Drowning doesn't look like drowning

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Drowning doesn't look like drowning

Post by Joshua Smith »

This was posted over on Rebreather world. It's an excellent article, well worth reading.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Drowning doesn't look like drowning

Post by Dusty2 »

Indeed, I had no idea. Very good info. Should be mandatory reading for anyone who lives or plays near water.

Thanks for posting.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Uh, yeah. That whole thing was VERY uncomfy for me to read. I sometimes think it's funny that I can even dive, since drowning is one of my biggest fears. It probably stems from growing up body surfing in the Atlantic and getting caught one too many times in an undertow.

But always good advice for sooooo many things . . . if someone can't answer, "Are you ok?" with an actual yes or no, then they aren't. End of story.
Kelly
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

great article.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

ktb wrote:Uh, yeah. That whole thing was VERY uncomfy for me to read. I sometimes think it's funny that I can even dive, since drowning is one of my biggest fears. It probably stems from growing up body surfing in the Atlantic and getting caught one too many times in an undertow.

But always good advice for sooooo many things . . . if someone can't answer, "Are you ok?" with an actual yes or no, then they aren't. End of story.
I am quite glad it was not actually "one too many times" because if it was you would not be with us to read this. :eek:
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Joshua Smith wrote:This was posted over on Rebreather world. It's an excellent article, well worth reading.

Thanks for posting this link, I forwarded the web link to almost everyone I know. I've always wondered why this isn't covered in CPR classes.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: Drowning doesn't look like drowning

Post by Joshua Smith »

sitkadiver wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:This was posted over on Rebreather world. It's an excellent article, well worth reading.

Thanks for posting this link, I forwarded the web link to almost everyone I know. I've always wondered why this isn't covered in CPR classes.
We kinda, sorta, went over this in my Rescue Diver class. But this article sums it all up very neatly. Everybody who spends time in or near the water should read it, IMO.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

This may be the most valuable thing posted. Hey, I know everything, yet I learned from this article. I have been involved in several rescues, most were obvious, but one was as the article says. For some reason I asked, "Are you ok?". He answered, "No. I'm not going to make it." He did. I can think of few feelings worse than losing a friend or family member to drowning because I was oblivious. Thanks.
Happy to be alive.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Thank you!!
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

If we are going to get started on water safety let me recommend folks go take a look at Cold Water Boot Camp too. Around here the water is cold enough to cause some initial physiological reactions that can kill you well before hypothermia does. Living through the first moments of your unexpected immersion is necessary to survive to be rescued or self rescue. Wear you life jacket and insist that others you boat with do so too.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

It's amazing how much valuable information is packed into such a small article. THANK YOU!!!!!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

damn that is good info, why dont they force feed this to people in any water activity? having just had to get my boat license to keep boating this also isnt in that material.
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
don
Aquaphile

Post by don »

Excellent! Thanks for posting this.
mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

Thank you for posting, very informative!!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow....thank you so much for sharing this. I am forwarding this link. Excellent article.