Truck Bed Lining the Nose of a Scooter

General banter about diving and why we love it.
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Truck Bed Lining the Nose of a Scooter

Post by dewmercer »

So I just bought a new Dive-X Cuda 400 painted in a nice Smooth Red. After a couple of dives I noticed that it was starting to get pretty scratched up from being dragged on the beach and general underwater abuse. I had seen that some folks applied truck bed liner to the nose of their scoots and that it looked pretty good. I brought it to Rhino Liner in Everett but they kept putting the work off so I decided to do it myself. Here is t step by step of what I did.

I started off by masking off the line that I wanted the paint to end. I used Frog Tape from Home Depot because some experimentation with regular masking tape was not very successful as the truck bed liner tends to eat the tape and bleed through the line.
Frog Tape
Frog Tape
I then scuffed the area with emery cloth.

I removed the tape, washed the area with Goof Off followed by soap and water then alcohol and allowed it to dry. I then replaced the tape and pressed it very firmly to the tube.
Masked and Sanded
Masked and Sanded
A very important part of the masking process is to ensure you get NO paint on the zinc thingy in the indentation at the nose of the scoot. The zinc acts as a sacrificial anode and MUST be well electrically connected to the scoot (through the center bolt) and to the water. If you mess this up the steel fasteners will corrode and general badness will ensue.
Anode Masking
Anode Masking
I then assembled and suspended the scoot with a chord from the eve of my garage so that I could spin it while painting. Having the battery in the scoot helps as it lends more inertia to the spinning scoot and thus reduces wobble and keeps the speed constant.
Suspended Scoot
Suspended Scoot
The next step was to mask the rest of the scooter body with paper to protect it from overspray. I doubled the paper as the spray is very aggressive in how it penetrates and tends to soak through a single layer.
Fully Masked Scoot
Fully Masked Scoot
I chose Rust-Oleum truck bed lining. The choice was simply because it was all I could find.
Spray Can of Truck Bed Liner
Spray Can of Truck Bed Liner
After shaking the can for several minutes I spun the scoot, held the can about 18” away and applied the first coat. I looked for runs and simply lightly brushed them away with the edge of a paper towel. After 2 min I applied a second coat and just lived with runs. They will shrink as they dry. After waiting another 10 min I applied a thin coat to the underside as it tends to take the most abuse.
Coated
Coated
After an hour I removed the masking and admired the results.
Unmasked
Unmasked
Sharp Line
Sharp Line
I then brought the scoot inside where it will cure for 72 hrs.

DAve
--
DAve Mercer
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: Truck Bed Lining the Nose of a Scooter

Post by defied »

Very nice!
Any reason why you left the tail attached during the paint job? I'd imagine it being lighter, and easier to cover without it (Your shroud being exposed in your pics) would be cleaner.

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nose looks nice, please post follow-up pics in the coming months. Even with the anode, the SS fasteners still create stray current causing the paint to bubble near them as the aluminum corrodes.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

How much did it affect your trim?

Did you look into any other options, like Epoxy Appliance Paint?
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

defied wrote:Very nice!
Any reason why you left the tail attached during the paint job? I'd imagine it being lighter, and easier to cover without it (Your shroud being exposed in your pics) would be cleaner.

D
In the fully masked pic you will see that the tail is attached. Well, its there under the masking.

The picture of the coated scoot was taken just after I removed the tail masking.

Why did I leave the tail on? More weight is better as the increased inertia keeps the spin velocity more constant.
--
DAve Mercer
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

Jeff Pack wrote:How much did it affect your trim?

I'll be diving it on Wed PM so I'll know more about trim then. I don't expect much of a change as the mass of the coating is quite low.

I did consider epoxy appliance paint. I went with truck bed liner as it seems to be more commonly used on scoots.
--
DAve Mercer
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I had been thinking about doing this to the entire nose of my scooter (It's already black, and it's scratched to all hell by a cave diver). It looks good. Depending on trim/buoyancy characteristics, and how well it holds up, I may give it a shot.

D
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

dewmercer wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:How much did it affect your trim?

I'll be diving it on Wed PM so I'll know more about trim then. I don't expect much of a change as the mass of the coating is quite low.

