This doesn't sound good...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
gutholmj
Perma Narc'd

Re: This doesn't sound good...

Post by gutholmj »

shavedheadphil wrote:Kirby is doing better. He is still on the ventilator and being sedated. Please continue to pray and send thoughts to him and his family! With that being said... I want to plan a benefit dive for Kirby and his family. I'm thinking about next sunday 22May at Sunnyside beach in Stelicoom at 1300. I plan on having Hotdogs and drinks and all money raised will go to Kelle. Please pass the word around and let's get together to support the Pollard family. Thanks
This is great news and such a wonderful idea to put together a benefit.
"Well as much as this pains me I am gonna have to pull out" - pogiguy05
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yes, it's a great idea! I will probably not be able to attend the dive- please let me know where I could send a contribution to, though.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I won't be in town/country that day, but Redondo might be a better choice, to get some of the North end divers there.
Jst FYI.
more info:
From PDZA Safety Diver:
"Hi all,
> I just got off the phone with a Nurse at the unit. Kelly was on a much
> needed break. The nurse could not into details but she did say that
> Kirby is improving a bit. They have managed to drain some of the fluid
> from him and the infection appears to be getting under control.
> I wish I could go with you on Tuesday, if possible I will plan a trip on
> Wednesday.
> The gift card idea is a great one. The nurse mentioned that some of his
> crew was thinking about a fund raising dive for Kirby. She passed along
> my info so I will do the same when I hear."
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Joshua Smith wrote:Yes, it's a great idea! I will probably not be able to attend the dive- please let me know where I could send a contribution to, though.

ditto - I'll be in Canada that weekend, but would like to know if there is some online place to contribute?

Kirby knows there's a whole dive club rooting for him! hang in there bro!

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Kirby continues to fight! The docs are hoping to get and MRI this week and put him on a portable ventilator (mask vs tube). I told them all he needs is a reg hooked up to a deco bottle and he'll react automatically. I'm crazy busy at work this week, US ARMY, so I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to talk to the people at the bank about setting up an Account. Hopefully I'll get something set up by Friday. If anyone has any insight on how to do this please PM me. I've shown the family all the posts and they really appreciate all the support and prayers. Please pass the word on the Sunday dive at Sunnyside around.. hopefully there will be a big turn out and I'm trying to make sure Kelle will be there to see all the support and get her out of the hospital for a bit. Thanks to all!
Ah, sir, live in the bosom of the waters! There alone is independence.
There I recognise no masters! There I am free.
-Jules Verne. Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I visited Kirby today, he is responsive and can respond with eye movements and can nod "yes" or "no".
He still has a ventilator tube down his throat but is mainly breathing on his own. I think they are controlling how much oxygen he is getting, as they slowly bring him down to normal levels. While I was there, a team of 7, Doctors nurses and other people in hospital garb, surrounded his bed as they discussed his improvements and what to do next. With a lot of help from the staff, they got him sitting up on the side of the bed, with his feet touching the floor. I could see the excitement from his family members, as this was a major step towards his recovery. Cards, money and visits are very much appreciated.It's interesting how Kirby's co-workers in the fire department, Kirby's co-volunteers from the Aquarium and his other dive buddies and nwdiveclub members, are getting to meet each other and see how much support there is for Kirby and his Family. I don't know if I'll get a chance to see him before I leave for my vacation but I'm sure going to try. I could see frustration on Kirby's face as he can not talk or use his arms for communicating.
Before I left I talked with one of the doctors, as he was talking about how Kirby needs to be staying at one atmosphere
or maybe not diving at all after this. I did get him to agree that he can still dive in a 12 foot deep aquarium. He said, "well that wouldn't be much fun!" And I told him If you have a bunch of sharks in there it is! I asked Kelly about the "Bell" I heard Kirby found and she said, "Someone else mentioned that too" So then she turned and asked Kirby, "Did you find a bell?"
Kirby's eyes opened wide and he nodded a solid "YES!" Keep Kirby in your prayers, I was able to join in a group prayer, with some of his fire department buddies before they left.
Last edited by BASSMAN on Tue May 17, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

In terms of raising money: a while back I started a thing where people sold dive gear and donated the proceeds. Masks, fins, the extra stuff you had lying around. Paypal went to one place, dive gear got sent off to the purchaser. I think that would be a good idea here if someone is willing to take the lead and organize (or just get the thread rolling).
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

BASSMAN wrote:Before I left I talked with one of the doctors, as he was talking about how Kirby needs to be staying a one atmosphere
or maybe not diving at all after this.
Obviously I'm no doctor but that's exactly what they (the doctors) told Richard Pyle after he got bent to the point of being paralyzed from the waist down. Since then he has logged hundreds, if not thousands of dives, many of them below 300FSW.

