Great time at Edmonds today

General banter about diving and why we love it.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Great time at Edmonds today

Post by LCF »

I went diving this morning with nwcid, his girlfriend, and a fellow named Brian who is apparently on this board, but I don't know his screen name. All three were relatively novice divers, and I met them at Edmonds. We had perfect conditions for diving -- a little wind from the south, but the water was absolutely still and smooth and there was no current. Viz wasn't bad, at 15 to 20. There were a LOT of divers there!

We went out Jetty Way and saw a bunch of lings and a couple of cabezons, including one on eggs who was pretty scrappy (he was in one of the little boats). I got to do my cave diver thing through the culvert sections. I showed them the beautiful tubeworms, and how they are sensitive to pressure waves in the water. We found a bunch of Tritonia festivas, some of them quite big, and some really gorgeous painted anemones.

But the highlight of the dive, critter-wise, was what I think was a juvenile crescent gunnel that I spotted swimming in the water column. He was about 4 inches long, maybe 3/8 of an inch tall, and GREEN -- which is why I had to look him up in Andy Lamb's book, because I've never seen a crescent that was green. I put my hand under him as he was swimming, and he began crawling up and down through my fingers. I was grinning ear to ear, but I'm not sure my companions realized just how exciting and special a thing that was. After a minute or so, he took off into the water again. What a neat thing to have happen!

The dive had its ups and downs (kind of literally, actually) and ended with a longer surface swim than I would have liked to have them do, but all three seemed really delighted with what they saw. We repaired to the pub up the road that has the table around the firepit -- we didn't get that table, but I had some first-class beef stew to help warm me up.

As we walked out of the place, it felt like late Spring -- warm, sunny, and the view of the Olympics was breath-taking.

It can be SO much fun to show people from out of town around, or play big buddy and site guide to newer divers. I love being able to stop and point out anemones and starfish, and stuff that "experienced" divers no longer find exciting. It was a great day!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Great time at Edmonds today

Post by Nwcid »

I just sent you, Bob and Brian all emails thanking you for the experience.

I know Beth and I had a wonderful time and cant wait to do it again. Hopefully we will have our basics down a little bit better, but as you know we all start somewhere. Now that I have a heated trailer and knowing what ~42* water feels like I am not worried about getting in here and doing short dives to practice the basics. Hopefully that way we will have a couple more dives in before we see Bob in April for "clinic".

It was a wonderful day all around for sure.

Thanks again.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Toe
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Toe »

Thank you for diving with us! (This is Brian). I had a BLAST and loved seeing all the cool critters. I can't wait to do it again. Thanks again for going with us and being our guide! Hope we can do it again soon.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

John .. did Bethany try the fins I loaned you? And if so, did it help her floaty feet issue?

Glad to have met the two of you Friday evening, and for being able to spend some time talking diving together ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I believe those among us who enjoy diving the most are those who remember the excitment when the first flounder flapped up from the sand, or the marvel at seeing a starfish with 24 arms. Similar to your experience, I found a gunnel swimming in the water column at EUP. When I tried to show it to my buddies, a lingcod shot out of the gloom and devoured it with a single gulp. I felt bad for the little fella. Good job. Sharing your experience with newbies reminds you what attracted you to SCUBA diving. I hope we can get together some day.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Grateful Diver wrote:John .. did Bethany try the fins I loaned you? And if so, did it help her floaty feet issue?

Glad to have met the two of you Friday evening, and for being able to spend some time talking diving together ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

She did use them. I asked her and the reply was that she was focused on everything else that she didnt really notice.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

oldsalt, I think you are SO right . . . and one of the reasons I love diving with new divers is that I can get excited all over again about purple starfish, and they don't mind.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

oldsalt wrote:I believe those among us who enjoy diving the most are those who remember the excitment when the first flounder flapped up from the sand, or the marvel at seeing a starfish with 24 arms. Similar to your experience, I found a gunnel swimming in the water column at EUP. When I tried to show it to my buddies, a lingcod shot out of the gloom and devoured it with a single gulp. I felt bad for the little fella. Good job. Sharing your experience with newbies reminds you what attracted you to SCUBA diving. I hope we can get together some day.
heh... I just went for my first dive at Keystone yesterday with my brother and a group from Evergreen in Everett - and I was astounded at the walls of big white plumose anenomes on the jetty! I had other issues with my camera, but WOW... Us newbies appreciate the time you experienced folks take for us :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Jim (and purple starfish might be common as mud but they're still pretty cool :) )
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

RoxnDox wrote:
oldsalt wrote:I believe those among us who enjoy diving the most are those who remember the excitment when the first flounder flapped up from the sand, or the marvel at seeing a starfish with 24 arms. Similar to your experience, I found a gunnel swimming in the water column at EUP. When I tried to show it to my buddies, a lingcod shot out of the gloom and devoured it with a single gulp. I felt bad for the little fella. Good job. Sharing your experience with newbies reminds you what attracted you to SCUBA diving. I hope we can get together some day.
heh... I just went for my first dive at Keystone yesterday with my brother and a group from Evergreen in Everett - and I was astounded at the walls of big white plumose anenomes on the jetty! I had other issues with my camera, but WOW... Us newbies appreciate the time you experienced folks take for us :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Jim (and purple starfish might be common as mud but they're still pretty cool :) )
I had fun... and purple starfish are pretty cool
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo