Am I really going to freeze in a wetsuit?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
drgoogle
Just Settling In

Post by drgoogle »

Just a quick question because I am new to diving in the PNW. I know that a lot of people dive dry, but is it common to see people with wetsuits? I'm obviously not going to jump into a dry suit for a couple months, but my question is if diving is doable in a wetsuit? I used to go surfing in NorCal and got by with a 5mm (of course it was on the surface), but it got cold some times. I know logically that the further north you go the colder it gets and I am a little afraid to jump into water with a 7mm and go 15 to 20 meters and freeze my butt off.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Re: Am I really going to freeze in a wetsuit?

Post by RoxnDox »

It varies from person to person... Most of the people diving here are using drysuits, but there are some in wetsuits. And a rather large number of us used wetsuits until we could scrape up the price of a drysuit. I went for quite a while wet and didn't mind. You'll be wanting a full 7mm here, but it's certainly doable. Of course, you'll also have folks jumping in and telling you you will be horribly unhappy with anything but a drysuit, but really it's not so bad. And, if you do a few dives here wet, you'll have something to compare it to when you *do* eventually go dry :angelblue:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

I guess i am kind of in the same boat as you (getting back into scuba and buying new wetsuit)...I believe you will be fine with a 7mm wet suit so long as you are being active. if you are sitting in one place underwater and not moving (why would you but not the point) you will probably get cold. i bet it is the same for if your in a dry suit as well.

I am going wetsuit because i can use it free diving, boogie boarding, and scuba diving.

I am sure there are others who have owned both and can give you a detailed answer....
mandible
Getting To Know Folks

Post by mandible »

you're gonna get about 5 pages of personal opinion, just go dive it and see.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

WaGigKpn wrote:I believe you will be fine with a 7mm wet suit so long as you are being active. if you are sitting in one place underwater and not moving (why would you but not the point)
Photography, for one.

As a diver get more comfortable with buoyancy, the need to move lessens dramatically. Also there is a tremendous amount to see on a very small scale, most of which you will miss if you're constantly swimming.
drgoogle
Just Settling In

Post by drgoogle »

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I'll just put one on and dive.
RDW
Aquaphile

Post by RDW »

Freeze? No (Too cold 'round here for ice to form) Comfy? Should be no problem. Just remember:

In the days of old,
When dives were cold,
Drysuits not yet invented.

The best latrine was neoprene,
Especially, when rented.

(two kinds of divers use wetsuits. Those that pee in their suits and those what lies about it)
Randy Williams

"Man who say it cannot be done should not bother man who is doing it."
drgoogle
Just Settling In

Post by drgoogle »

Thanks for the poem! It was really nice.
I’m sure the water won’t feel near to ice,
So I’ll just dive out of sincere advice.
I just hope I don’t shrivel up and pay the price.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

RDW wrote:Freeze? No (Too cold 'round here for ice to form) Comfy? Should be no problem. Just remember:

In the days of old,
When dives were cold,

Especially, when rented.

(two kinds of divers use wetsuits. Those that pee in their suits and those what lies about it)
ROFL!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

My first 100 dives in the PNW where in a wet suit.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Joshua Smith wrote:
RDW wrote:Freeze? No (Too cold 'round here for ice to form) Comfy? Should be no problem. Just remember:

In the days of old,
When dives were cold,

Especially, when rented.

ROFL!
truly sig worthy' and ruthlessly stolen now...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I've dove winters in the North Atlantic, back before there even were drysuits and BCD's, and didnt freeze. And to depths I wont even talk about here. You'll be just fine wet.

Unless you are just hovering, you'll stay warm enough. During summer months, the surface interval after a dive isnt so bad.

Winter months, you'll hate the SI and freeze your cajones.
Last edited by Jeff Pack on Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

You will most likely be fine. I dove my first winter in a wetsuit and it really was fine. It was multiple dives that started getting a little cold, and the surface intervals.

I also dive with a few people that elect to wear their wetsuits during the summer rather than dry. I say go for it!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

You will be cold. Not so much underwater as after dive #1 on the surface interval.

Can you do it? Of course! Pain tolerance / stubbornness / cold tolerance will determine how long.

A cooler full of hot water really helps, as does jacket, stocking cap, hot chocolate, etc.

Of course diving during the day on one of these 85 degree days will be wonderful! February not so much...

Good luck and have fun!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I think you will find with a few exceptions we all started out wet. Not necessarily because we wanted to but like you we just plain couldn't afford it. Most people do OK wet especially during the summer but when winter comes you will begin to covet a drysuit. getting out of a wetsuit, stripping to your birthday suit in the snow and wind is NOT fun. You will eventually find yourself making excuses not to dive and will either go dry or quit. Some do better than others but almost all will go dry.

