How many dive with a wetsuit in the PNW?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

How many dive with a wetsuit in the PNW?

Post by Jeff Pack »

I'm trying to decide whether to get a wetsuit to get by for awhile, or not waste the money, and just into hock and get a dry suit.

Its been so long since I dived (and there were no dry suits back then) I just dont remember what it was like in a wetsuit in frigid waters.

Is a wetsuit really that bad for our colder waters?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: How many dive with a wetsuit in the PNW?

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:Is a wetsuit really that bad for our colder waters?
In winter or for 2nd dives yes its "that bad" like to the point of cutting the dive short or not doing it at all.
99.9% of serious PNW divers dive dry.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

I dove in a 7mil Farmer john for about 6 mos. before I made the switch to dry and I know several people who still dive wet though most have made the switch or are planning to... The diving itself isn't that bad it's the SI now that we're getting into the colder months, my feeling is that wetsuits are fine if you're only doing 1 dive but if you're going to do multiple dive then dry is definitely preferable... I have a Bare D6 neoprene that I really like and is pretty affordable plus I don't need much of an undergarment... Everyone has different tastes and opinions though...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

I did my first 25 dives in a farmer john 2 piece wetsuit. On dive #25 I came up out of the 48 degree water already a little chilled to do my surface interval before dive #2 in the 38 degree weather at Three Tree in November. After about 15 minutes I could not feel my feet and was just way too cold. Dive #2 never happened and I vowed to get a dry suit before my next dive. I think that ,in general, a 7mm wetsuit is good for when the outdoor temps are in the 80's or better and you can warm up good on the SI, other than that a dry suit is the way to go. Even when the weather is warm though I have found that as you gain experience and start diving larger tanks a wet suit just won't keep you warm enough during the hour plus dive times that you get into. In short, get a drysuit. If you still are considering a wet suit I'm sure there are a few people around here who have one hanging in their basement they could sell you for cheap to get you by. Like me. :laugh:
DecidedlyOdd
Aquaphile

Post by DecidedlyOdd »

Somebody wise once told me that a cheap, used drysuit is better than the fanciest, most expensive new wetsuit.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

The drysuit is really, really, worth investing in. I resisted the investment for my first 50-60 dives. What finally broke my willpower was a cold evening where I stumbled in the back of my van trying to peel my 7mm farmer john off of my clammy, wet body, and bloodied my shins, arms, and face up pretty well. It gets old fast.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

DecidedlyOdd wrote:Somebody wise once told me that a cheap, used drysuit is better than the fanciest, most expensive new wetsuit.
+1.

I dove wet for 2 years in PS, diving once a week, pretty much every week. When my gear froze to the tailgate, and I had driven about 20 miles before I stopped shivering I decided it was time for a drysuit. You don't NEED to spend a fortune. Check out CL, lots of good buys on lightly used Drysuits.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

thx folks, pretty much the answer I was expecting... :) I'm in contact with a board member on their dry suit right now.

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ORDiver wrote:I did my first 25 dives in a farmer john 2 piece wetsuit. On dive #25 I came up out of the 48 degree water already a little chilled to do my surface interval before dive #2 in the 38 degree weather at Three Tree in November. After about 15 minutes I could not feel my feet and was just way too cold. Dive #2 never happened and I vowed to get a dry suit before my next dive.
i had the exact same experience, but i never made it to november. late october did me in.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

I came to Seattle as a brokeass graduate student and did a handful of 45min dives in a 3mm wetsuit. I found the money for a used drysuit pretty damn fast :)

Not only are drysuits more comfortable, they're a heckuva lot safer too when used properly. In hindsight, being that cold probably left me with very little mental or physical capacity left in the event of an emergency.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

My first cold water dive was at BHUT in January. Planned 2 dives, did one. I had a dry suit for my 4th dive here in cold water ;-)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Dove through Dec Jan with a wetsuit and I am VERY tight with my money. I bought one pretty quickly. Best SCUBA investment I made.

I think mine, brand new 600.00

Bare Nexgen
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

unfortunately, my new is suit will be significantly more than 600$ :)

Unless somehow fates smile and I find a used Whites Fusion Bullet for sale used. :)

Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Jeff Pack wrote:unfortunately, my new is suit will be significantly more than 600$ :)

Unless somehow fates smile and I find a used Whites Fusion Bullet for sale used. :)
Well my 600.00 keeps me dry and fits well, those were my prerequisites for a suit, however different people have different needs. Good luck on your hunt. :)
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Norris wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:unfortunately, my new is suit will be significantly more than 600$ :)

Well my 600.00 keeps me dry and fits well, those were my prerequisites for a suit, however different people have different needs. Good luck on your hunt. :)
I love my NexGen! Eight years old and still going strong!
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

cardiver wrote:
Norris wrote:

I love my NexGen! Eight years old and still going strong!
I think about 250 dives in mine and only replaced the zipper (user error) and neck seal. Super happy!
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dry, Dry, Dry
Even a leaking dry suite is better than the ol' wet suite.