There is always hope. For now though I'm just happy to hear that there are encouraging signs of a recovery. :taco:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

The Pollard Family would like to say THANK YOU for all the support that NWDIVECLUB has shown! Its amazing to see how many people this mans life has touched. I totally agree with Mattleycrue76. I don't think anything will keep Kirby out of the water. The report for the hospital today is very good and Kirby is doing much better. The hospital staff has been overwhelmed by the amount of people coming in to see him. I believe that they are going to move him to the 4th floor soon and visitors will have to wait in the downstairs waiting room to go up to see him in shifts. I'm looking into setting up a paypal account but my time and resources are limited due to work. Thanks again and I hope to meet everyone on Sunday!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

shavedheadphil wrote:The report for the hospital today is very good and Kirby is doing much better. The hospital staff has been overwhelmed by the amount of people coming in to see him
That's GREAT news Phil! Thanks for keeping us updated brother.
shavedheadphil wrote:I'm looking into setting up a paypal account but my time and resources are limited due to work. Thanks again and I hope to meet everyone on Sunday!
If you need some help with that Phillip.. hit Jacqueline and I up, we'd be more than happy to help in any way we can. I know that getting a hold of me via the phone is hard as it seems when ever you do call me I've got my hands full of stuff. But if you call me before 9:30am or after 10:00pm I'm usually not busy. Or just drop by the house, announced, unannounced... it don't matter as long as you stop by.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Any new news?
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Latest on Kirby... He's doing much better, he's been trying to write but doesn't have the strength or coordination. The Docs are planning on taking out the respirator tube within the week. They are trying to get his strength up so please don't plan on visiting him between the hours of 1300-1600.. (1pm to 4pm). Renee Bailey has set up a donation account on facebook. There is a link to it on my facebook profile as well. You can use paypal to make a donation and it takes less than a minute. Its showing up on multiple pages as well, (Tacoma Scuba) has a link. Thanks for all the support and hope to see alot of divers on Sunday! Oh search Phillip Watson for my page on FB.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome, thanks. That is great news.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Just got off the phone with Phil. He and Kirby got to go outside today, they pulled his tubes, threw his ass in a wheelchair and putted him around a bit! I'm sure phil had Kirby doin' wheelies and the like, I think they have plans to slap a V8 on the next chair! But I'm guessin.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

I didn't make it up there Waynne. Just heard it from Kelle!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Waynne Fowler wrote:Just got off the phone with Phil. He and Kirby got to go outside today, they pulled his tubes, threw his ass in a wheelchair and putted him around a bit! I'm sure phil had Kirby doin' wheelies and the like, I think they have plans to slap a V8 on the next chair! But I'm guessin.
Best news I've heard all day!!!
Come on Kirby!!!!
Yippee!!! :joshsmith: :joshsmith:
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

shavedheadphil wrote:I didn't make it up there Waynne. Just heard it from Kelle!
:( I miss understood that part. I envisioned you n Kirby terrorizing the whole hospital playing bumper cars with the wheelchairs and doin bermshots offa the old geezers walkers.
I didn't realize you weren't there..... Hmmm.... I like my version best.
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Come by and support the Pollard family tomorrow! Dive For Kirby at Sunnyside Beach in Steilacoom tomorrow! The links for donations is posted! please help them out!
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Hope to see alot of divers and well wishers today at Sunnyside Beach! Kirby is doing alot better and talking a bit now. No word on when he'll be out of the CCU. I'm sure it is going to be a long recovery for him. Please come by today and show some support! If you cannot make it please donate on the FUNDRAZR link and show his family we are here for them! Thanks to all!

http://apps.facebook.com/fundrazr/activ ... e55ac14d4f
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Talked to Kirby on the phone tonight! He is being moved from CCU to a regular room! Gonna be a long recovery for him though.. The dive/BBQ was a success today. Raised 435.00$ and a free boat trip on Bandito Charters. Thanks to all that came by!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Thanks for keeping us updated.
I'm sorry I wasn't able to attend the dive today as I had to work, but The KIrbys' are in my thoughts.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Any news?
Prognosis?
K
"Let's go diving!"
shavedheadphil
Avid Diver

Post by shavedheadphil »

Kirby is doing better. All "tubes" have been taken out of him and hes eating solid food and getting around with the help of a walker. I spoke to him on the phone Sunday and he sounded like "Kirby" Hopefully I'll get up there this weekend to see him. Thanks for all the support!
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Yeay, Kirby you fighter you! Love you big guy!
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

So glad he's doing better! Would love to hear his story, no judgement given. Just glad another diver didn't pass away... :partyman: