T-dock hazard

General banter about diving and why we love it.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

T-dock hazard

Post by oldsalt »

Mukboat6.jpg
I was irritated when this commercial crab boat came in and dropped pots among the divers at the T-dock. I know there are crab there, but really. I may be an oversensitive whiner since I was hit by a boat once and nearly lost an arm. The divers in the forground are an openwater class standing in the shallows doing their first dive.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Re: T-dock hazard

Post by Don-B »

Those guys dont give a s#*t.
last week they(a different boat) had pots spread out all over Rich Passage .
the ferry had to run them over to get thru.
Last edited by Don-B on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Isnt there a "Dive Flag" buoy on the 130' boat?

I think there was still one a couple of months ago and they are supposed to stay well away from that.

Also - who-ever is doing that class is supposed to have a dive flag out to keep boaters out of the area.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

WOW.... I think that got read into a little to much ?? Followed by a little sarcasm of your own, but at least it was polite !

Koos is right, there are no dive flags visible in the photo to indicate that any divers are nearby.
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Jeez, there's another nwdc dont...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Blow-N-Bubbles wrote:WOW.... I think that got read into a little to much ?? Followed by a little sarcasm of your own, but at least it was polite !

Koos is right, there are no dive flags visible in the photo to indicate that any divers are nearby.
Just because it's not in the photo doesn't mean it's not there. The line to the 130' boat has a permanent dive flag attached to it. Unless somebody did some major work to remove it in the last week, it's still there.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

As close as that boat is, the dive flag might be on the far side of it??
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Note- deleted my post. Seems I over reacted.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Jeff Pack wrote:Jeez, there's another nwdc dont...
Jeff,
I believe it's called being objective. You've got a photo that only shows a boat, and divers, no flag. The OP can respond to that message with "Dang, there was no flag!", or "Nah, the flag was just to the right of the photo."

D
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

defied wrote:
Jeff,
I believe it's called being objective. You've got a photo that only shows a boat, and divers, no flag. The OP can respond to that message with "Dang, there was no flag!", or "Nah, the flag was just to the right of the photo."

D
Jeff was refering to my (now deleted) post.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Joshua Smith wrote:
defied wrote:
Jeff,

D
Jeff was refering to my (now deleted) post.
Ah, roger that. He seems the sensitive type this week.

D
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

There were two dive flags. One is hidden by the boat and the other to the left of the picture.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The crab boat looks to be at least 100ft maybe 200ft away from the divers. And there's no obligation to stay XYZ feet away from a dive flag anyway. A "permanent dive flag" is essentially meaningless, its not supposed to be flown when divers aren't in the water.
As callous as it sounds, its no blood, no foul.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

CaptnJack wrote:The crab boat looks to be at least 100ft maybe 200ft away from the divers. And there's no obligation to stay XYZ feet away from a dive flag anyway. A "permanent dive flag" is essentially meaningless, its not supposed to be flown when divers aren't in the water.
I couldn't believe that was true, so I went to look it up...looks like there was at one point a requirement to stay 200ft away (http://www.boaterexam.com/usa/washingto ... =6&page=15), but I can't find it linked directly from WA Parks and Rec. All it says in the current boater handbook is that if you're diving you must be flying them...not what boaters should do when they encounter one.

That is severely disappointing...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

eliseaboo wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:The crab boat looks to be at least 100ft maybe 200ft away from the divers. And there's no obligation to stay XYZ feet away from a dive flag anyway. A "permanent dive flag" is essentially meaningless, its not supposed to be flown when divers aren't in the water.
I couldn't believe that was true, so I went to look it up...looks like there was at one point a requirement to stay 200ft away (http://www.boaterexam.com/usa/washingto ... =6&page=15), but I can't find it linked directly from WA Parks and Rec. All it says in the current boater handbook is that if you're diving you must be flying them...not what boaters should do when they encounter one.

That is severely disappointing...
Pretty much, the new State Parks boater education materials are at least teaching what a dive flag is. But how far away to stay is left up to judgement and common sense, which are sorely lacking in many.

Personally if there are divers in the water I stay away about 100ft if I'm at idle speed and can see their locations from bubbles. I may get closer to e.g. tie off to the same mooring buoy. I'm like 100+ yards if I'm faster than idle speed. If you're a bubble-less diver you should realize that even savy boaters can't figure out where you are at all.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

T-dock hazard

Post by kdupreez »

yeah I also thought vessels not engaged in diving operations should remain at least 200 feet from a displayed flag.

not sure I it's just a common sense thing when educating boaters it if it's actually law.

my common sense says if a commercial crabbing vessel runs over a diver and there was multiple dive flags that he ignored, he might be in a spot of trouble.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

kdupreez wrote:yeah I also thought vessels not engaged in diving operations should remain at least 200 feet from a displayed flag.
There's no minimum distance at all. The rules of the road do not address how boats/ships should or should not approach swimmers or divers. Some cities and counties have attempted to write rules for this circumstance, but they are sporadic, inconsistent and basically ignored.

dive defensively, the law of tonnage applies.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:.. the law of tonnage applies.

Hahaha - no kidding! I wish damn pedestrians had the same commons sense !
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Historically, Jefferson County has been the most aggressive about dive flags. To the point of issuing tickets for non-compliant divers. Mark and Don (Down time) have made them more aware that boaters zooming by said dive flags are at least if not more of an actual problem than lazy divers failing to fly a flag.