Anybody else jonesing?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Anybody else jonesing?

Post by LCF »

My yard this morning is stunningly beautiful . . . covered in a soft white blanket that makes interesting geometric patterns in the chain link fence, and outlines all the trees in stark contrasts. Sound is muted, and the tracks of animals who have passed during the night make an interesting puzzle. It's a gorgeous winter wonderland . . .

. . . and I'm sick of it. We haven't left the property in two days, and the prior trip was only to the grocery store to make sure we had food for the Snowpocalypse.

I want to go diving! There have got to be other people out there who, like us, have decided that although diving in the snow is not an issue, driving to the dive site in it IS. Shoot, even my husband's OW class pool sessions canceled this week (pools are closed) so I couldn't even get a minimal nitrogen hit from assisting.

So, there have to be other people out there who have decided that, although diving in the snow is not an issue, driving to the dive site in it IS. I swear, if I had the money, I'd have a ticket to Mexico in hand -- but then I'd have to figure out how to get to the airport!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: Anybody else jonesing?

Post by Grateful Diver »

Jonesing for sure ... I could get to the dive site. I could go diving. But I know I'd be coming out of the water soaking wet, and there's just not much incentive to do that. So far I've done three dives this month ... I'm jonesing big-time.

Fortunately, we leave for the Maldives in nine days ... :taco:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I'm with you. We live on such a steep hill that even if the major roads get cleared, the problem is getting out of our neighborhood!
Kelly
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

When i get bored, I fire up one of my tractors, and push snow around.... :)
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Later today, I'll run the off road quad around the estate... 4whl drive quads on snow are fun.

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yes, at some point today, Peter will use the tractor to plow the driveway. I've been trying to amuse myself, wandering around the property making poor attempts at shooting "artsy" snow pictures. But none of that makes up for not DIVING!

(I had two weeks off in the middle of this month, and except for the swimming pool, I haven't drawn a single breath off a regulator :( )
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Hey...this is good diving weather in Wisconsin! If it's warm enough to snow then it's warm enough to dive! And getting to the site is half the adventure!
SeanKylgod
Compulsive Diver

Post by SeanKylgod »

definitely got the nitrogen withdrawal shakes goin on =P If I could get to any local site, I would be in the water right now =/
coach_izzy
Avid Diver

Post by coach_izzy »

Grateful Diver wrote:Jonesing for sure ... I could get to the dive site. I could go diving. But I know I'd be coming out of the water soaking wet, and there's just not much incentive to do that. So far I've done three dives this month ... I'm jonesing big-time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Shoot Bob! That's the amount of dives you'd normally do in one day! Add to that scubaboard being out of commission, It's time to swing kettlebells hard and mighty! Have fun in the Maldives. We'll catch up on your return.
Coach Izzy
Scuba Diving Fitness
"A fit diver is a safer diver and a better buddy"
In Pain?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

LCF wrote:Yes, at some point today, Peter will use the tractor to plow the driveway. I've been trying to amuse myself, wandering around the property making poor attempts at shooting "artsy" snow pictures. But none of that makes up for not DIVING!

(I had two weeks off in the middle of this month, and except for the swimming pool, I haven't drawn a single breath off a regulator :( )
Lynne, want to meet me at cottage lake? :eek:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Same, here, got the surface interval twitch goin on..

maybe getting the truck in low range 4x4 and making use of the open roads and parking might not be that bad :)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

coach_izzy wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Jonesing for sure ... I could get to the dive site. I could go diving. But I know I'd be coming out of the water soaking wet, and there's just not much incentive to do that. So far I've done three dives this month ... I'm jonesing big-time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Shoot Bob! That's the amount of dives you'd normally do in one day! Add to that scubaboard being out of commission, It's time to swing kettlebells hard and mighty! Have fun in the Maldives. We'll catch up on your return.
Scubaboard has been working fine all morning.....
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I guess I am just really lucky taht my house is butted right up against I-5 and the entrance and exit is right outside my window lol... I can pretty much get Alki, Edmonds, Or Muk without to much of a issue as i have no side road trips to worry about lol...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Boss just came by and told us all to go home ... the City has decided to shut down at noon today.

Hmmmm ... what to do with the rest of my day ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Had to cancel a trip up to dive off the Downtime with PAC Adventures today. Majorly bummed. Especially since the roads down here in Portland are not that big of a deal. We just know we'd have too much trouble up north. So, stuck at home. Sigh. Guess I'll clean the house. Woohoo.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

LCF wrote: So, there have to be other people out there who have decided that, although diving in the snow is not an issue, driving to the dive site in it IS. I swear, if I had the money, I'd have a ticket to Mexico in hand -- but then I'd have to figure out how to get to the airport!
Well, sheesh, I really feel bad for all of you - but - my flight for Cozumel leaves in 1 day, 23 hours and 21 minutes!!! :calvin: :joshsmith: :partydance: :supz: :taco: :neener:
Cheers!

Ron
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

For all you guys leaving for the tropics :penelope:
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

You guys are too funny! Seriously a little snow and the world stops? ? :rofl: Sounds like an excuse to go diving or maybe Skiing to me!
Dave Mitchell
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I'm with you. I would love to go for a dive but can't justify endangering others on the road. We had a sunbreak, so I took a walk on the beach in front of my home. It helped.
Snowbeach1.JPG
The dark spot in the trees is an eagle. My next planned dive is Saturday, the Hat Island barges. Tropics are a year away.
But I have a good roof, plenty of food, a fireplace, and NWDiveclub. I've had a lot worse.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I just went freediving in the Jacuzzi.

103d sort of fresh water...:)

Not even deep enough for my Suunto Vyper to turn on... :)

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I'm seriously considering taking a snorkel into my hot tub . . . which tells you how desperate I am, as most folks know I rarely have anything to do with a snorkel!

I couldn't get out of the house now if I wanted to -- apparently we have a very large branch down, blocking our driveway. Moving it will have to wait until a path is clear to get the tractor up from the barn.

Snowed in by 8" of white stuff. Geez.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

My club dive tonight's been officially cancelled, so yes. Jonesing hardcore! I haven't been in the water in a week now.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

I want to go get wet and try out the camera, but I'm too stiff and sore from shoveling our driveway (twice), and the driveways of a couple of older neighbors... Not to mention that "job" thing got in the way. Disadvantage of being a telecommuter on a national team is that when the local office closes for a snow day you still have to work. :angry:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

what are you all talking about? I have 15 dives since the New Year... oh, wait, I am in the other corner of the country. Have fun with that white stuff.

This was earlier in the week.
Guy Harvey Jan 2012.png
Notice, no hood... although I am in a 5 mil Farmer John now :neener:

Chris, MZ, and the Arnolds have all come down... where is everyone else. I'm only here for another 20 months then who knows where.
yodelhawk
Frequent Bubbler

Post by yodelhawk »

When I drove in to work this morning my truck read a balmy -21. Upon my return tonight it had warmed up to a wapping -16. I'm gonna hold off on going diving for a few days