Taking it out for the first time today.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Taking it out for the first time today.

Post by CaptnJack »

2loud4u wrote:Thats a good idea. While I don't mind the dozens of dives part :). I would rather do the dozens of dives with it correctly weighted.
:)
As mentioned try to avoid a boat ramp with alot of freshwater on the surface.

You might need to dry the tube with a towel in between dunkings to get the duct tape to stick. I did our scooters at Shilshole ramp and then the ramp just east of the Ballard bridge.

Water access points near you here:
http://maptest.iac.wa.gov/presentation/ ... uExpanded=
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

loanwolf wrote:
Anyone have a good palace other than the west side of the Island for shore? locations with no rivers and town drainage nearby???
Its not like its been massively flooding lately (0.1" rain in 3 Nov/Dec weeks?!?)
Edmonds or Mukilteo would be good enough for the salt water. Any old lake for fresh would do.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

I went diving in Lake Washington yesterday with Bdub and Trevor, and spent some time prior to the dive messing with the weights. I was amazed at how much weight I dropped to get it balanced in fresh water (keeping in mind I was still overwighted for salt). While it is not yet perfect, or even close enough for me to be happy enough to leave it alone, I have it much closer than previous dives, and noticed a HUGE change even while on the trigger.

Many thanks to everyone who chimed in with some advice. It helped a lot.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

2loud4u wrote:Even though I swore up and down I would never ever do it... I finally broke down and bought me a scooter. I am taking it out today to Muk with H2o doc so I can break it in (not break it) and get the weighting dialed in, etc.

Anybody have ideas for weight differences for salt and fresh water?
It was good to meet you. Glad to hear you're enjoying it.

Sorry, just updated the webpage with some numbers:

Cuda 400 freshwater - 15oz nose, 6oz tail
Cuda 400 saltwater - 22oz nose, 15oz tail

As has been mentioned, the saltwater number can fluctuate. These at least get you in the ball park.
Purveyor of crack ;)
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Thanks! I looked earlier and there were no current numbers for the 400.
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Raydar wrote:..
Cuda 400 freshwater - 15oz nose, 6oz tail
Cuda 400 saltwater - 22oz nose, 15oz tail

As has been mentioned, the saltwater number can fluctuate. These at least get you in the ball park.
Thanks Ray!!

These are my current actual numbers on my Cuda 400 for local lakes and Puget Sound... (damn close to Ray's)

Tail Fresh = 7.5oz (213g)
Nose Fresh = 15oz (425g)

Tail Salt = 15.25oz (423g)
Nose Salt = 20.25oz (574g)

you will probably see biggest differences in nose.. just because of difference in battery construction.. i.e. extra solder, different battery manufacturers, materials, etc..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White