Need ideas for dive boat!!! Help me before the wife changes

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Need ideas for dive boat!!! Help me before the wife chan

Post by dsteding »

Mattley mentions outboard replacement cost, but that is something to be thinking about in more detail. A "cheap" boat may not be that after you repower it. And, even a seemingly good motor can be money pit. I had to repower my boat--bought from a local somewhat prominent diver--months after purchasing it. I strongly believe the motor issues were known and not disclosed, I didn't get a survey, bought it on trust and got burned.

Be careful with i/o's, red flags are marina kept like Richard mentions. Outboards, watch out for junk, late 90's Evinrudes are really notorious, Yamahas are generally okay, Hondas are reliable. Scrutinize maintenance records. Or, find a hull and plan on repowering. This option may work well for a welded aluminum boat, find an older hull that is in good shape, hang the outboard of your choice off of it.

Or, look at a RIB, too bad you weren't in the market a few months ago, I sold mine for $14k. Search my posts for details, and keep posting options here for advice, Richard, Scott and others in this thread know their stuff.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
whatevah
Aquanaut

Post by whatevah »

I would recommend an older 22' SeaSport - single outboard (with kicker) is ideal. Great all around boat that will hold its value very well.
“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” -- John Muir
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/2490981136.html

Not much info but this sounds like it would be right up your alley if you're still looking.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

I was not impressed with my Titan AT ALL. It made a nice car and lousy truck. My 2011 F150 Eco-boost on the other hand........
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
nwdiver72
Getting To Know Folks

Post by nwdiver72 »

Thanks Mattley,
I will be calling about that one in the morning. Wish me luck.

James
straitscuba
Aquaphile

Post by straitscuba »

Keep us posted, did you find a boat yet?