Contact lenses and diving

General banter about diving and why we love it.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I've been wearing glasses all my life, but never really tried contacts. (I did once, about 20 years ago for a couple of weeks and hated the hard lenses.) My prescription mask is finally starting to wear out, and instead of getting a new one, I'm considering contacts.

I was wondering how many of you use contacts with a regular non-prescription mask, and of those of you that do, who (if anyone) have astigmatisms in one or both eyes? Mine are pretty bad, and someone told me that wearing contacts that compensate for astigmatism are a PITA, and may be problematic if the lens rotates out of alignment.

Any thoughts on this, if true?

*Disclaimer - I don't know squat about contacts or if the above statement is correct. I have an eye doc appt in a couple months, but I thought I'd just throw this out there in case any of y'all have some experience.

Thanks.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Been diving in my contacts for 18 years without a problem......
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Contact lenses and diving

Post by Joshua Smith »

spatman wrote:I've been wearing glasses all my life, but never really tried contacts. (I did once, about 20 years ago for a couple of weeks and hated the hard lenses.) My prescription mask is finally starting to wear out, and instead of getting a new one, I'm considering contacts.

I was wondering how many of you use contacts with a regular non-prescription mask, and of those of you that do, who (if anyone) have astigmatisms in one or both eyes? Mine are pretty bad, and someone told me that wearing contacts that compensate for astigmatism are a PITA, and may be problematic if the lens rotates out of alignment.

*Disclaimer - I don't know squat about contacts or if the above statement is correct. I have an eye doc appt in a couple months, but I thought I'd just throw this out there in case any of y'all have some experience.

Thanks.

I've been wearing contacts since I started diving. I use the daily disposables, which are way better than the hard lens types I used back in the late 80s. You never have to disinfect them, and if you lose one, you can just pop a fresh one in. I have never lost one while actually diving, btw. I have no idea if you're a candidate, but if your optometrist says you are, they should be able to give you a fistfull of samples to try out.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Contacts here too, and I have slight astigmatism, but my contacts don't compensate. Your eye doctor will give you a trial pair (or pairs) of contacts to see how you do with them, so perhaps you could take them diving to see? (ha, pun not intended). If they crap out we'll lead you back to shore. Eventually.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Im blind as a bat -5.0 in my right eye and -5.25 in my left and I mostly wear my glasses but I always wear my contacts when I dive, snowboard, hike or do any other physical sport. While I am still a rookie at diving i couldnt imagine diving with anything besides my contacts. They tried to sell me prescription a facemask but when I realized that you cant have a single lens mask it was a hell no I dont want a prescription mask, plus who wants to deal with having to get a new prescription mask when you wear out or lose your mask.

I wear soft disposables that yo throw away every couple weeks, they are really soft and easy to use and keep clean. I havent had a single issue with them if my mask floods or anything. I would definitly reccomend going with some lenses and as one other poster sid, hit your doc up for a bunch of samples to find one that is a good fit and has the right moisture content for you. It took me a few tries to find out the right ones for me. And what ever you do, always keep a few spare unopened pairs
in your dive gear, as you never know when you might forget your regular contacts and it really sucks when you have to drive all the way back home or cancel a dive all together because you forgot them lol... I usually keep a spare pair in my glove box as well...

Good luck hope that helped.
spatman wrote:I've been wearing glasses all my life, but never really tried contacts. (I did once, about 20 years ago for a couple of weeks and hated the hard lenses.) My prescription mask is finally starting to wear out, and instead of getting a new one, I'm considering contacts.

Thanks.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Three words, Laser Eye Surgery. I used to wear glasses (20/200 with astigmatism) but now I don't wear anything but sunglasses and mask while diving =D .

Eventually the surgery pays for itself, and I have had no complications(I had PRK done)

(Sorry for going off track)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Thanks.
I use soft lenses, and have never had any issues at all. It's nice to be able to take you mask off at the surface and still see. I have astigmatism in both eyes, but it's not that bad, so I just use standard lenses and deal with the slight vision deficit (I'm like 20/30 with the contacts in). I've opened my eyes underwater a few times with no mask, (thanks Bdub) and never lost a lens.

