advice for dry suit newby

General banter about diving and why we love it.
rustbeard
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

advice for dry suit newby

Post by rustbeard »

Hi guys,

So just wanted some advice on whether or not I should take a dry suit course. I just did my first dry suit dive in May (in Iceland!) I would've done the course, but didn't have time to read the book and answer questions, so I opted out of it. I felt pretty comfortable during the dive and the guide and dive buddies all complemented me on my buoyancy for my first time. They did give me a quick run down and some tips for dry suit diving, but nothing in depth.
I really want to get into diving out here and it seems like dry suits are the way to go. I've heard from some people that I should just start diving with other people. I do know that some dive shops won't rent you gear without a dry suit certification. I was thinking of getting a dry suit at the underwater sports sale in a few weeks, but a little hesitant since I am not too knowledgeable about dry suits.

Thanks,
-Matt
E_Mo
Aquaphile

Re: advice for dry suit newby

Post by E_Mo »

I would recommend the class. To me the class was helpful, as I knew nothing about drysuits when I started and my instructor took the time to show me everything I needed to know about use and care for my particular suit. There are some skills that I think are important that you learn in the class, such as recovering from a head down inversion, and dealing with a free flowing inflator.

When I bought my dry suit from my LDS they through the class in for free, I bet you could talk UWS or whatever other store you decide on to give you the class for a discounted price, or maybe free.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Unknown
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

E_Mo wrote:I would recommend the class. To me the class was helpful, as I knew nothing about drysuits when I started and my instructor took the time to show me everything I needed to know about use and care for my particular suit. There are some skills that I think are important that you learn in the class, such as recovering from a head down inversion, and dealing with a free flowing inflator.
+1. a class will help you reach a comfort level in your suit much faster than if you spent the time trying to figure it out yourself.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

+1 on the class
I think I did my class for the suit 3 or 4 months after I got it.

Its always a benefit to go out with an instructor who is an expert in a subject because you will learn something and it will help you to be a better diver.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

A class is probably a good idea, because it will introduce you to a couple of techniques for recovering from a feet-first ascent -- and almost anybody who is new in a drysuit will encounter one of these.

As far as a dry suit purchase, make sure you do your homework. I believe there are some good threads here on how to choose a dry suit, and I know there are over on ScubaBoard. Dry suits are made of different materials, have different kinds of seals, have different reputations for durability, and vary wildly in price (from the cheapest new dry suit I know of to the most expensive is a factor of five!) If you are going to spend your money wisely, it's good to know as much as possible going in, and make informed decisions based on YOUR particular imperatives.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Another "yes" on the class.

So many benefits -- you'll learn something from the class if it's well taught. If you want to get to know a shop, then select the shop you are going to use are your "home shop" and doing the class will help you help them. You can connect with someone there when you do the class, check out a suit and see if you like it (some shops might carry more than one type in rental so you can try others). There's a lot of great independent instructors out there who can help you out, too though.

Once you have the "certification," other individuals might be comfortable letting you take theirs for a spin -- another benefit of getting into the flow and diving with others. :)
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
rustbeard
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by rustbeard »

Thanks for all the response and sorry for the delay! I went ahead and just did the dry suit course, definitely a good idea! I may wait on to purchase a dive suit once I feel more comfortable and know for sure I'm gonna be sticking around these cold water parts.
Hopefully I'll see yall under the water!
CPMurray
Just Settling In

Post by CPMurray »

One thing I've learned about drysuits is they aren't always that dry and expensive to maintain. If you tear a seal or jam a zipper your pretty much finished untill its repaired. Not so with a wet suit. Depending how much you dive in cold water should make a difference in your choice. I have both and still prefer a wetsuit. Its not that cold here in the Pacific NW.
Matt S.
Submariner

Post by Matt S. »

Before you buy a suit, I really recommend that you try on a variety of suits in the shop. If you are at all like me, the feel of the suit on your body will be a big factor in your comfort. That's in addition to a proper fit, of course!

I started with a compressed neoprene suit, which was pretty chunky and heavy. It was also very warm, and I didn't have to wear much under it. That was nice! But the suit was just a pain to work with because it was so bulky. Eventually I changed to a trilaminate suit, which is much much lighter. However, it has no inherent insulation and requires thicker thermals. I found this combination to suit me better.

So, see if you can try on suits made from:

- Neoprene
- Crushed or compressed neoprene
- Bilaminate and/or trilaminate

You may find that you can eliminate some materials from contention.

Good luck.