash closer to VM than her house, for example.
Yes, thank you! And what Josh said. If there is anything I can do to help... please don't hesitate to ask.

Steve
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

How refreshing to see the decorum and class in this board and the discussion revolving around the successful recovery of Kirby. Adding my thoughts and best wishes.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Thanks for the update on Kirby this a.m.
Please keep us updated, it is appreciated.
I will keep Kirby and family in my thoughts.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Kirby is still fighting. He's had a few fevers that have come and gone. They have taken him off the paralytics but still have him in a drug induced coma. His O2 levels are fluctuating but that is expected due to the damage to his lungs. Kelle appreciates all offers for help and places to stay. She has a cousin that lives in the area. Please keep the pollard family in your thoughts and prayers!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

shavedheadphil wrote:Kirby is still fighting. He's had a few fevers that have come and gone. They have taken him off the paralytics but still have him in a drug induced coma. His O2 levels are fluctuating but that is expected due to the damage to his lungs. Kelle appreciates all offers for help and places to stay. She has a cousin that lives in the area. Please keep the pollard family in your thoughts and prayers!
Damage to his lungs? Did he aspirate salt water?

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

It seems that he did. Not sure of what all happened to him.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

shavedheadphil wrote:It seems that he did. Not sure of what all happened to him.
Damn. Pretty sure that's not good. Kirby's tough, though. Thanks again for the updates.

gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

I just assumed some lung over expansion injury. It sounds like it's not too bad (hopefully). I'm sure the prognosis gets better with time.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I consider Kirby a close personal friend and an occasional dive buddy, Thanks for the updates Phil, please keep them coming.
My thoughts and prayers are with Kirby and his family. Please, as to what has already been mentioned on here, Lets not speculate what happened here. I'm sure Kirby, in his own time, will let us know the details of this accident.

Keep fighting Kirby, We are here for ya!
(Phil, pass this on for me please)

Keith
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

John Rawlings wrote:I'm really hoping and praying that Kirby is able to pull through this. ...

But this is not about me...everyone needs to be pulling for him and his family - praying, hoping...and just clinch-fist believing in a good outcome. Trust me, they need all of the good thoughts and prayers that they can get in this situation....the future and what it holds simply has to be terrifying them right now, and they all need to be embraced by the warmth of loved ones, friends and a kind, caring community that understands.

- John
Best post on the subject. Neat thing about prayers; distance doesn't matter. Coming South at light speed.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Just heard from the hospital.. Kirby is Hanging in there. He's been fighting with fevers since last night but seems to shrug them off. The Buckley FD has been working his shifts and his union has gotten Kelle a room to stay in for the next week. I believe that the Burien FD union is going to pick up after them. The ammout of support and prayers have made this time easier for the Pollard family! Thanks to all and I will relay messages directly to Kelle twice a day! Thanks!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I am very encouraged by the tone this thread has maintained. It's a tribute the the members that everyone is pulling for Kirby and not airing allot of conjecture and innuendo.

I have dove with Kirby many times and always found him to be a good dive buddy and a genuine nice guy. Always ready to jump in anytime I found myself without a buddy. This kind of news really hits home and has made me allot more conservative this last week.

I wish his family the best of luck with this and hope that the outcome will be a good one. Kirby is tough and I know he is fighting very hard. I am glad to hear that his friends and fellow fire fighters are stepping up to help make this time a little easier for the family.

My prayers and best wishes go out to the family.

Dusty
Last edited by Dusty2 on Sat May 14, 2011 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Well said Dusty...
We're all pulling for Kirby!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I just got a note from Winter that says Kirby opened his eyes this morning. Didn't see it posted here so thought to throw it down.... Any other details Phil?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

More info:
No more news at the moment they would like friends to visit
Kirby and Kelly for the support, but please, keep the groups in the room
to 2, as it is very small. There is a waiting area down stairs. As for
cost, the local union are covering the cost of the hotel, however Kelly
has been eating a LOT of hospital food and if we want to help getting
a real meal in the real world will help a lot so if we want to get a
gift coupon or just take her out it will be well received.

This news came through the PDZA discussion group.
Kirby also dives in 12 feet of water @ the Point Def. aquarium.
I do not have the Hospital room number but I bet it wouldn't be hard to find it.
I plan on going to visit Kirby and his wife on Tuesday am.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Great news!!!
Thanks...
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

I don't have anything new to post. I'm planning on heading up to see him today and I'll post from there! Thanks!
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Kirby is doing better. He is still on the ventilator and being sedated. Please continue to pray and send thoughts to him and his family! With that being said... I want to plan a benefit dive for Kirby and his family. I'm thinking about next sunday 22May at Sunnyside beach in Stelicoom at 1300. I plan on having Hotdogs and drinks and all money raised will go to Kelle. Please pass the word around and let's get together to support the Pollard family. Thanks