I've had 3 eye docs since I started wearing contacts, all of them told me to make sure and use 1 day disposables, and to dispose of them after watersports. Apparently contacts look like wonderful breeding grounds to goobers that live in the water.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Yes I agree with this as well, just waiting for my doctor to say my eyes have slowed or stopped deteriorating.... Cant wait!
Dashrynn wrote:Three words, Laser Eye Surgery. I used to wear glasses (20/200 with astigmatism) but now I don't wear anything but sunglasses and mask while diving =D .

Eventually the surgery pays for itself, and I have had no complications(I had PRK done)

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dashrynn wrote:Three words, Laser Eye Surgery.
Three words:
Oh. Hell. No.

:)

Thanks for the replies so far. I'll definitely try to get some samples from my eye doc.

It will be great if it works out for me. Getting a prescription mask is a bit if a crapshoot regarding fit, since I can't really try it out much before getting lenses put in.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Daily disposable contact lens are the way to go. I have never had a problem with them during 20 years of diving. I keep a few extras in my save a dive kit for good measure. The dailies solve a lot of problems. No sanitary issues, and if you even have a hint of a problem or discomfort you don't feel bad about tossing them.
Dave
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Nwbrewer wrote:I have astigmatism in both eyes, but it's not that bad, so I just use standard lenses and deal with the slight vision deficit (I'm like 20/30 with the contacts in).
I'd be ok with less than perfect vision if it meant I didn't have to be concerned with the exact orientation of the lenses.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

scubnewb wrote:Im blind as a bat -5.0 in my right eye and -5.25 in my left and I mostly wear my glasses but I always wear my contacts when I dive, snowboard, hike or do any other physical sport. While I am still a rookie at diving i couldnt imagine diving with anything besides my contacts. They tried to sell me prescription a facemask but when I realized that you cant have a single lens mask it was a hell no I dont want a prescription mask, plus who wants to deal with having to get a new prescription mask when you wear out or lose your mask.

I wear soft disposables that yo throw away every couple weeks, they are really soft and easy to use and keep clean. I havent had a single issue with them if my mask floods or anything. I would definitly reccomend going with some lenses and as one other poster sid, hit your doc up for a bunch of samples to find one that is a good fit and has the right moisture content for you. It took me a few tries to find out the right ones for me. And what ever you do, always keep a few spare unopened pairs
in your dive gear, as you never know when you might forget your regular contacts and it really sucks when you have to drive all the way back home or cancel a dive all together because you forgot them lol... I usually keep a spare pair in my glove box as well...

Good luck hope that helped.

Thanks.
You don't need a new mask, you just get new inserts when your prescription changes.....
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

The mask itself is wearing out. And it was never a great fit to start.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

spatman wrote:The mask itself is wearing out. And it was never a great fit to start.
I was responding to Scubanewb, Matt.....
The only time my contacts bother me while diving is when my hay fever is really bad. It's hard to rub your eyes with a mask on......
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

1. I wore hard lenses for 20 years until I started diving. My eye doctor was a diver and recommended 2 week disposables. I have an astigmatism, and the soft lenses I have now mostly correct it, but it's not quite as sharp as my old hard lenses. I don't care, I'm never going back to the literal "plank in mine own eye."

2. Oh. My. GOD! Your avatar is awesome!
spatman wrote:Three words:
Oh. Hell. No.
No one's cutting on my eye with anything unless the alternative is permanent, irreversible blindness.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Dashrynn wrote:Three words, Laser Eye Surgery. I used to wear glasses (20/200 with astigmatism) but now I don't wear anything but sunglasses and mask while diving =D .

The problem with lasik is the "potential" for side effects.

Haloing, and dry eye being the worst.

As a option, look into orthokeratology. same effect as lasik, but no surgery. If you have issues, you stop wearing the corrective overnight lenses, and your visions returns to normal.

