Think Sea Lions are cuddly critters? Think again.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: Think Sea Lions are cuddly critters? Think again.

Post by ktb »

renoun wrote:I've been known to bite other diver's fins too. Ask KTB or Edge.
:rofl:
Kelly
psydiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by psydiver »

I
Fordman wrote:speaking of biting fins.....

again, I'm gonna have to go with Dennis here and suggest that you stop silting the place up :taco: sea lions tend to be kick nazis.

Plus, everyone knows that sea lions are DIR. :smt064
....some guys like that. -vbcoachchris
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

After a less than fun dive, at night, in Sitka, in February, Tom Nic, Diver Dave and myself were harassed by a Stellar Sea Lion, and the dive ended when Dave felt teeth on his head! He knew it was just feeling his head with his teeth but I'm sure anyone would be creeped out by that.
I saw it looking down at me, just above my head and I screamed like a girl and it went away. I think that would be my same repellent, if it happened again. After that I researched on the web, if divers had ever been killed or seriously injured by Stellar Sea Lions. Conclusion was No, but suggested not to dive during the "Mating Season" for the same reasons already stated. We decided the one that hit and harassed us was just curious about the Glow sticks we put on our tank valves.
I have done several night dives with no glow sticks and had no problems in February ( a non-mating season)
July is absolutely their Mating season.

Sorry to hear about this, and glad she was okay.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Norris wrote:Sea lion be frontin' on me I punch it straight in the grillz.

:rofl:

You go on. I's bus'n a cap in it
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

BASSMAN wrote:After a less than fun dive, at night, in Sitka, in February, Tom Nic, Diver Dave and myself were harassed by a Stellar Sea Lion, and the dive ended when Dave felt teeth on his head! He knew it was just feeling his head with his teeth but I'm sure anyone would be creeped out by that.
I saw it looking down at me, just above my head and I screamed like a girl and it went away. I think that would be my same repellent, if it happened again. After that I researched on the web, if divers had ever been killed or seriously injured by Stellar Sea Lions. Conclusion was No, but suggested not to dive during the "Mating Season" for the same reasons already stated. We decided the one that hit and harassed us was just curious about the Glow sticks we put on our tank valves.
I have done several night dives with no glow sticks and had no problems in February ( a non-mating season)
July is absolutely their Mating season.

Sorry to hear about this, and glad she was okay.
Well it's funny that now it's like "Ok who is wearing the glow stick tonight?" When we dive Sitka...haha
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

psydiver wrote:I
Fordman wrote:speaking of biting fins.....

again, I'm gonna have to go with Dennis here and suggest that you stop silting the place up :taco: sea lions tend to be kick nazis.

Plus, everyone knows that sea lions are DIR. :smt064
... you've apparently never dived with 'em ... seals and sea lions (seals in particular) can kick up more silt than a diver ever will.

Great part about diving Cove 2 in the winter time is the great vis. Worst part is that the damn seals stir it all up before you can enjoy it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/