Whats a good fill?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Whats a good fill?

Post by Jeff Pack »

With my plus rated tanks, (lp95's) lately at my favorite LDS, I seem to getting about 2400psi after a fill.

When I had tanks filled up in Seattle, they came back at 2600.

So what should I expect a tank to come back at? Cuz 200 psi on an LP tank is about 2 cu ft of air.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Whats a good fill?

Post by mz53480 »

Jeff Pack wrote:With my plus rated tanks, (lp95's) lately at my favorite LDS, I seem to getting about 2400psi after a fill.
When I had tanks filled up in Seattle, they came back at 2600.
So what should I expect a tank to come back at? Cuz 200 psi on an LP tank is about 2 cu ft of air.
I would think ~2600 would be appropriate. Do they know your expectations and that the tanks are + rated?
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

A good fill is one that has you looking at the pressure gauge, doing a double take, and then tip toeing to your car and laying the tanks in your trunk as if they were full of TNT :blackblink: :evil4:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

My definition of a good fill is when you get in the water you're at the rated pressure. Of course this would mean that at room temperature they are probably over-filled by around 200-400 psi. That would require over-filling by roughly 400-600 psi. It really depends if the shop tops off after the tanks cool or going a bit over. So, it depends on the shop and who is filling and how they feel about a bit of an over-fill. I was kind of sick of worrying about it so just kept getting bigger tanks and eventually going to doubles.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, the saying in cave country is that your dive is over when your tanks are full . . .

But in reality, if my tanks are + rated, I'd expect a 2640 fill at room temperature. If you are gauging them at home in a garage or back yard, you've lost a couple hundred psi from temperature drop, this time of year.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

My take is if you get to the dive site with less than the rated pressure in your tank you just got took. This is especially true with LP tanks since they require less PSI's then standard tanks and less wear on fill equipment. The ratings on tanks are ultra conservative and marked as such to cover everyone involved in filling and servicing them as well as the end user. There are lots of bull stories used by fill station people to excuse sloppy work but they are just that. BULL. All tanks have a very generous safety margin built in by law so there is no excuse for a short fill.

Some shops will go out of there way to insure you get what you expect. Those are the shops I will return to time after time. Some shops are ultra conservative and won't see my tanks more than once or get any other business from me. Fills are not a money maker and as such tend to be low priority in most shops and relegated to the "new guy" while the boss sells gear. Most shops don't seem to grasp the fact that people tend to hang out at shops that supply good air and good fills. I put in allot time and money getting to a dive site and if my tanks are under filled when I set up then the overall cost per minute of dive time just went up dramatically and I am not a happy guy. You know I not only will not go back to that shop but I will assure that I never send a buddy that way either.

In cave country it is SOP to overfill LP tanks because peoples lives depend on it. In open water diving people are much more forgiving because they have more room in their planning and ways to exit if tanks aren't topped off.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

LP tanks were always a challenge at my old shop because they'd come in very low, and the steel tanks seemed to heat up faster than the AL. I always thought this seemed strange (wouldn't steel, as a better conductor than AL, be better at conducting the heat away? Maybe it holds the heat better?) I usually had to fill LP steels twice, and HPs sometimes three times. If you have a plus rating and you're in a new place, point it out. If the "new guy" is filling it s/he might not know yet. Also, if you are at a shop you aren't yet familiar with check your tank before you leave. If they have a problem with you checking, or won't top it off if it is low, then find another shop.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

3800 psi fills in Al80s kind of freak me out a bit.

overfilled LP72s also would freak me out.

anything over 3800 psi is also a bit worrisome.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

+1 on the 3800 psi al80's :eek:

I won't go above 3200 on aluminum tanks.

3800 on HP steel is prefect for me. In the winter especially. ;)

In cave country overfilled LP72 doubles is the norm!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

lamont wrote:3800 psi fills in Al80s kind of freak me out a bit.

overfilled LP72s also would freak me out.

anything over 3800 psi is also a bit worrisome.
:nutty:

Wow! :eek: And I thought a LP tank to 3000 psi was good!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

eliseaboo wrote: I always thought this seemed strange (wouldn't steel, as a better conductor than AL, be better at conducting the heat away? Maybe it holds the heat better?) I usually had to fill LP steels twice, and HPs sometimes three times. If you have a plus rating and you're in a new place, point it out.
Aluminum is a far better thermal conductor than Steel, 120-180W/(m*K) vs 12-45W/(m*K).

