What cylinder do you dive, and why?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Geek
Pelagic

Re: What cylinder do you dive, and why?

Post by Geek »

I dive twin 23cf fabers....... because they look cool hooked up to the rebreather they are on :angelblue:

I started diving al80's like almost everyone and they were fine except the lead you need, then some steel 100's came up.. then some 120's.. then some 119's, I think for puget sound diving, depending on your size, 100's or 119's are perfect for any dive. 120's are a bit long unless your tall.
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Geek wrote:I dive twin 23cf fabers.......
have you started your training?
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

Post by enchantmentdivi »

I fall into the "you're gonna die" category according to most folks with my choice of tank. I only dive small, Faber mid-pressure steel 72s, which really only have 72 cf if they are filled to the 10% + rating overfill from what I understand (which mine are usually not...). They are the perfect physical size for me--lightweight and only 21.5 inches tall (the boot falls on my back instead of in my butt crack), and I average a 70+ minute dive on them most every dive.
Jenn
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

enchantmentdivi wrote:I fall into the "you're gonna die" category according to most folks with my choice of tank. I only dive small, Faber mid-pressure steel 72s, which really only have 72 cf if they are filled to the 10% + rating overfill from what I understand (which mine are usually not...). They are the perfect physical size for me--lightweight and only 21.5 inches tall (the boot falls on my back instead of in my butt crack), and I average a 70+ minute dive on them most every dive.
At least they are heavy! (and overfilled)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

CaptnJack wrote:At least they are heavy! (and overfilled)
I think they are light in comparison to HP100s, etc.

And, huh?
Jenn
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

enchantmentdivi wrote:

And, huh?
The Faber mp72 is about -3.5lbs empty whereas a PST or Worthington hp100 (3442/3500psi = fx100 in Faber lingo) is about -2.5lbs empty. So your 72s are actually heavier than most people's hp100s. The Faber "hp100" is ghastly heavy at about -7lbs empty. They aren't really in common use. Bdub has some as singles but his are the only ones I have seen locally.

If I owned mp72s (3000+ rated, 3AA cylinders) I'd just filled them to 3500, but that's just me.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
enchantmentdivi
Amphibian

CaptnJack wrote:If I owned mp72s (3000+ rated, 3AA cylinders) I'd just filled them to 3500, but that's just me.
That happens on occasion. :eek: And, I don't complain. :breakdance:
Jenn
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

CaptnJack wrote:
enchantmentdivi wrote:

And, huh?
The Faber mp72 is about -3.5lbs empty whereas a PST or Worthington hp100 (3442/3500psi = fx100 in Faber lingo) is about -2.5lbs empty. So your 72s are actually heavier than most people's hp100s. The Faber "hp100" is ghastly heavy at about -7lbs empty. They aren't really in common use. Bdub has some as singles but his are the only ones I have seen locally.

If I owned mp72s (3000+ rated, 3AA cylinders) I'd just filled them to 3500, but that's just me.
My buddy dives twin Faber 100's..... and still insist's he needs a v-weight :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Geek wrote: My buddy dives twin Faber 100's..... and still insist's he needs a v-weight :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Fx100s or hp100s?

Most of us still need lead with doubles, quite a bit actually...
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

I still don't own my own tanks, but I regularly dive the shop's mid-pressure 95s. Has the same profile as a steel 72, but with (obviously) more air.

A few times I've had the privilege of diving Karl's 119s, and I really like the way it trims on me. If I ever take the step of owning my own tanks, I'd probably buy a couple of those.
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Blaiz wrote:I still don't own my own tanks, but I regularly dive the shop's mid-pressure 95s. Has the same profile as a steel 72, but with (obviously) more air.

A few times I've had the privilege of diving Karl's 119s, and I really like the way it trims on me. If I ever take the step of owning my own tanks, I'd probably buy a couple of those.
Not sure what you are diving now?

but typically in steels...
lp = 2400psi with a + = 2640
mp = 3000psi with a + = 3300
hp = 3442/3500psi no pluses

Faber has their goofy fx vs hp designation which kinda throws this off. Fx = 3442psi no plus, Hp = 3180psi+ = 3500

There's no "mp95" although an lp95 and a hp119 are the same exterior dimensions and if pumped to the same pressure, whether by overfilling the 95 or underfilling the 119 will hold the same amount of gas. Most people seem pretty happy with 95s/119s.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:
Blaiz wrote:I still don't own my own tanks, but I regularly dive the shop's mid-pressure 95s. Has the same profile as a steel 72, but with (obviously) more air.

Not sure what you are diving now?

but typically in steels...
lp = 2400psi with a + = 2640y
mp = 3000psi with a + = 3300
hp = 3442/3500psi no pluses

Faber has their goofy fx vs hp designation which kinda throws this off. Fx = 3442psi no plus, Hp = 3180psi+ = 3500

There's no "mp95" although an lp95 and a hp119 are the same exterior dimensions and if pumped to the same pressure, whether by overfilling the 95 or underfilling the 119 will hold the same amount of gas. Most people seem pretty happy with 95s/119s.
Those tanks she dives from the shop are the same ones you told me aren't mp95. Maybe you should drop by whidbey dive shop and check them out yourself? Could be stamped incorrectly?
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: What cylinder do you dive, and why?

