Never seen this before underwater!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Never seen this before underwater!

Post by nwscubamom »

I was diving at Point Lobos near Monterey last weekend and came across this. Thought it was a shirt at first, and didn't quite know what to make of it, until after the dive and my buddy told me what she thought it was. Someone's cremated last remains.
- Janna
IMG_5356.JPG
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
archaeofish
Aquaphile

Re: Never seen this before underwater!

Post by archaeofish »

Unfortunately not an uncommon sight at dive sites near urban areas:
http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php ... ed#p176763

I for one am considering having my ashes incorporated into a cement structure that would at least provide some habitat rather than smothering some poor invertebrates under the bag.
While it's generally acknowledged that wetsuit divers are a shade or two crazier than the rest of us, we're all special idiots for voluntarily diving in dark, cold, water! - scottsax
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I ran into this in PT and I for one think it's pretty tacky on the part of the person doing the disposal. If your going to do the burial at sea thing spread the ashes and don't just chuck the whole thing in. I'm sure the deceased did not plan on becoming pollution in the ocean that they obviously loved.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Dusty2 wrote:I'm sure the deceased did not plan on becoming pollution in the ocean that they obviously loved.
Well said!
DiverChris
Avid Diver

Post by DiverChris »

One of my dive buddies found remains in cove 2 in waste deep water. They were also in a bag which was inside a box. It was not the same remains found which were referenced in the link above.

Thinking he had found a geo cache he opened the bag dumped it out and only then realized what it was.
"Fix the first problem fully and calmly before you even think about the second problem"
-Shadow Divers (Robert Kurson)

http://www.theperfectdive.com

SSI Advanced Open Water Instructor
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah, that's just somewhere between stupid and lazy. My brother and I scattered my Mother's ashes at Cove 2, and I brought the plastic bag back and put it in the garbage.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

The Neptune Society does ashes into the water things. But I don't think the urn goes with them. My ashes are to be incorporated into the Memorial Reef in Florida. Already picked out my spot, paid for it, and it's just waiting for me. Really want to get down to Florida to dive the site sometime before it's my eternal resting place. Maybe next year...
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Scatter people SCATTER...

for the record, when I get placed into the Puget Sound, please reference my post on NWDC

Step one: Open the urn
Step two: Scatter ashes into water
Step three: dispose of urn in proper receptacle.
Step four: profit
Last edited by Norris on Thu May 31, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

Someone placed an urn at Langley right up on the breakwater at 18ft. The urn was clearly placed there by a diver because it was upright and nestled in tight. This is worse than a non diver who dumps the ashes off a beach. The diver could have swum another 20 feet and tucked that urn in any of the one million tires and other divers would not have to look at it.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I found one at Cove2 on the Honeybear. Not knowing what it was, I ripped it apart, and started blowing it around, and swimming through it... That's when I thought to myself "Hey, that's not a Kilo of coke. Those are bone flakes." and saw the cremation tag..... oops.... It took me a while to get him out of my drysuit.

D
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

defied wrote:I found one at Cove2 on the Honeybear. Not knowing what it was, I ripped it apart, and started blowing it around, and swimming through it... That's when I thought to myself "Hey, that's not a Kilo of coke. Those are bone flakes." and saw the cremation tag..... oops.... It took me a while to get him out of my drysuit.

D
At least they got a couple of more dives in :taco:
60south
Pelagic

Post by 60south »

I want my ashes to serve a useful purpose...

Please mix them with concrete and form them into the shape of a brick. Then throw the brick at anyone who doesn't spread ashes properly.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Dusty2 wrote:I ran into this in PT and I for one think it's pretty tacky on the part of the person doing the disposal. If your going to do the burial at sea thing spread the ashes and don't just chuck the whole thing in. I'm sure the deceased did not plan on becoming pollution in the ocean that they obviously loved.
WORD

anyone know what the hell that really means?.... :rawlings:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

60south wrote:I want my ashes to serve a useful purpose...

Please mix them with concrete and form them into the shape of a brick. Then throw the brick at anyone who doesn't spread ashes properly.
:rofl:

I can think of lots of people I'd like my brick to be thrown at...hmm, this has major potential...
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

eliseaboo wrote:
60south wrote:I want my ashes to serve a useful purpose...

:rofl:

I can think of lots of people I'd like my brick to be thrown at...hmm, this has major potential...
This could become a real trend! Another list we should each draw up, especially since bricks are reusable and not limited to one target... :pirate:

Maybe these guys just had a weak grip and the urn & bag went overboard when they slipped trying to open the bag :eek:

Alexitt and I had different issues with our dad - his chosen spot for scattering was up along hte Pacific Crest Trail in the N. Cascades, and his marker was a big HEAVY river rock one of his brothers had engraved. We had to take turns carrying that bloody stone up the trail, and it could've really been "interesting" had it slipped...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."