I stuck with contacts in my diving, but may someday go for the Ortho...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
funkydiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by funkydiver »

Thanks.
I just started wearing soft lenses, er, 3 weeks ago and did my first dive with them on Saturday. I too have an astigmatism in both eyes and, thus far, I've found contacts to be pretty comfy. No problmes diving with them and I do have to say it was really nice to be able to see clearly above water and below... I'd say go for it.

funkydiver
Growing old is mandatory... Growing up is optional
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Jeff Pack wrote:

As a option, look into orthokeratology. same effect as lasik, but no surgery. If you have issues, you stop wearing the corrective overnight lenses, and your visions returns to normal.

I guess that's a very rewarding chance I took, that and the other 30+ people I talked to who did it before me. I did notice my night vision has improved since the surgery, a side effect I can't complain about.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I'm nearsighted in my left eye and have a pretty severe astigmatism in my right eye. I'm also at the age where I need bifocals. Here's what I do:

I have contacts set up for what's known as monovision. The contact in my left eye not only corrects for the nearsightedness, it's set to the bifocal prescription for up close stuff. The one in my right eye corrects the astigmatism for distance sight. My ADD brain unscrambles what I'm looking at on the fly and figures out which eye to zero in on. So I can see little stuff as well as distance stuff underwater, and I can still figure out where shore is when I get on the surface.

Bottom line: one huge YES vote for contacts. If the first sample pair the doc gives you don't do exactly what you want, take them back and get a different sample pair, and keep doing that until you get the ones that suit you best. A good eye doctor won't mind, and if you have one that does, get a different eye doctor. But definitely go for the contacts.

Now, if somebody would just make an extended-wear, astigmatism ("toric") bifocal, I'd be in perfect shape...
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Scuba Skaughtie
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Scuba Skaughtie »

+1 on LASIK

I had my eyes zapped (that's how I had to think about it cause I am a wuss when it comes to hospitals) on the 5th of January and by the morning of the 6th I was 20/20. If you are a candidate I totally recommend it. I've been out of the water since the surgery and will be until this weekend. Can't wait to dive without my contacts. I used contacts when I did outdoor activities but my eyes always dried out within a couple hours so it was never that comfortable, even with new contacts. Just a personal quirk. I know plenty of people who have no problems diving with contacts. I would say give it a try. Just my 2 cents.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

I dive with disposable toric lenses and have no issues, even while opening my eyes during critical skills dives ( well I had lots of issues, just not with the lenses). The toric lenses (for astigmatism) are designed so they will automatically rotate into the correct position, so even if they get moved it's no big deal. On a side note it took me about a month to get completely comfortable with inserting and removing the lenses but I'm so glad I did it.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

another vote for the awesomeness of contact lenses! (i am also in the blind as a bat category)

my eyes seem to like contacts (been wearing since dawn of time, eyes feel weird and nekkid without them), i don't think i've ever washed one out diving, swimming around underwater with eyes partially open, etc.. ... but that isn't always the case... i had a dive buddy who was always loosing hers when clearing her mask and my boyfriend seems to have trouble keeping his in in the pool.

So, if you DO take a trip the straits, and you forget to take an extra set of contacts AND your glasses, remember that although it looks pretty funny, if you keep your old prescription mask in the trunk of your car 'just in case', not only will it save your dives for rest of trip but it can also be used to drive home...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
wa_divergal
Frequent Bubbler

Post by wa_divergal »

Jeff Pack wrote:

I wanted those a few years ago, but my eye doc told me my eyes were too old ...... Grumble, grumble, grumble
Any girl can be glamorous. All you have to do is stand still and look stupid.
Hedy Lamarr
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ljjames wrote:another vote for the awesomeness of contact lenses! (i am also in the blind as a bat category)
Me too. Do you have astigmatisms?
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

No issues with contact lenses here! I wear the soft, disposable type and I've been happy with them. Worth giving them a shot.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?