Post by renoun »

Blaiz wrote:I still don't own my own tanks, but I regularly dive the shop's mid-pressure 95s
When I dive with Kris she usually has LP-95s, I guess they become mid-pressure when they are overruled.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Dashrynn wrote: Those tanks she dives from the shop are the same ones you told me aren't mp95. Maybe you should drop by whidbey dive shop and check them out yourself? Could be stamped incorrectly?
There are a very few ancient PSTs which are 3000+ rated (3300psi) which I guess meets today's definiation of "mid-pressure"?? At the time they were built who knows what they were called. Back then only lp72s and AL80s really existed in any broad use. These mp95s or whatever they might be are probably going on 30yrs old, PST didn't make many and I am not sure what their actual capacity is. Since they are a defunct company its a bit of a mystery. IIRC, someone posted pics of them on SB once, although I think they might have been stamped 100s. I've never seen one although that's not saying too much.

Otherwise "95cf" is typically a low pressure 2400+ tank, OMS called them "98cf" but they are the same tank.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Re: What cylinder do you dive, and why?

Post by CaptnJack »

renoun wrote:
Blaiz wrote:I still don't own my own tanks, but I regularly dive the shop's mid-pressure 95s
When I dive with Kris she usually has LP-95s, I guess they become mid-pressure when they are overruled.
if a...
2200psi+ lp72 is "low"
2400psi+ cylinder is "mid"??
3000+, 3180+, 3442, and 3500 being "high"?

I dunno about this cause I have always considered...
2200+ and 2400+ = low
3000+ = mid
3180+, 3442, 3500 = high

Mistaken identities? :eric:
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

I generally agree with you about the
2400=low
3000=mid
3400=high
pressure designations, which is, of course, rather arbitrarily assigned.

The steel 95s I dive are the mid pressure ones that are indeed thirty years old. (Ross, I haven't dove a low pressure when with you.)
2011_08010042 (Medium).JPG
2011_08010044 (Medium).JPG
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

H20doctor wrote:i have had a 119 for about 3 months now and its the BOMB!!! , i was diving on a LP 95,, which is still a great tank .. but now with the 119 i can stay down longer, and get better dives in , and see more
Dammit! I've been "Facebooking" for so long, I was seriously looking for the LIKE button! It's about time you upgraded! 119 is still my favorite tank, even if I don't dive anymore! But when I replace my gear, I'll be getting more 119's!
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well I have a couple of mismatched 130's and I usually start with around 3300psi and end of dive with 900-1000psi after a 1 hour dive. I also have a 19CF pony for the just in case scenario. I did own a couple a new 119's but they got adopted by someone before I even used them. I dont have visitation rights but I have seen them recently and they are being taken care of very well. :smt064 :popcorn:
Jeff Castor
crustydiver
Getting To Know Folks

Post by crustydiver »

I dive single 130s because I'm too weak to carry double 130s.
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Make a few dives and see how you do. As others have said, if your new and your air consumption is high, go big! I own two LP85's and two AL80's and dive a dry suit. Some time around 54 dives my consumption really came down. On a recent dive with Blaiz and Coulterboy, at the end of the dive I had the most cu left in my tank out of the three of us. Blaiz was in her "mid pressure 95" and Coulterboy was sporting a HP100. I was wearing a AL80 so I could save the nitrox in my LP85's for the boat dives the next day.
The main reason I went with LP85's is that my local shop won't give me tight fills in HP tanks and the superior buoyancy of steel tanks. Where I live there is only one shop. The AL80's are left over from the first tanks I bought when starting out. Another plus for LP85's is that they become a HP112 when mistakenly overfilled at your friendly lds that assumes every galvanized steel tank is a HP. Yep, 3500lbs. I was shocked at the time and did the math later.
It is never a bad thing to have more air on your back than the plan at hand calls for. Things have been known to come up that aren't part of the plan!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

I dive 130's.

Sometimes they hurt my body.

I really don't care.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Pez7378 wrote:
H20doctor wrote:i have had a 119 for about 3 months now and its the BOMB!!! , i was diving on a LP 95,, which is still a great tank .. but now with the 119 i can stay down longer, and get better dives in , and see more
Dammit! I've been "Facebooking" for so long, I was seriously looking for the LIKE button! It's about time you upgraded! 119 is still my favorite tank, even if I don't dive anymore! But when I replace my gear, I'll be getting more 119's!

Gee Pez, it's about time for you to get wet again.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Mateo1147 wrote:Make a few dives and see how you do. As others have said, if your new and your air consumption is high, go big! I own two LP85's and two AL80's and dive a dry suit. Some time around 54 dives my consumption really came down. On a recent dive with Blaiz and Coulterboy, at the end of the dive I had the most cu left in my tank out of the three of us. Blaiz was in her "mid pressure 95" and Coulterboy was sporting a HP100. I was wearing a AL80 so I could save the nitrox in my LP85's for the boat dives the next day.
The main reason I went with LP85's is that my local shop won't give me tight fills in HP tanks and the superior buoyancy of steel tanks. Where I live there is only one shop. The AL80's are left over from the first tanks I bought when starting out. Another plus for LP85's is that they become a HP112 when mistakenly overfilled at your friendly lds that assumes every galvanized steel tank is a HP. Yep, 3500lbs. I was shocked at the time and did the math later.
It is never a bad thing to have more air on your back than the plan at hand calls for. Things have been known to come up that aren't part of the plan!
That is so true about that dive with Mateo and Blaiz. Maybe I was way having too much fun, than supposedly "relaxing" on that dive. :supz:
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Mongo wrote:I dive 130's.

Sometimes they hurt my body.

I really don't care.
If you would quit fondling them inappropriately they would probably stop punching you.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
sea2summit
Avid Diver

Post by sea2summit »

Geek wrote:I dive twin 23cf fabers....... because they look cool hooked up to the rebreather they are on :angelblue:

LP19s, for the same reason :supz: Bottom time is pretty weak, about 6 hrs may have to go to some 23s.