Heads up on facilities at the Coves

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Heads up on facilities at the Coves

Post by LCF »

I talked to Yvonne over the last couple of days. March 3rd will be the last day of business for Alki Crab & Fish. The new owners will be coming in and doing some remodeling and construction, and expect to be open by JUNE. This means there won't be any food or drink in the buildings for that period of time; I don't know, and she didn't, what the status of the restrooms will be. The new owners may bring in one of their trucks, and Yvonne didn't know if they were going to do that. But folks should be prepared for a period of several months of reduced or absent food services at the coves.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
sinky
Just Settling In

Re: Heads up on facilities at the Coves

Post by sinky »

what abt the AED???
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sinky wrote:what abt the AED???
If you need it, try the door then break the window...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

CaptnJack wrote:
sinky wrote:what abt the AED???
If you need it, try the door then break the window...
Charge the victim for the glass if they survive.

D
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I'll send an email to my contact and ask. She said they wanted to keep it available to us.
Kelly
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

If you're hungry, the Bubble Tea place across the street makes killer sandwiches ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Grateful Diver wrote:If you're hungry, the Bubble Tea place across the street makes killer sandwiches ...
unfortunately, also under new management and closed...
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

lamont wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:If you're hungry, the Bubble Tea place across the street makes killer sandwiches ...
unfortunately, also under new management and closed...
Nooooooooo!! ... The eyecandy will be missed. 0[

D
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I've put the folks at Marination in touch with Sounder/Doug, since I understand he was instrumental is having the AED placed there after Jake's death. My contact at Marination, Michelle, has been very responsive thus far, and they want to make sure the AED is placed in a safe--yet reachable--place during and after construction. One of us will post on the board to let everyone know where the AED is when/if it's moved.
Kelly
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Was the fate of the AED ever determined? There is a public meeting about Seacrest facilities next week where the involved parties might be present. It also might be an opportunity to raise other issues of concern to the diving community.

Open House at Seacrest Boathouse TUESDAY, MARCH 27, 2012, 7 – 8:30PM
1660 Harbor Ave SW
Seattle, WA 98126
Event Description:The public is invited to the open house for a question and answer session and to learn about Marination's vision and plan for providing quality food services at Seatcrest. Learn what types of food they will have on their menu, what types of boating recreation and amenities will be provided and what types of remodeling are being proposed.
Department/Organization:Parks and Recreation
Neighborhoods:Alki/Admiral, West Seattle Junction/Genesee Hill
Audience:All
Event Types:Public Outreach and Engagement
Event Contact:Charles Ng
Event Contact Position/Department:Charles Ng
Operations Manager
Event Contact Phone:206-684-8001
Event Contact Email:charles.ng@seattle.gov
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I hear that marination won't be opening until early fall now? September or something was the word on the street...
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Well, I guess if we make the meeting, we'll find out.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

What's the word on the restrooms? Are they still open and taken care of?
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Restrooms are open, had TP, no changes in cleanliness ;)
----
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

the coffee shop across the street has also opened up again under the new management...

http://westseattleblog.com/2012/02/new- ... bbles-spot
mjachetta
Frequent Bubbler

Post by mjachetta »

Where is everyone going for warm food and drink after the dives? That can handle a group of 8!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

http://westseattleblog.com/2012/03/mari ... ore-104698

The new owner at Alki Juice and Java (formerly bubbles) has really good hot chocolate.... (in addition to smoothies, sandwiches and organic fruit/produce - and gatorade in the fridge for those looking for some pre-dive hydration). Her name is Tammy, and she thinks the divers are awesome folks!

http://westseattleblog.com/2012/02/new- ... bbles-spot
----
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I do miss those awesome sandwiches, though!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Trying to look at the bright side here.... :)
----
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

http://westseattleblog.com/2012/04/alki ... pdate-more
Marination proprietors Roz Edison and Kamala Saxton stole the show at last night’s Alki Community Council meeting, with an update on the sudden red-tape snag that pushed back their Seacrest Boathouse project – but that wasn’t the only meaty briefing on the agenda:

MARINATION/SEACREST UPDATE: Edison and Saxton came to the ACC meeting to update the group on the Seacrest situation (taking a break from their celebration of the first anniversary of their first bricks-and-mortar location, which is on Capitol Hill). They noted for those unfamiliar with their business that their food truck has been serving West Seattle for three years – usually selling out of food during its Saturday visits to 35th/Graham.

