Lost at Redondo: Nikon Camera in Ikelite Housing

General banter about diving and why we love it.
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Lost at Redondo: Nikon Camera in Ikelite Housing

Post by derekcs »

I was out diving at Redondo this afternoon with friends. The visibility was 5 feet, maybe. We were at about 40 ft on our second dive and north of Salty's (so directly in front of the beach area). If we were on the shallow line, it would've been closer to the first reflector piles.

As I was snapping a photo of a stubby squid, one buddy signaled to end the dive given the crappy viz. My buddies started to swim towards shore. Not wanting to lose them, I tried to keep a close eye on them and make sure we hit our safety stop, etc. In the confusion, my camera became untethered and I dropped it. Tried a basic search pattern, but the viz just wasn't doing anything to help. Will try again tomorrow morning if God willing the undertow hasn't swept it out.

At any rate, it's a Nikon D3100 w/ 18-70mm lens with one DS51 strobe attached and the dome port. Yes, it is insured. Yes, I still feel like an absolute schmuck.

In case you hear anything regarding it or happen to find it, let it know its owner is very sorry and wants it back desperately and then let me know.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Lost at Redondo: Nikon Camera in Ikelite Housing

Post by John Rawlings »

Oh, man! I shall be keeping my fingers crossed for you!!! May good fortune return and your system be back safely in your hands where it belongs....

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Yikes! That's a wonderful camera. I'm really hoping it finds its way home to you.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

So we went back this morning to try one more time. I was able to deduce its probable depth based on my computer's log and the depth at the point where we descended. Visibility was better, about 8-10 ft. We traveled about the same path as yesterday's dive. Within five minutes, I had found the camera. It still had battery power (after being left on overnight) and was able to take photos. I've got to check the dome port for scratches and clean the salt out real good, but otherwise, all appears well.

Very suspenseful 12 hours...
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

:partydance:

That's great news!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

That is awesome! I bet you got the biggest smile in the world when you saw it.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

:supz:
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Congrats! Gotta love success stories like this one!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

That's great! Congrats!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
karant
Frequent Bubbler

Post by karant »

Your experience could be a great success story for Ikelite housings and Nikon cameras! Amazing after 12 hours in the murk, that is was in a similiar location, and the batteries still had some charge. Good luck on the dome. If it is acrylic it is easy to rub out scratches.

:bounceline:
derekcs
Perma Narc'd

Post by derekcs »

mancub wrote:That is awesome! I bet you got the biggest smile in the world when you saw it.
Did the chest pound that NBA players do after hitting a big shot.
karant wrote:Your experience could be a great success story for Ikelite housings and Nikon cameras! Amazing after 12 hours in the murk, that is was in a similiar location, and the batteries still had some charge.
I was also thinking that. I wasn't surprised about the camera having charge. It uses very little charge if the LCD screen is inactive.
All underwater photographs of mine are posted at http://www.dereksinger.com
@dereksingerphotography on Instagram
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Fantastic! I'm SO happy for you!!!!! :taco:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

WooPeee! :joshsmith: :joshsmith:

I know how you feel having been there! Like the weight of the world is suddenly lifted. Don't forget to say thanks to the big guy for holding it there for you. :supz:
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

karant wrote:Good luck on the dome. If it is acrylic it is easy to rub out scratches.

For you photographers to file away in case you scratch a glass port someday: Cerium Oxide powder will polish the scratches out. MZbunchanumbers did this recently with good results. Stuff is cheap. You can grab a little baggie of it off ebay for a few bucks.

-Ben
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

airsix wrote:
karant wrote:Good luck on the dome. If it is acrylic it is easy to rub out scratches.

For you photographers to file away in case you scratch a glass port someday: Cerium Oxide powder will polish the scratches out. MZbunchanumbers did this recently with good results. Stuff is cheap. You can grab a little baggie of it off ebay for a few bucks.

-Ben
There's lots of things you can buy in little baggies off the internet...

(grats on the camera)
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Blaiz wrote:
airsix wrote:

-Ben

(grats on the camera)
Hmmmm, Speaking from experience?? :smt064
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Dusty2 wrote:
Blaiz wrote:
airsix wrote:

-Ben

(grats on the camera)
Hmmmm, Speaking from experience?? :smt064
Well, she IS in pharmaceuticals . . .
Kelly