Missing diver off of blake island

General banter about diving and why we love it.
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Missing diver off of blake island

Post by kat »

Hoping for the best.

http://www.king5.com/news/Diver-missing ... 19005.html

The Coast Guard, along with Port Orchard and Seattle Fire Departments, are searching for a missing diver near Blake Island, Wash.

Coast Guard Sector Puget Sound received a call at approximately 11:50 a.m., reporting a diver failed to surface near shore just south of Blake Island.

The Coast Guard sent two 25-foot response boat crews and a 45-foot response boat crew from Station Seattle, an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Air Station Port Angeles and Cutter Wahoo to the scene to conduct a search.

Port Orchard and Seattle Fire Depts. are also on scene with divers attempting to locate the missing diver as well.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Re: Missing diver off of blake island

Post by Don-B »

me and Kitsapdiver were looking at there last sunday.
there were a lot of boats fishing so we didn't go in.

hopefully he just got caught in the current and pulled away from the island and will be found ok.
let keep are fingers crossed and hope for the best.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

My heart fell through the floor when I saw the header. Here's hoping that they find him alive.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

We lost a ling spearo there last year too; its a tough reef to dive with substantial current. Sounds like he might have had a heart attack. RIP
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Huh.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/201 ... ke-island/

This indicates he was diving surface supplied air. Kind of unusual.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Strange, The 11 o-clock news said they were wearing safety vests which might indicate surface air?????
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Maybe they were using a Brownies or something like that? Not too common around here but they are seen elsewhere.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mattwave
Amphibian

Post by mattwave »

Sad news, regretfully a past customer, friend and the father of a very close friend. My condolences to the people involved and prayers for the loss to all who will miss him. I am not certain of the details, but as far as I know they were diving conventional dive equipment and something went terribly wrong. Like all Diving incidents, let us keep in check that the Ocean (or Lake) doesnt care about you and will swallow you up the same. Safe diving.
"Scuba Like You Love It!"
Let's go diving
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Unfortunately allot of these incidents are due to health issues rather than diving issues and in most cases nothing could have been done to prevent them. What would have been a correctable or recoverable situation becomes a fatality when it happens underwater. The real shame is that in most cases all anyone ever hears is a diving death occurred today and little or no follow up so the sport suffers too. Of the many fatalities this year I wonder how many were actually due to equipment failure or diver error? I bet it's a small percentage.

It always hurts to hear a fellow diver didn't make it back. Even if we never knew him. It's a small community and we are all kindred spirits.
My heart goes out to the family and friends for the deep and saddening hole that this will leave in their lives. I hope they will be able to find him so the family will have some form of closure.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Body ... 19195.html

Looks like they found his body. Continuing to pray for the family.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com