Go dry, you will not regret it!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Post by Peter Guy »

Dry Suit -- I am pretty impressed with the new(ish) Scubapro full neoprene Dry Suits -- $1000 for the Suit and Undergarment. It seems to me that you can get one, dive it for a couple of years and then be able to sell it for several hundred ($500?) and the money would be very well spent. IF that worked and you did 40 cold water dives/year, you'd end up with a cost/dive of just over $6 in just two years. Wouldn't that be worth the comfort?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Peter Guy wrote: IF that worked and you did 40 cold water dives/year, you'd end up with a cost/dive of just over $6 in just two years. Wouldn't that be worth the comfort?
Definitely!!!! Oh, wait, this IS Northwest Dive Club, after all....I meant to say "defiantly"!!!! :angelblue:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

you can find a dry suit for under 1000 or you can try the DUI'S FACTORY OUTLET page i got a duy suit ther for hafe the cost of a new one http://www.dui-online.com/fr.htm

but i would get a dry suit you well dive more up hear and be happyer
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Peter Guy wrote:Dry Suit -- I am pretty impressed with the new(ish) Scubapro full neoprene Dry Suits -- $1000 for the Suit and Undergarment. It seems to me that you can get one, dive it for a couple of years and then be able to sell it for several hundred ($500?) and the money would be very well spent. IF that worked and you did 40 cold water dives/year, you'd end up with a cost/dive of just over $6 in just two years. Wouldn't that be worth the comfort?
I tend to travel, so I need to stick with a shell. I'm going diving with Wally from Tacoma Scuba after I get certified, and will try both the new SB, and the Whites. The SB is almost 3 pounds lighter than the Whites.

Only thing thats makes me nervous on the SB, is the new material. How will that material be 5 years from now?

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:Only thing thats makes me nervous on the SB, is the new material. How will that material be 5 years from now?
Worn out. Needing new zipper + gone through probably 2 sets of seals already so you'll be wondering if you should just replace it. You could nurse it along for a few more years, but most of us would get a new one about this time.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Peter Guy wrote:Dry Suit -- I am pretty impressed with the new(ish) Scubapro full neoprene Dry Suits -- $1000 for the Suit and Undergarment. It seems to me that you can get one, dive it for a couple of years and then be able to sell it for several hundred ($500?) and the money would be very well spent. IF that worked and you did 40 cold water dives/year, you'd end up with a cost/dive of just over $6 in just two years. Wouldn't that be worth the comfort?
I've seen the ScubaPro EverDry in enough hands for long enough to officially Really Like Them(TM). (Full disclosure: my husband is shop owner of shop that carries ScubaPro. I dive a White's Fusion I bought used. My belief is that the best drysuit for you is one you can afford, and one you will dive sucessfully dry as often as possible.) I've seen many divers who love the water but hate the cold fail to convert from "certified diver" to "avid coldwater diver." I believe a suit like this can act as a critical key point in bridging that gap.

The pros about the EveryDry: under $1000 for the whole getup -- a great undergarment and the suit w/ hose--much more accessible than the options which are now $1800-3500. Easy to don, flexible, supple feel. Reports are that it's very warm. (I say reports because my ample behind won't fit well into one.) Through field tests and now with my own experience of seeing new divers using them... they ARE durable. I admit I had wondered w/ that price point. Cons are that the suit cut seems to be somewhat... European. Slim, not very forgiving of different shapes/sizes. They work really well for some people, not at all for others.

I've been asked by people who can't afford the $2500 suit of their dreams right now if this would be a good choice. I say yes -- you can dive the hell out of it now, and if you take good care of it, you can then have a backup (for yourself or others) when you have saved up for the Drysuit of Your Dreams. (For me right now that's the BARE SB stretchable/breathable. Someday... and I'll keep the White's in good shape as a backup. I hate not having a backup suit right now.)

Used suits can be a great deal; but know the suit, preferably know the person selling and find out why they are getting rid of the suit, what condition it's coming to you in... and then assume you're going to have to fix some problems, anyway. Because it would seem to me that MOST people would keep a suit if it was worth diving, to have as a backup. If they're getting rid of it... there's a reason, perhaps.

It boils down to personal preference: I know people who...

- say they've dove wet in the PNW since the dawn of time and that's just how they like it, dammit.
- dove wet at first, then tried a drysuit and will never ever ever go back.
- have never dove wet in the PNW, went straight to drysuit and love it but admit they've not known anything different.
- have/do both based on time of year, details of planned dive (length/depth) and just subscribe to "right tool for the right job" mindset.

As for me, I can't imagine diving wet (except my hands -- I still wear only a 3mil wet glove and rarely if ever have cold hand issues). :) But I am saving up to upgrade my undergarments. Going Fourth Element Arctic!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

Jeff Pack wrote:I'm trying to decide whether to get a wetsuit to get by for awhile, or not waste the money, and just into hock and get a dry suit.

Its been so long since I dived (and there were no dry suits back then) I just dont remember what it was like in a wetsuit in frigid waters.

Is a wetsuit really that bad for our colder waters?
I spent ~$500 on my BARE semi-dry. Two months later, I spent another 1300 on my drysuit. where is my semi-dry? somewhere in a Tupperware bin in my garage. IMHO, If you are going to start diving around here again, you're best to skip the wetsuit step and just dive right into dry.
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

My summer diving is 100% wet 7 mil, I don't mind it in winter except for freezing my a__ off post dive changing into dry cloths. Other than that I prefer wet but then again I'm kind of a nut....
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....