??Pacific Northwest Diving Documentries??

General banter about diving and why we love it.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

??Pacific Northwest Diving Documentries??

Post by scubnewb »

Are there any good documentries out there focusing on divers and diving in the PNW and or filmed in the Pacific Northwest that anyone knows about?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: ??Pacific Northwest Diving Documentries??

Post by scottsax »

DCS films did a great documentary on the Warren car that I'd highly recommend.

Actually, you can't really go wrong with anything on their website.

http://dcsfilms.com/Site_4/DCS_Website.html
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

stillhope is a member of this forum:

http://stillhopeproductions.com/SHPI/Recent.html
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

This guy lives on Whidbey, and did a pretty good documentary on local sea life:

http://www.sealife-productions.com/sea/ ... SH-SEA-DVD

Other than that, there's not too many full-length documentaries on Puget Sound stuff, which is really unfortunate.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

So none of the stuff that i am finding is really what I am looking in to. In the past year I have realized that diving in the PNW is very different then diving anywhere else in the world. I talk to my brother who lives in Miami and has dove many tropical sites around the world and he agrees from what I have been telling him that diving here at home is a very different experience and all around different breed in itself of divers. Everything from the amount of gear we have to lug out to the different gear we we each chose to dive and why are all very interesteing to my brother and I would imagine other divers around the world... I was hoping to find something that focused on our region and the divers themselves but havent been able to. I got a buddy in film school whos focus is in documentries and he was talking to me about starting a project focusing on some of these things that he would be working on over the next 12-18 months... Any thoughts or ideas?

:popcorn:

fnerg wrote:This guy lives on Whidbey, and did a pretty good documentary on local sea life:

Other than that, there's not too many full-length documentaries on Puget Sound stuff, which is really unfortunate.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

scubnewb wrote:So none of the stuff that i am finding is really what I am looking in to. In the past year I have realized that diving in the PNW is very different then diving anywhere else in the world. I talk to my brother who lives in Miami and has dove many tropical sites around the world and he agrees from what I have been telling him that diving here at home is a very different experience and all around different breed in itself of divers. Everything from the amount of gear we have to lug out to the different gear we we each chose to dive and why are all very interesteing to my brother and I would imagine other divers around the world... I was hoping to find something that focused on our region and the divers themselves but havent been able to. I got a buddy in film school whos focus is in documentries and he was talking to me about starting a project focusing on some of these things that he would be working on over the next 12-18 months... Any thoughts or ideas?

fnerg wrote:This guy lives on Whidbey, and did a pretty good documentary on local sea life:

I think I understand what you're talking about, and, no, there really *aren't* any documentaries about what we do here, specifically. Maybe you and your friend should make one!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Lol I know nothing about videography... But its definitly something he would be into doing and is talking about doing...
Joshua Smith wrote:
scubnewb wrote:So none of the stuff that i am finding is really what I am looking in to. In the past year I have realized that diving in the PNW is very different then diving anywhere else in the world. I talk to my brother who lives in Miami and has dove many tropical sites around the world and he agrees from what I have been telling him that diving here at home is a very different experience and all around different breed in itself of divers. Everything from the amount of gear we have to lug out to the different gear we we each chose to dive and why are all very interesteing to my brother and I would imagine other divers around the world... I was hoping to find something that focused on our region and the divers themselves but havent been able to. I got a buddy in film school whos focus is in documentries and he was talking to me about starting a project focusing on some of these things that he would be working on over the next 12-18 months... Any thoughts or ideas?

I think I understand what you're talking about, and, no, there really *aren't* any documentaries about what we do here, specifically. Maybe you and your friend should make one!
-Confucius
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

+1

I love that site. Some of the coolest vids and best sources of info about wrecks/attractions in our state
scottsax wrote:DCS films did a great documentary on the Warren car that I'd highly recommend.

Actually, you can't really go wrong with anything on their website.

http://dcsfilms.com/Site_4/DCS_Website.html
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I think it would be a very great idea to do a documentary like that and you could include the many different type of divers that we have here. There is of course the hard core DIR diver :pirate: , there is the scooter crackheads :supz: , there is the photog types :nutty: , and the list goes on. We have a unique type of diver and have all kind of dive sites that are easily accessable year round. You could also include the summer (July) Dive Around the Clock fundraiser for Children Hospital which is an event all itself. Just be wary of the shady characters that are divers :smt064
Jeff Castor
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yeah when he got home last night I told him that there wasnt anything that has really been done in that area and he immediatly got excited lol... He wants me to start looking into topics people would like to see covered so I think i am going to intiate a post asking people for a brinstorm of things he might want to cover.

pogiguy05 wrote:I think it would be a very great idea to do a documentary like that and you could include the many different type of divers that we have here. There is of course the hard core DIR diver :pirate: , there is the scooter crackheads :supz: , there is the photog types :nutty: , and the list goes on. We have a unique type of diver and have all kind of dive sites that are easily accessable year round. You could also include the summer (July) Dive Around the Clock fundraiser for Children Hospital which is an event all itself. Just be wary of the shady characters that are divers :smt064
-Confucius