So can you get by with a wetsuit?? yes. Will it be fun? :dontknow: for awhile. So there is no "go dry or die" rule but it sure are better when you do. :partydance: Most people who dive wet don't do 2 dives in a day. There are exceptions but I would advise waiting to see if this is going to become something you really want to continue. I would advise a 7mil farmer john or a 7mil with at least a 5 shorty over it. The double layer over the core area will keep you much warmer.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I dive wet in a Henderson Semi-dry. The last two and a half years have been a blast. :)

That's doing two, three dives a day.

In winter use hot water. You'll actually be warmer than the drysuit wusses. You'll also spend a lot of time waiting around for them to finally gear up. It takes me about 2 minutes to fully suit up.

Best part is you have a feel in the water that no drysuit can match. I sold my drysuit awhile ago. No need to bother with leaks, mobility, etc etc. My Semi-dry suit is bulletproof and very warm underwater in mid February.

My one complaint about diving wet is I can't dive doubles. If my wing failed I probably couldn't swim back to the surface. A drysuit is nice backup.
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

Even after I owned my first drysuit i would still use my wetsuit on hot summer days.
i did do 1 and i mean 1 dive in a wetsuit when it was 25 degrees out.
I was fine in the water but froze my ass off after.
also I think it depends on how deep your going to dive .50-60-70ft no problem .
130ft in a wetsuit ,you'll feel the cold and the squeeze not fun.
drgoogle
Just Settling In

Post by drgoogle »

Thanks for the comments. One last question. Does anyone know of a good place that sells a variety of wetsuits, bcs (b/w), brands/sizes to try on? Essentially, I have to buy my gear (again!). I got a mask, fins, snorkel, but the wetsuit and boots are definitely a no go for the NW.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

My husband dove wet for the first few months we were diving here. His conclusion was that, for the first dive, wet and dry were pretty much equivalent. It was the second dive where the dry suit divers had a big advantage. From watching folks on the SoCal charter boats (where the water is not quite as cold as here, but is in the high 50's to low 60's) I would say that was true. Only the dry suit divers do the third and fourth dives.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

drgoogle wrote:Thanks for the comments. One last question. Does anyone know of a good place that sells a variety of wetsuits, bcs (b/w), brands/sizes to try on? Essentially, I have to buy my gear (again!). I got a mask, fins, snorkel, but the wetsuit and boots are definitely a no go for the NW.

most shops rent wetsuits ,try one out first if you can before you by one.

If you don't mind driving try Tacoma Scuba.Josh is a great guy to deal with.
In Seattle I know theres Discount Divers .its been 15 years since i have been there.
They mostly deal with used gear and may have some suits to try on.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Underwater Sports is having their dive fair later this month, it might be worth it to see their selection/deals as well.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Lighthouse just had their big sale and may be still offering a good deal or two but Tacoma Scuba is my go to place. Several shops only keep there rentals in service for a year then sell them so you might find a good deal there. Wet suits are not finicky size wise like the dry suits so you could consider online stores as well as long as you close to one of the off the shelf sizes.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

drgoogle wrote:Thanks for the comments. One last question. Does anyone know of a good place that sells a variety of wetsuits, bcs (b/w), brands/sizes to try on? Essentially, I have to buy my gear (again!). I got a mask, fins, snorkel, but the wetsuit and boots are definitely a no go for the NW.
What size wetsuit would you wear? I have a large farmer john wetsuit and I think there might be just a small whole in the lower back where my backplate wore it. I also have size 11 boots. :smt064

Well I did not find the boots but I do have an XXL wetsuit hood
Attachments
DSC03867.JPG
DSC03868.JPG
I stuck my finger in to show the hole. you could aquaseal it.
I stuck my finger in to show the hole. you could aquaseal it.
Jeff Castor
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Unless your body size and shape is ridiculously average, I'd recommend a hyperstretch wetsuit. Henderson is the big name there, but Harvey makes it too. Getting in and out of the hyperstretch is so much easier than regular neoprene it's insane. The first time I tried one on after doing a dozen dives in the regular stuff, I said "No way it's that easy!" And it keeps you just as warm.

My wife, daughter and I dove wet for 2 years before finally making the switch. a 5 gallon thermos of hot water is a thing of beauty on a winter day when you're diving wet, and it's not that big a deal to carry one with your gear. How comfortable will you be? Depends in large part on how much body fat you carry, how fast your metabolism is and a host of other factors. But really, I know just as many people here who dive wet as dive dry. Once you get down there and start exploring the unique ecosystem that is Puget Sound, nothing else matters!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
drgoogle
Just Settling In

Post by drgoogle »

@Jeremy: Where could I purchase a semi-dry suit in Washington? I live in Seattle and don't mind driving, except if it's Spokane! Also, is there a general problem with wetsuits and diving doubles, or is it just you personally?

@pogiguy05: I think I need either a 3xl or 4xl. I am not sure if your wetsuit is that size?

@dwashbur: Where could I go to look at and try on a hyperstretch wetsuit? Are they sold locally, or do I have to order online?

Thanks everyone for the comments as usual. I really appreciate them all, they really help.