I couldn't stand it...

General banter about diving and why we love it.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

I couldn't stand it...

Post by John Rawlings »

As many of you know, I had hip replacement surgery a month ago. My hip was really bad - crumbling in places - and the surgeon said that it was one of the worst he had ever seen. Hence, recovery has been rather challenging....leave it at that. Being house-bound has been driving me slowing insane, and I couldn't stand it anymore. So....yesterday Ginny loaded me up in the back of her CRV (I can't sit in the front seat without breaking my hip protocols) like a sack of potatoes along with my walker and we set off to Mukilteo Beach with Madi, our Granddaughter.

The sun was peeking out and the smell of that salt air was like a tonic to me! There were several divers gearing up, and one of them was my old friend and dive buddy, Rhoda Green. I had been SO hoping to see someone that I know, and there she was! It felt great to be outside at the beach and to chat with divers as they were coming out of the water! We hit both the the Silver Cloud site and Lighthouse Park, and I walked around on my walker until I was tired and my knuckles and hands were frozen solid.

It didn't last long, but MAN I needed that! It kicked my ass, though....

Can't wait until I'm healed enough to join you guys in the water!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: I couldn't stand it...

Post by fmerkel »

Yes! Yesterday was a grand day. Big step taking that first foray outside. Glad it worked for you and you aren't paying a price worse than sore.
Hope the coming year is better to you.

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Good deal John, Sorry to hear that things have been going so slow. I know it must be agonizing for an addict like you (and the rest of us) to be away from the water so long. Only avid divers can really understand what it's like to not be near or in the water. I have made a couple of trips to Redondo in the last couple of weeks to deliver lights and didn't dive and each time I felt that strong longing to be "out there" It was at once invigorating to be there and talking to other "normal people" IE: other divers but at the same time it is hard to be there and not be diving.

It has to be especially hard when you have to have someone else drive you there and get you home. Bravo for Ginny for understanding. Of course it was probably self preservation on her part. :smt064:
I'm sure she too is feeling the insanity coming on having a house bound diver around all day! :stir:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Glad you got some salt air in your nostrils and some time outside!

Hang in there... This will soon all be in the rearview mirror!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Yeah, recovery is a lot more difficult than the docs lead you to expect. Glad you are finding ways to cope. If your SO is like mine it is the very definition of love.

Hang in there. There really isn't any other choice.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Glad you got out a bit, John! I know from experience how important just a change of scenery can be.

It seems like forever, but it really won't be long in the scheme of things before you are back in the water. And just think about how much more pleasant it will be to carry dive gear without pain!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

John, I am glad you had an outing, but I am disappointed I didn't see you at the T-dock. I have been looking forward to meeting you for some time. I arrived at 0830, entered the water at 0900, swam to the fuel pier, and got back to the beach by the Silver Cloud about 1030. It took another half hour to get my stuff off and head to the ferry landing to lighten the liquid load. Next time. I should be easy to spot. I have white hair and nine fingers. At least five of my dive buddies are bionic divers with artificial hips. Hang in there.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

oldsalt wrote:I have white hair and nine fingers. At least five of my dive buddies are bionic divers with artificial hips. Hang in there.
-Curt
I don't know quite why this seemed so funny to me, but it did. Oh, and John can only count to six on a good day. More than 6 is "many".
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Hey John!! VERY good to hear your strength is returning!

let us know when you are ready to get in the water, I'd be up for the occasion if you wouldnt mind some bubbles on your dive :)

Hang in there buddy!!! one of these days you'll be back in the saddle!

:partyman:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Gill Envy
Dive-aholic

Post by Gill Envy »

Happy New Year John! Glad to hear you were able to get out... here's to a speedy recovery!!!
Gill Envy

...because we weren't born with gills!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

John!
Good way to do some Physical Therapy! Before you know it, I'll get you diving Sunrise, as a shore dive with me!
Glad to see your getting out and about these days. May 2012 promise to be a year of "New Beginnings" for you.
When your ready,I'll gladly help you get fins on your feet, so you can get back in the water. I'll even carry your rebreather, if it's somewhere like, "The Muk!"
Keep up the good work, John!
:highfive:
Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Just curious; what kind of PT do they have you doing? At their office, or at home?
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Glad to hear that you're out and about; that salty fresh air heals many wounds!
We hear that water therapy is wonderful - maybe we can set you up with a snorkel for now.
Baby steps my friend, but steps none the less!
It won't be long and the mods will have to give you a new smiley without the cane! I'm thinking the funky dancing robot one!!

Looking forward to diving with you soon.
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I'm sorry that I missed meeting you, OldSalt! Hopefully next time!

Since I couldn't easily travel by car without breaking my hip protocols, throughout December PT therapists came to our home and worked with me each week. Now, I have a list of PT exercises that I do at home.

Thanks for the support, folks! I'll be back!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

I feel your pain! I recently had surgery as well and am about a month from being able to splash again.. What am I supposed to do with myself in the meantime??? Hang in there and I hope you have a speedy recovery!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

John

I assumed you weren't on a cane. Are you? Or, not?

I'm headed out on a trip where I might be able to dive. The doc has released me to do anything my body will allow. I wonder; is there a way to put a fin on my cane so I can have underwater assistance? When I put on my gear I just add the cane to the ritual. :dontknow:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

ArcticDiver wrote:John

On this particular jaunt to Mukilteo I was still on a walker, but I am now walking with a cane - I walked about a mile today since the weather was so nice....

ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

John Rawlings wrote:

On this particular jaunt to Mukilteo I was still on a walker, but I am now walking with a cane - I walked about a mile today since the weather was so nice....
I chose to never go on a walker because I had stairs to cope with. Crutches made stairs much easier. I went from two crutches to one and now a single point cane. Guess that is one of the differences between hip and spine surgery.

It does my heart good and raises my morale to hear of other folks success dealing with their challenges.
Last edited by ArcticDiver on Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Good news, :supz:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

John Rawlings wrote:

Really glad to hear it John!

I half expected / half hoped to see you at Redondo yesterday...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman