Tank Storage.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Tank Storage.

Post by Jeff Pack »

What are the do's and don'ts of tank storage.

thx!
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Tank Storage.

Post by Grateful Diver »

Store it with gas in it ... preferably full so you can use it at a moment's notice.

Don't store it empty. Don't get water in the valve (it'll end up inside the tank next time it gets filled).

That's about it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

what about environmental? (temperature, gas or oil fumes, etc)?

I can store in my temperature controlled machine shop, but they'll be exposed to some gas fumes, and oil fumes.

Maybe best just in the house somewhere?

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jeff Pack wrote:what about environmental? (temperature, gas or oil fumes, etc)?

I can store in my temperature controlled machine shop, but they'll be exposed to some gas fumes, and oil fumes.

Maybe best just in the house somewhere?
i wouldn't want my tank valves exposed to too many oil fumes. i'm certainly no scientist, but i would think oil settling in the valve might be problematic.

aside from that, tanks are pretty robust, so don't worry too much about where to keep them. i keep mine in my uninsulated, dusty garage. sometimes in my truck's canopied bed for a week+ at a time.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I've got an outside shed, but we keep the generator and rototiller in there as well. But I do have an inside place to store them, I'll just use that.

H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Like others said.. store it full.. You could put a towel or a sock over the valve.. Or a ziplock bag.. And then sum typeof tape. .
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

keep them away from heat source's like your furnace, water heaters etc... we had an incident where a tank blew up on a gal after her aluminum tank had sat next to her freezer for about 10 years, IIRC they attributed it to being exposed to the heat of the freezer causing the closest side to fail.
I'd say sure store them full for when you need them but if your going to store them for an extended period of time you should keep less than a 1000 psi in it (any psi should suffice, the idea is to not keep them under a full load for long periods of time) that lowers the stress the metals exposed to.
I'd say too that storing them standing is better then on it's side (especially for long periods.... highly debatable....) that way if there is any moisture in it it will not be damaging the thinner sidewalls. The bottom of the tank is one of it's two thickest points.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Fill tanks, go diving, Fill tanks, repeat. Why are you storing tanks?
Waynne Fowler wrote:keep them away from heat source's like your furnace, water heaters etc... we had an incident where a tank blew up on a gal after her aluminum tank had sat next to her freezer for about 10 years.
This is a terrible tragedy. No tank should sit unused for 10 years.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I would definitely keep them away from sources of gasoline fumes or any other source of hydrocarbons, as any contaminants settling on the valves is likely to accumulate over time inside the tank when it gets filled. Also, it wouldn't be very safe if you're getting your tanks filled with nitrox using a partial pressure blending method (i.e. adding oxygen, then topping with air).

I store my scuba gear ... including tanks ... in my garage. But my car stays in the driveway, and any gasoline or gas-powered tools are stored in an outside shed ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I think the only thing I would add to what has been said already is DO NOT store them at your local dive shop like it was your personal free locker. With that being said I have to get mine today :stir:
Jeff Castor
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

pogiguy05 wrote:I think the only thing I would add to what has been said already is DO NOT store them at your local dive shop like it was your personal free locker. With that being said I have to get mine today :stir:
Still diving? :eek:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

cardiver wrote:
pogiguy05 wrote:I think the only thing I would add to what has been said already is DO NOT store them at your local dive shop like it was your personal free locker. With that being said I have to get mine today :stir:
Still diving? :eek:
:rofl: Well ERRR UH not recently. If you have not seen I am a new daddy to a little puppy so potty training and she is already got a cold/virus only after 2 days with us. :boxer:
Jeff Castor
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

there also seems some dispute on length of time to leave fully charged (air quality, versus corrosion).

Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jeff Pack wrote:there also seems some dispute on length of time to leave fully charged (air quality, versus corrosion).
If you need to get it vip'ed again without filling it in between, I'd dump the air. Otherwise, I'd just dive it. How long are you planning to leave these sitting around?

**I should caveat that with the fact that I'm pretty careful about where I get my fills, so I'm pretty sure there's no water in my tanks.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:there also seems some dispute on length of time to leave fully charged (air quality, versus corrosion).
Don't get fills at places at sloppy fill stations. Always blast a little gas out of the tank to make sure there no water in the valve when you drop them off.

Most recommend to leave them full or near empty (<200psi). This way if you have a fire the pressure will rise high enough to pop the burst disk or they won't pose much of an explosion hazard if they were in a fire and rupture with trivial pressure in there. With e.g. 1000psi the burst disk won't go before the tank metal fails in a fire and a melting tank now with 1300psi in it might as well be a bomb. Honestly I don't follow this latter recommendation, I have tanks in all sorts of full, semi-filled, and empty states.

Air does not go bad with time (nor does nitrox or trimix seperate once mixed).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Supposedly in a steel tank, the FO2 can drop due to oxidation of iron. I'm not sure how true this is, how long and to what level the oxygen can drop but I'd thow an analyzer on there before diving, just to be safe and for curiosity! But seriously... if I was going to "store" a tank long enough to worry about it... why not just sell it?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

diverden wrote:Supposedly in a steel tank, the FO2 can drop due to oxidation of iron. I'm not sure how true this is, how long and to what level the oxygen can drop but I'd thow an analyzer on there before diving, just to be safe and for curiosity! But seriously... if I was going to "store" a tank long enough to worry about it... why not just sell it?
Yes there's a "famous" Rhode Island university study proving this. What people forget is that the tanks were 1/2 full of salt water and stored for a year or something in the tropics. Its takes ALOT of oxidation to lower the O2 content to dangerous levels. So much corrosion that the filter on your reg will probably clog up with iron particles and cut off your gas supply before you asphxyiate from the lowered O2.

You should be analyzing your gas before use regardless of this corrosion/O2 concern anyway...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

probably a forbidden question, but where are the places locally to NOT get a fill?

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:probably a forbidden question, but where are the places locally to NOT get a fill?
This kind of issue has come up in the past. People can and probably are being sued for making derogatory statements about businesses on the internets. One prominent case was played out on this board just a few months ago. You would have better luck getting an answer by PM. I have my own compressor and don't buy gas commercially.

One thing you can ask for is a copy of their air analysis history. If they give you a blank stare or get defensive walk out as this paperwork is something a good shop is proud of.
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

Jeff Pack wrote:probably a forbidden question, but where are the places locally to NOT get a fill?

Ummmm, don't get fills ANYWHERE except where I get mine :angelblue:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Ok, so let me ask the question differently, who are the best in the South Sound Area.