For me an Aluminum fills of +/-100psi is fine, for my steels I'm pretty happy when it's at rated pressure when I hit the dive site. Of course I'm usually hitting the surface with plenty of gas, so I don't sweat it too much. I always gauge my tanks at the shop. If it's a little light and I need all the gas for the planned dive I just ask them to top it off. No one has ever complained.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I just checked my last fills, and 2 of the 3 were 2560 at room temp.(68)

So to really check these, you need to check at room temp?

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, IIRC, the rules say that tanks are to be filled to the rated pressure at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. So if you check your pressure in a 50 degree garage, it's always going to be below the rated pressure, if the shop is following the rules.

Just to correct one thing: Cave country dive shops don't overfill tanks because people's lives depend on it. A cave diver plans the amount of penetration into the cave that he can safely do on the gas that he has. Cave country shops overfill tanks because cave divers want to do longer dives than they can do on tanks filled to the rated pressure. In MX, where aluminum tanks are the rule, tanks are not overfilled.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jeff Pack wrote:I just checked my last fills, and 2 of the 3 were 2560 at room temp.(68)

I believe you are over-thinking this one. If 80psi is going to make or break your dive, consider a bigger tank.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Jeff Pack wrote:I just checked my last fills, and 2 of the 3 were 2560 at room temp.(68)
Also keep in mind that there often is a 100-200 psi discrepancy between gauges. Close enough is usually good enough.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

spatman wrote:
Also keep in mind that there often is a 100-200 psi discrepancy between gauges. Close enough is usually good enough.
TWSS
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

cardiver wrote:
spatman wrote:
TWSS
you need to start dating women with higher standards, ron. :smt064
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Its pretty easy to get "rated pressure at room temp" in a LP tank. The problem I suspect is lowly shop employees who don't actually know how hot the gas is relative to the rate of fill and the resulting pressure drop. At some shops I know they are filling fast enough that they need to fill that lp tank to 3100 so that it'll cool to 2640. Vs. If they filled much much slower they'd only need to hit 2800 to cool to 2640. There are common misunderstandings about how much or even if you can fill a tank beyond rated pressure (legally). The answer is yes you can as long as its at rated pressure when the gas inside is at 70F.

Don't get distracted by the discussions about "cave fills" and whether you should or can expect your shop to deliver more than 2640 at 70F (you can't).

I would just mention to your shop that your tanks are cooling to quite a bit less than their current + rated pressure and to please fill them slower or overfill them more to compensate for that drop in pressure upon cooling better.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Nwbrewer wrote:

I believe you are over-thinking this one. If 80psi is going to make or break your dive, consider a bigger tank.
Like you started the thread with, ±2 cubic feet (roughly 2%) shouldn't really alter your dive planning. HOWEVER, if you pay $10-12 for a cylinder of air it can be frustrating if you're consistently short. If you want a "good fill" tell them what you want. Also, you can browse the store or have some dive shop chit-chat while your tank cools and you can ask them to top it off, and/or check the pressure before you leave.
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

I have found that if the fills are low and you ask the shop to top them off that most shops will do this. I showed up at a dive site once with my tanks 2/3 full, the shop had mistaken my tanks for LP. I now check the tanks pressure and o2 before I leave the shop. Most times my tanks are full or slightly over, but if they are within 200 psi I don't sweat it.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Thx guys, I just wanted to know how to accurately check, so it appears, check at room temp.

If I'm at 2600(plus or minus a few) don't sweat it.

But I will let them know my expectations next time.

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

My first rule is always leave your tanks over night, chances are if they are rushed you won't get a good fill and it's always better to check O2 after the mix has had time to settle, second show up at the shop with your own pressure gauge and O2 analyzer. This usually is enough to get the message across that you expect good fills and that you are serious about what you breath and pay for without allot of need for conversation or bull.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Put this on your Christmas list.
I showed up to an important dive with an empty bottle once. I never pick up bottles without this in hand now.

"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

airsix wrote:Put this on your Christmas list.
I showed up to an important dive with an empty bottle once. I never pick up bottles without this in hand now.

+1 never empty but way to low to complete the dive as planed.
kagey747
Avid Diver

Post by kagey747 »

A good fill is the one you are happy with. I have yet to feel cheated because I tell the shop what I expect and always check the tank with MY gauge before paying... any discrepancies are corrected before I leave. I have never had a fill station not want to give me what I ask for, as long as I let them know when I drop it off (of course, I've never asked for 3800psi in an AL80), although I have found short fills a couple of times, they were fixed on the spot.