I did consider epoxy appliance paint. I went with truck bed liner as it seems to be more commonly used on scoots.
There was an episode in Myth Busters were they used ‘truck bed liner’ and stressed in under different test, though I am not sure about the OTC can stuff. The actual bed liner stuff is bomb proof.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JOXrpCLCJg
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
dewmercer
Avid Diver

RE: Truck Bed Lining the Nose of a Scooter

Post by dewmercer »

Other than their inability to get their act together, I was very concerned about the thickness of Rhino Liner. They said that they're put it on thin but it still would have been about 1/8 in thick.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
--
DAve Mercer
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

KneeDeep wrote: There was an episode in Myth Busters were they used ‘truck bed liner’ and stressed in under different test, though I am not sure about the OTC can stuff. The actual bed liner stuff is bomb proof.
bed liners don't holdup to the SS edge on doubles bands
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

CaptnJack wrote:
bed liners don't holdup to the SS edge on doubles bands
+1 My liner is falling apart from bands.
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
dewmercer
Avid Diver

RE: Truck Bed Lining the Nose of a Scooter

Post by dewmercer »

Dove it this am. No impact on trim. I need to apply a couple of more coats to the underside. Either that or learn how to scooter.

--
DAve Mercer
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Kewl...

=======================================================
George Carlins Mom Says: George! I'll Wash your mouth out with Soap!
George Says: I"ll Blow Bubbles out My Butt!
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Jeff Pack wrote:Kewl...

George Carlins Mom Says: George! I'll Wash your mouth out with Soap!
George Says: I"ll Blow Bubbles out My Butt!

Whats George Carlin have to do with painting scooters?

George Carlin:Did you ever notice that? How many really stupid people you run into during the day?
Goddam there's a lot of stupid bastards walking around. Carry a little pad and pencil with you. You'll wind up with thirty or forty names by the end of the day.
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Re: RE: Truck Bed Lining the Nose of a Scooter

Post by Chris Borgen »

dewmercer wrote:Other than their inability to get their act together, I was very concerned about the thickness of Rhino Liner. They said that they're put it on thin but it still would have been about 1/8 in thick.

I used the exact same rattle can "bedliner" that you are using on my cuda 800 that I had. It worked pretty well, but it seemed to be only as tough as the original cuda paint...the slightly gritty black. I would just spray paint it again as it got scratched up. Then when I sold my 800 and got a cuda 400 I decided to get it Rhino lined. I have been much more happy with the Rhino lining as its thicker, more "rubbery", and doesn't scratch up like the rattle can stuff. I have had my cuda 400 for about 8 months now and the front looks brand new. I also didn't notice any difference in the scooters trim between, original paint job, rattle can paint, and the thicker Rhino lining.
Attachments
2011-10-19 18.07.27.jpg
Maritime Documentation Society
http://www.maritimedocumentation.org
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

How much did the Rhino Lining set you back?
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

Jeff Pack wrote:How much did the Rhino Lining set you back?
$40.00
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Chris Borgen wrote:
$40.00
Did they (The Rhino Liners) do all the masking or did you have to do that for them?
Chris Borgen
Compulsive Diver

Post by Chris Borgen »

diverden wrote:
Chris Borgen wrote:
$40.00
Did they (The Rhino Liners) do all the masking or did you have to do that for them?
They did everything including the masking. I brought it in there, told them what I wanted then picked it up. FYI...they spray it as they do other larger jobs. So if you want them to get it done in a timely manner, I always tell them I need it for something important in like 3 days from the day I drop it off, that way they don't put it off.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

Definitely worth $40 if they do all the work, IMHO.
DiveZen
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DiveZen »

Chris, Where did you take yours? I see a Rhino Liner place... but which one in particular [e.g. these guys http://www.rhinonw.com/]?

Thanks!
DiveZen
Frequent Bubbler

Post by DiveZen »

Chris replied, yes that's the place. I chatted with Jason. Super nice!
DiveZen wrote: http://www.rhinonw.com/]
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

Well my overall rating is favorable. The truck bed liner gets ding'd up a bit and will probably needs another coat or two but all in all its worked well.
--
DAve Mercer
JayO
Avid Diver

Post by JayO »

DAve,

I want to look at your scooter tomorrow as I'm looking at doing the same thing. Pictures looked good.
dewmercer
Avid Diver

Post by dewmercer »

Ill be there around 1600 or so
--
DAve Mercer