If you missed our most recent update – after they were chosen as Seacrest’s new restaurant concessionaire in a city Request for Proposals process, after previous concessionaire Alki Crab and Fish moved out, they suddenly were told that the city Department of Planning and Development had to review the project for an additional permit – because it had never been officially designated for restaurant use (despite the fact that’s what had been there for a decade-plus). In our last update, Marination wasn’t very hopeful of being able to open before late summer.

Last night, Edison described the situation as “a little incredible” – but had some good news for their supporters: She said they’ve been told “instead of being a 4-month review process, they’ll make it a 2-month review process,” after fairly high-level intervention involving both departments (Parks and DPD). Some “technicalities are being sorted out,” Edison said, and then they will be able to go The estimate is now “mid- to possibly late summer.” ACC attendees expressed regret. The restaurateurs/food-truck operators agreed: “There’s no one winning … Alki Crab and Fish could have stayed in business till this was resolved. Even DPD land use didn’t win – we would have paid the permit fee that much sooner.”

As previously reported here, Alki Kayak Tours is continuing to operate under a temporary agreement. One attendee asked why AKT can’t just be a direct concessionaire with the city, and Roz said that’s a good question – it seems Parks just prefers to have one concessionaire be a single point of contact. Edison and Saxton say there’s a lot of work to be done but during “this waiting period,” as Kamala put it, their contractors can’t even go in and do work. The Health Department has approved their plans, but everything is just waiting on the shoreline use permit, land use, and construction permits.

Asked if they might consider bringing their truck “Big Blue” to Alki in the meantime, Edison said they have it locked into a route “we’re pretty loyal to” – including the Saturday stops in High Point – so can’t change now, but once things get closer, they do hope to bring it here. They say they have had their liquor license approved already. They promise “we are wedded to be on Alki for the long term – 10 to 20 years in this area. … If we miss part of this summer, it’s OK, because we have another 10 summers (at least) here.” Saxton also said they would love to host an ACC meeting once they’re open; asked if they would return to the council in a month with an update, they said they would love to be back with an opening date. “We don’t think there’s an evil machine working against us,” Roz insisted – it’s just the way things have turned out.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Isn't that just typical. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing. A decade of doing business there and they suddenly get kicked out in favor of another vendor who now can't do anything because the place was never permitted properly and even though they have a liqueur license and building permits they don't have permission to go ahead with their remodeling. Ain't bureaucracy just great!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

West Seattle Blog has an update
The fence is up, the windows are covered, and intensive work is under way at the Seacrest Boathouse as Marination gets ready to open its first West Seattle bricks-and-mortar location, after three years of bringing its truck to the peninsula on Saturday. This afternoon we spoke with Marination co-owner Kamala Saxton for an update, six weeks after they announced the start of construction – and the official name...
Sounds like they are planning on a late September or early October opening.
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

renoun wrote:West Seattle Blog has an update
The fence is up, the windows are covered, and intensive work is under way at the Seacrest Boathouse as Marination gets ready to open its first West Seattle bricks-and-mortar location, after three years of bringing its truck to the peninsula on Saturday. This afternoon we spoke with Marination co-owner Kamala Saxton for an update, six weeks after they announced the start of construction – and the official name...
Sounds like they are planning on a late September or early October opening.
Sounds like I'll be doing some nomming late September or early October! :burntchef:
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I sure hope it's going to be a casual, diver-friendly kind of place, rather than another Salty's type establishment.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

LCF wrote:I sure hope it's going to be a casual, diver-friendly kind of place, rather than another Salty's type establishment.
Marination is about as friendly and casual as it gets, and I am looking forward to dripping their pork torta on my dry suit! Of course, friendliness towards divers would probably ultimately depend on how friendly we are to them.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!