This doesn't sound good...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

This doesn't sound good...

Post by Nwbrewer »

Scuba diver rescued by West Seattle Water Taxi crew

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/t ... st_se.html

Hope everybody's OK.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: This doesn't sound good...

Post by Tom Nic »

Yikes...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Wow. Well, it does say "diver rescued", so that sounds hopeful.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

yeah, sounds like "rescued" means its good news.. really really hope so.

komo has a news post as well..

http://westseattle.komonews.com/news/91 ... ver/640360
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Hate to say it, but we always seem to see a jump in dive accidents at this time of year. Lots of brand new divers in the water, and lots of folks dusting off their gear for the first time this year, I guess. Be careful, everyone.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

A little more info from the West Seattle Blog:

http://westseattleblog.com/2011/05/west ... f-seacrest
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I know some of those deckhands, possibly the one who reportedly jumped into the water to aid the 50yo man in distress. Its been open season on unionized government employees this spring and those folks are both. Hats off to their efforts on his behalf, hope he makes it.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

From reports coming in from the fire rescue team that was on the scene, it was an elder 50 year old solo diver that had a rapid ascent from 200ft (according to computer profile) due to low/out of air emergency..

Diver was intubated on the scene and is at Harbor View in critical condition at the moment and a chamber ride at Virginia Mason is scheduled within the hour..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Highliner
Avid Diver

Post by Highliner »

Solo diver experienced an out of air(good old 21%) emergency at 213fsw and performed an emergency accent from depth. The Seattle Water Taxi came accross him quite a ways from the shoreline at Cove 2. He was taken aboard the vessel and met up with a Coast Guard who then ran him to the dock where care was taken over by Seattle FF and Medics. The patient was electively intubated in the field and transported to Harborview where he remains in critical condition. As soon as he is relatively stable he will be taken to the chamber at Virginia Mason. He had shown signs and symptoms of DCS as well as a possible lung over-inflation injury. I will post updated information as soon as it becomes available
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, dear . . . How does anyone who plans a dive to 200+ feet run out of air?

I guess we need more gas management seminars.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

What kind of dipwad does a solo dive to 213 feet in the first place?????

Hats off (or hoods off, for PNW divers) to the rescuers!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

dwashbur wrote:What kind of dipwad does a solo dive to 213 feet in the first place?????
Well, me, for example. I realize that solo diving can be controversial, but it ain't illegal. I think it can be safer than, say, riding a motorcycle, for instance.

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

dwashbur wrote:What kind of dipwad does a solo dive to 213 feet in the first place?????
Sorry dave, but I think that's a truly insulting comment. I've only been to 176 feet solo ... so I guess that makes me a mini-dipwad.

Seriously dude ... that question really rather misses the point!

Going solo to ANY depth and allowing yourself to run out of air is a serious issue.

Going deep and skipping your deco is a serious issue.

If you can't plan dives better than that on EITHER count, you probably have no business going deep ... or solo.

But I'll leave it at probably, because we really don't know what happened ... now do we?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Re: This doesn't sound good...

Post by Norris »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Sorry dave, but I think that's a truly insulting comment. I've only been to 176 feet solo ... so I guess that makes me a mini-dipwad.

Going solo to ANY depth and allowing yourself to run out of air is a serious issue.

If you can't plan dives better than that on EITHER count, you probably have no business going deep ... or solo.

But I'll leave it at probably, because we really don't know what happened ... now do we?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
+ 1.. solo diving is not for everyone.

It happens out there though

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

That is an AWESOME addition to your sig line, Rick.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Yes, my question was very poorly expressed. I apologize.
Grateful Diver wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Dave

--
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Well, me, for example. I realize that solo diving can be controversial, but it ain't illegal. I think it can be safer than, say, riding a motorcycle, for instance.
Technical divers often do deep solo dives. Let's put a lid on the mud slinging comments, stick to info as we know it, and try and keep this potentially volatile thread from becoming a poopstorm.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Gas management saves lives and applies to all dives. Be weary of anyone who preaches differently. Thanks you Bob, Brian, Scott, and Peter who selflessly offer this free seminar. There is no excuse for running it of gas.

Hoping for some good news...
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Solo diving is solo diving. Some of it ends up in the technical realm.

Technical divers, typically plan team dives with the ability to finish them solo if things go wrong.

The amount of gas that I think you would need to execute that dive safely, alone, is pretty large; it's a long swim to 213 at Cove 2. Did he do it on a scooter?
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Blitz wrote:Solo diving is solo diving. Some of it ends up in the technical realm.

Technical divers, typically plan team dives with the ability to finish them solo if things go wrong.

The amount of gas that I think you would need to execute that dive safely, alone, is pretty large; it's a long swim to 213 at Cove 2. Did he do it on a scooter?
I don't think he owns a scooter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Do we know who the diver is, and does anybody here know him personally?
Dave

--
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Highliner wrote:Solo diver experienced an out of air(good old 21%) emergency at 213fsw and performed an emergency accent from depth. The Seattle Water Taxi came accross him quite a ways from the shoreline at Cove 2. He was taken aboard the vessel and met up with a Coast Guard who then ran him to the dock where care was taken over by Seattle FF and Medics. The patient was electively intubated in the field and transported to Harborview where he remains in critical condition. As soon as he is relatively stable he will be taken to the chamber at Virginia Mason. He had shown signs and symptoms of DCS as well as a possible lung over-inflation injury. I will post updated information as soon as it becomes available
He ain't gonna make it if he's too unstable for the chamber.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Winter
Dive-aholic

Post by Winter »

Hes one of my original buddies when I first started diving, I met him right here on the board. From what I hear from close friends is that hes in the chamber after having 46 min of deco showing that he did not do. It was a 147 foot rise in 2 min to 24 foot and started doing deco. I was not told of depths beyond 172.
http://www.winterdiverart.com/
Be not the slave of your own past ... plunge into the sublime seas, dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

I hope he comes out of this OK. Good to hear that he is in the chamber.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I would imagine he didn't plan to run out of air. Perhaps he attended a gas management seminar at some point, had adequate gas and simply had a gear malfunction that was totally unrecoverable from.

We don't know what happened, and we don't really know what is going on right now... We may not agree with a persons style of diving, or their choices and risk assessment but honestly, when someone is trying to not die, and they probably have loved ones and friends reading this forum, its time to remember that they are a person and not just some random news article to throw stones at or make conjecture about survivability.

Winter, sorry to hear about your friend.
LCF wrote:Oh, dear . . . How does anyone who plans a dive to 200+ feet run out of air?

I guess we need more gas management seminars.
Last edited by ljjames on Tue May 10, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"