How much do thigh pockets affect trim?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
renoun
I've Got Gills

How much do thigh pockets affect trim?

Post by renoun »

I added thigh pockets to my suit while I wasn't diving after my eye surgery last winter. I've been feeling a little out of sorts since I started diving again and am beginning to think that being out of trim (foot heavy) was caused by more than just time off from diving. I think that other than the bolt snaps my pocket contents are probably neutrally buoyant. Moving 2lbs from my belt to the top cam band seemed to help last night when I was diving a LP-95.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: How much do thigh pockets affect trim?

Post by Sounder »

It depends on what you put in them! :neener:

Not much, if at all. Nothing you're going to have in your pockets are going to weigh much. SMB, spool, spare mask, wet notes, dive alert, strobe, rubber-chicken, etc.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Did anything else change? Fins, undergarments, booties?
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Same fins (Jets) and attached boots. Undergarment, socks, and underwear unchanged. I'm still wearing gators. I did switch to dry gloves. Same BP/W as before. I try to consistently put my cylinder in a location that has balanced well in the past.

My pocket contents are pretty consistent usually a spool/SMB, a folding snorkel, a backup bottom timer, and car keys. Sometimes I switch to a larger spool and SMB, add a Dive Alert, or carry a small strobe.

Are 4-6 bolt snaps really off my CG enough to throw me out of trim?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Did you lose or gain weight? I went very head-heavy when I lost 30lbs.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Sounder wrote:Did you lose or gain weight? I went very head-heavy when I lost 30lbs.
Interesting, I may be 10lbs heavier. I have no idea how well the scale is calibrated though, it was in the bathroom cabinet when I moved in.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

renoun wrote:
Sounder wrote:Did you lose or gain weight? I went very head-heavy when I lost 30lbs.
Interesting, I may be 10lbs heavier. I have no idea how well the scale is calibrated though, it was in the bathroom cabinet when I moved in.
I actually had to completely redistribute my weight in doubles after losing the weight and test several various options before finding the right combination of placement and poundage.
selkie
Submariner

Post by selkie »

Are you expecting us to infer that you have a large head and a smaller derriere now that you have lost 30lbs? :smt064
"A man must have some wit to know he is a fool"

Maritime Archaeological Society (MAS)
http://maritimearchaeological.org/

Northwest Diving History Association (NWDHA)
http://www.divinghistory.org/
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Where can I get a DIR rubber chicken?
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

nwbobber wrote:Where can I get a DIR rubber chicken?
i want the beer/boltsnap rig in renoun's avatar.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Woah!!!!! What happened to Puppies and Ice-cream?
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ljjames wrote:Woah!!!!! What happened to Puppies and Ice-cream?
we ate them. they were tasty.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Ross go look at that video from last night. You may have felt really out of trim, you sure didn't look it.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

nwbobber wrote:Where can I get a DIR rubber chicken?
Well Archie Mcfee of course, but I don't think it is DIR unless you use a stainless bolt snap and tie on with cave line to avoid metal to metal connections. If you can't cut it loose in an OOP (Out Of Poultry) situation then it isn't safe for the team.
Nwbrewer wrote:Ross go look at that video from last night. You may have felt really out of trim, you sure didn't look it.
That was after I over-corrected and wound up head heavy. But then I suppose a few smart people have told me that level trim can feel a bit head heavy.
ljjames wrote:Woah!!!!! What happened to Puppies and Ice-cream?
They wouldn't hold still while I posed them for a photo so I ate all the ice cream. I don't suppose that could have anything to do with the wight gain.
Keats
Keats
Byron
Byron
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Since my pockets have been X-shorts for the last three years, and since anything that CAN be forgotten eventually will be, I can absolutely state that the presence or absence of pockets and the usual pocket contents makes no different to trim at all!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

My vote is weight loss and undergarment changes are the culprit. I went head heavy (again) when I lost about 20lb last year.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

So, it's probably not the pockets but it doesn't really matter. Trim weighting has to be adjusted from time to time.