Haters, gaiters, and other off-topic drivel - split topic

General banter about diving and why we love it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Whats your worst diving mistake,and can you admit it?

Post by CaptnJack »

Gaitors are one of those things which seem very important to new-ish drysuit divers but after awhile get left in the box. I have not figured out what exactly changes in the process unfortunately.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Thats the way I'm looking at it, is use it for awhile to get squared away on venting earlier
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Kinda like ankle vents, thought I had to have them, now they stay closed.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Well, I posted my biggest mistake and what I learned from it... Hopefully it remains my biggest and any mistakes from now on will be littler ones. :80sdance:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Whats your worst diving mistake,and can you admit it?

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Gaitors are one of those things which seem very important to new-ish drysuit divers but after awhile get left in the box. I have not figured out what exactly changes in the process unfortunately.
What changed for me was getting a drysuit that wasn't nearly as loose around my legs. That Pinnacle suit required me to go almost vertical to get all the trapped gas out of my legs.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Linedog wrote:Kinda like ankle vents, thought I had to have them, now they stay closed.
Yeah back when I had an Apollo I made those springs so tight they were disabled too. Nothing like having all your warm suit gas dump out your ankles! Nevermind the inability to be trim in the water.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

CaptnJack wrote:Gaitors are one of those things which seem very important to new-ish drysuit divers but after awhile get left in the box. I have not figured out what exactly changes in the process unfortunately.
I think the difference is just that you get used to it, so when you start to notice gas in your legs you just deal with it and stay ahead of it, rather than getting stressed out about it....
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

lamont wrote:
I think the difference is just that you get used to it, so when you start to notice gas in your legs you just deal with it and stay ahead of it, rather than getting stressed out about it....
Does anyone want to buy some halcyon gaitors? Barely used, I got 2 pair in the box in the garage... $20/pair
spatman
I've Got Gills

Whats your worst diving mistake,and can you admit it?

Post by spatman »

lamont wrote:
Who said anything about being stressed out about it? Gaiters work for certain people in certain situations. I don't see why people feel the need to comment on it.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

CaptnJack wrote:
lamont wrote:
Does anyone want to buy some halcyon gaitors? Barely used, I got 2 pair in the box in the garage... $20/pair
crap, now you tell me...:(

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

spatman wrote:
lamont wrote:
Who said anything about being stressed out about it? Gaiters work for certain people in certain situations. I don't see why people feel the need to comment on it.
I do get abit stressed though, knowing towards that last 1/4 of the dive, I gotta get that air out of my legs or get really feet floaty.

The gaiters are stop gap, perhaps the new thermal fusion versus the primaloft mk3 will let that air migrate better, etc.

I dunno.

One of those things I just gotta figure out.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jeff Pack wrote:One of those things I just gotta figure out.
And that's really the bottom line. What works for someone else may not work for you. So, you try different things until something clicks.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

spatman wrote:
lamont wrote:
...I think he meant stressed out one the dive regarding getting the gas out, not stressed about on the Internet discussing who needs and doesn't need gaiters! (Unless he did mean that of course :)
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Jeremy wrote:

Diver 1: "Hey, I heard CO2Nurse uses sea cucumbers as sex toys on her dives."

Diver 2: "Really? I'm not sure I agree with that!"

Diver 1: "Yeah, me either. I guess we should avoid or keep away from her."]

New signature line anyone? :rofl:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BASSMAN wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

My PMs to CO2Nurse are bouncing dammit?!?
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

You forgot to mention "Cheap Rubber Stirrup Thingy". It's all she really cares about these days..... :joshsmith:
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

sitkadiver wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:
Jeremy wrote:

You forgot to mention "Cheap Rubber Stirrup Thingy". It's all she really cares about these days..... :joshsmith:
Hey I have finkeepers will they do? Same size I think... :luv:
Raydar
Dive-aholic

Post by Raydar »

lamont wrote:
This. I went through the gaiter phase, thinking I needed them to keep the air out. Then something clicked and it wasn't an issue. Part of it was that I stopped using my drysuit for buoyancy and part was learning the gas bubble and how I affected its movement.

Staying ahead of the buoyancy curve is pretty important. :)

I wear fin keepers now but that's primarily because of the DUI turbosoles 'boots'.
Purveyor of crack ;)
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Haters, gaiters, and other off-topic drivel - split topi

Post by Jeff Pack »

I absolutely do not use my suit for buoyancy, just to remove squeeze. My whites fusion typically is pretty form fitting, so not much of a bubble to manage, but obviously enough towards the end of the dive to cause issues for me. But this is also compounded by my bent knee kicks, which traps the air where I really dont want it trapped.

Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Form fitting suit, that's why I don't have one :nutty:
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

limeyx wrote: ...I think he meant stressed out one the dive regarding getting the gas out, not stressed about on the Internet discussing who needs and doesn't need gaiters! (Unless he did mean that of course :)
yep. first drysuit had super baggy legs. when i was learning to dive, gas would get in there, it would screw up my trim, screw up my bouyancy and it'd feel weird to kick, which stressed me out. so i used gaitors for 125 dives or so. then after awhile i took them off and found that i didn't need them any more since i'd learned to feel the bubble and stay ahead of it, and i didn't even let it get to the point where it felt all clustery just to kick...
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Jeff Pack wrote:I absolutely do not use my suit for buoyancy, just to remove squeeze. My whites fusion typically is pretty form fitting, so not much of a bubble to manage, but obviously enough towards the end of the dive to cause issues for me. But this is also compounded by my bent knee kicks, which traps the air where I really dont want it trapped.
Simple solution. You said, you mostly have issues towards the end of the dive, so when you feel floaty on your legs or it starts to affect your bouyancy, motion your body to go upright and you will notice the air rise from your lower extremity towards your upper body, then to your left shoulder for you to vent it. It takes practice. Who says, you can't go upright for a moment to expel excess air in you suit? Nobody. You might not look cool, but it's okay. With a caveat, that you're not in a cave dive, wreck dive or any dive with an overhead environment. As long as you're in control of the situation, it's okay. As a matter of fact, you don't even have to completely go vertical to channel gas in your drysuit. Just needs practice. Bottom line is, in the future, you wanna control the air in the suit while maintaining trim, if you can.

Just my humble opinion.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Huh?? I didn't authorize this split thread..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

I doubt that its your feet.

Lower your tank (loosen shoulder straps, tighten crotch strap). Balance your kit for the "end" of your dive, then use body position to 'fix' you at start of dive when its full and you are more foot heavy. The difference is amazing and with regards to body position it just means your legs are bent closer to 90 at the start of the dive and slightly more extended at end of dive.

In my opinion, the 'end' of the dive (when you are doing deco or safety stop) is when I personally want have the MOST stable platform, most able to relax and not be fighting gear etc... because that is when i'm more likely to be cold and or tired and also most important to be able to control ascent and stops.

Its kind of like they say about anesthesia and surgery... Putting you to sleep is easy, its waking you up that is the expensive part.

Jeff Pack wrote:I absolutely do not use my suit for buoyancy, just to remove squeeze. My whites fusion typically is pretty form fitting, so not much of a bubble to manage, but obviously enough towards the end of the dive to cause issues for me. But this is also compounded by my bent knee kicks, which traps the air where I really dont want it trapped.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

H20doctor wrote:Huh?? I didn't authorize this split thread..
who said it was your thread? :smt064